What was your first ever car?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Mk1 Golf GTI. A392 FPK and I bought it when I passed my test in 1988 aged 21.

I got a bank loan over 3 years and every single payment was covered by weighing in all the scrap lead I got due to my job as a lead worker.

1962 Ford Consul Capri. Panama yellow, with ermine white roof. Reg PEN 639. Bought for £125 in 1969.
Bought another, a Goodwood green GT in 1990 which I owned for over 14 years.

D21WPM Fiat Uno Turbo I.E, good when it worked. Passed 17.1.1989 18.

This thread brings back great memories of my Dad and me working on my first car, a Saab 95!

(with my Dad telling me that my first motorcycle a Triumph Tiger Cub would be worth something, someday?)

Sold them both for a Honda 500/4 :doh:

First car i owned to be on the road was a burgundy Vauxhall Viva with a gold pinstripe and some previous nutter had stuck fur to the dash lol. I cant for the life of me recall what year it was but this would be back in 1985 and it was well used back then. I have been driving cars on private land since 1978, i say driving but was more like grass track racing in a old mini and an Opel Kadet at the sweet age of 10. good job we had a tractor for a recovery vehicle as there was a very tight turn with a beck (stream) to land in if you didn't make the turn which was quite often when wet. :):):)

Ford Anglia. Paid £15 for it in 1977. It never got on the road as it was totally rotted out underneath...so I bought a Fiat 850 instead for £50 :) Shockingly(!), that was rusty too, but was recoverable.

Mine was a "white" Opel Manta Coupe Berlinetta TWY 928R I say white as I bought it in the dark & when I woke up & saw it in the light the wings were a different shade............... Luckily I drove into the back of a Honda at Hangar Lane six weeks later so it was restored to just one shade of white!

Morris Marina 1.8TC

They were awful!! I had those as company cars, followed by Itals in the early 1980's

OK for a laugh I'll post my first car

View attachment 84874

This is a reliant supervan - I kid you Not !

There was some method in my Madness. I bought this in 1970 at the age of 16 and drove it on a motorcycle licence. The object was to learn to drive. I simply got in it and drove without having a single lesson unless you count steering around a field in my dads car sitting on his lap. At 17 I passed my test first time without ever having had a formal a lesson so it served it's purpose.

View attachment 84875

I passed my bike test on my 17th birthday & my car test on my 18th birthday. Swapped my last bike for a reliant supervan as the owner couldn't drive it on his bike licence as it had a reverse gear. Mine had rear side windows & a rear bench seat. Together with a hole in the roof where someone had removed an aerial.

Bikes followed by a 3 wheeler certainly taught me to look for road hazards.

Vauxhall Victor FB.

1500cc of throbbing power, tamed by unassisted drum brakes.

Triumph Herald 12/50, £25.00 with a rotten chassis and no MOT, made new chassis members up and welded them up, passed its MOT. Used to drive it until it run out petrol, run to the boot pulled the fuel reserve lever and then I had exactly 20 miles until it run out for real.

1979 Fiesta 950 pop, bright pea green. The only thing that could be seen in thick fog. Due to being 18 it was very quickly replaced with a 1983 Capri 2.8i, still my favorite car I've ever owned.

1968 Corsair 1700 V4. Had to rebuild the engine after the piston rings collapsed while revving it hard in 2nd, but other than that and the steering drag link bushes that seemed to need replacing every year, it was a great car. It even had the fuel filler hidden behind the rear number plate :)

As the title say what was your first ever car? :)

Mine was a Fiat Uno I bought about 16 years ago for £150, boy had some fun in that lol
I still remember using duct tape and some string on one side of the bumper just to hold it up :D.

My first car was a 1965 Ford Anglia 105E Deluxe in green with a white roof. Reg was COT 353C.

Bought it from a friend who used it daily and i kept it for around five years.

Was never the same after being side-swiped by a Ford Transit whose driver wasn’t insured...

Last edited:
Do you want my bank account number and password as well?

Do you want my bank account number and password as well?
If you're offering. And can I have your mobile number too so I can defeat any two-factor authentication that uses it?

:D

1972 Jaguar XJ6 4.2 Series 1 which was purchased for the princely sum of £550.

It was sable brown which was never the most attractive colour but was of its time and actually suited the car quite well. It looked very much like Sir William Lyons' own 1968 XJ6 shown below (minus the rectangular fog lights) which is the same colour although I suspect that his is in rather better condition than mine ever was:

sir-william-lyons-jpg.jpg

Last edited:
Mine was a 1959 'lightweight shell' mini. It was lightweight as BMC had only put very thin gauge sills on the car at that point, with the seams the wrong way round so that it let water in. Corrected in 1960, but the shell gained almost 10kgs.
My car grew over 18 months from 850cc to 1293cc, then reduced in width, length and height as I ditched it and a small tree came down on top of it.
Did at least sell the engine for more than I bought the car for....and started to learn a little about car control.

Vauxhall Victor FD 1971. Those were the days, now have to contend with a S63:D:D:D:D:D:D. Life only gets better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom