What was your first ever car?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Panda Integrale

Attachments

• 9A4A3118-8E0F-4594-A2C3-1D1812BC4C4D.jpeg
    9A4A3118-8E0F-4594-A2C3-1D1812BC4C4D.jpeg
    158.2 KB · Views: 8
Mine was a 1962 minivan , purchased in 1968 for £40 when I was 16. I bought it from Time garage, Bristol, where I used to work on the forecourt evenings and weekends. The garage was owned by former Triumph and Rootes Group rally driver Ian "Tiny" Lewis . A mate of mine replaced a burnt valve and skimmed the head for £3 , getting it ready in time for my 17th birthday.

I learned , and passed my test , in my dad's W115 , obviously a bit earlier than you ! The driving examiner guffawed the we stepped out of the test centre and I answered his question 'Which car is yours ?' !

Ditto !
😂😂😂 unfortunately I took my test in a first gen micra! And at 6”4 thats was a tad bit challenging!!! Lovely cars to drive, been downhill from there 😂😂😂

Morris marina 1.7L

My first car was a 1983 Y reg Black MG Metro Turbo. It cost £950 and the same to insure it.
I was 17 and thought it was awesome. Actually it was a proper pile of Sh!te

1962 Morris Minor 1000, given free as had been off road. Extensive welding and respray got it back on road in 1972.

1965 Morris Mini Minor Super DeLuxe, ENG 248C, in Maroon bought in 1969.

Was already a rust bucket when I bought it and 2 years later was scrap. There were holes in the floor and side sills, you could see the ground underneath, thank goodness for the carpets. The rear subframe was almost non existent at the end, but I had some good fun with it in those two years.

Ha special memories for me, that was where I became a proper man and lost my virginity, well boy still really.

BL knew how to build them not to last in those days :eek:

The super deluxe version came with a heater as standard.

My first car was a 1983 Y reg Black MG Metro Turbo. It cost £950 and the same to insure it.
I was 17 and thought it was awesome. Actually it was a proper pile of Sh!te
Super cool. A rare beast even then, I bet hardly any survived. The rough ones had their engines ripped out and transplanted into Minis.

White Opel Manta Berlinetta Coupe. TWY928R I bought it in the dark & when I looked at in the next morning both front wings were a different shade of white to the body! Luckily I drove into the back of a Honda Civic at Hangar Lane so 6 weeks later everything was the same colour!

Super cool. A rare beast even then, I bet hardly any survived. The rough ones had their engines ripped out and transplanted into Minis.

Super cool? Not sure about that Rob. They were a bit ‘girlie’ tbh. All my mates had 205’s, and mostly 1.9’s but the lil Metro was all I could afford. It was a proper rust bucket too. I patched it up best I could. It eventually got stollen whilst I was at College In Manchester. Never to be seen again. 1 of 4 vehicles of mine that was stolen In the 90’s. The only one I got back was the one I didn’t particularly want. (86 C Reg Astra van). The police found it on a local council estate minus the rear tailgate, battery & Tax disc. :rolleyes:

I actually saw a Metro Turbo last year, the first time in many a year. I was driving our Mini around town and the cheeky **** in the Metro nipped inside me on a roundabout. He was dead in the water though as soon as we got onto the next bit of dual carriageway, as he found out my turbocharged Mini has pretty much exactly double the horsepower of his one.. heh heh. Eat my dust, sucker. It did look in really good nick though, clearly been looked after.

Cheers,

Gaz

I actually saw a Metro Turbo last year, the first time in many a year. I was driving our Mini around town and the cheeky **** in the Metro nipped inside me on a roundabout. He was dead in the water though as soon as we got onto the next bit of dual carriageway, as my turbocharged Mini has pretty much exactly double the horsepower of his one.. heh heh. Eat my dust, sucker. It did look in really good nick though, clearly been looked after.

Cheers,

Gaz

Yeah, to be honest most 'Sporty' cars back then weren't really that fast, or powerful. The 0-60 times are laughable really, even compared to many diesels of today. Look at an 80's Sierra Cosworth. About 6 seconds to 60? Fast back then but plenty of rep cars around nowadays that can do that.

Super cool? Not sure about that Rob. They were a bit ‘girlie’ tbh. All my mates had 205’s, and mostly 1.9’s but the lil Metro was all I could afford. It was a proper rust bucket too. I patched it up best I could. It eventually got stollen whilst I was at College In Manchester. Never to be seen again. 1 of 4 vehicles of mine that was stolen In the 90’s. The only one I got back was the one I didn’t particularly want. (86 C Reg Astra van). The police found it on a local council estate minus the rear tailgate, battery & Tax disc. :rolleyes:
Blimey Ant, terrible luck but not all that uncommon back then, especially in a major city like Manchester. One of the perks of living where you are now is that you need worry much less about such things.

Blimey Ant, terrible luck but not all that uncommon back then, especially in a major city like Manchester. One of the perks of living where you are now is that you need worry much less about such things.

Yeah, the house and motor insurance here compared to MancLand is vast. When we moved here we had a Mondeo ST220. was paying around £800pa. after the move, we phoned to change address and we actually got a refund for the difference. Postcodes eh?

You’ve given me an idea for a new thread Ant

1970 Hillman Avenger GL
Lovely to drive and quite quick too
Until a farmer drove straight across the road and into me with his tractor

More than a few bumps since then in the last 45 years

Yeah, to be honest most 'Sporty' cars back then weren't really that fast, or powerful. The 0-60 times are laughable really, even compared to many diesels of today. Look at an 80's Sierra Cosworth. About 6 seconds to 60? Fast back then but plenty of rep cars around nowadays that can do that.

That's true but relative to the cooking tat around then, they most certainly were quick and those were good figures.

My 16V Astra was apparently good for 7.4 seconds which wasn't bad for the 80s/very early 90s as it was 156BHP and 1000kg.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom