What were you doing? - September 11th 2001

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
No problem I do apologise:doh::doh:

I love this thread, I was on the phone to my friend just yesterday and asked the same question.

Anyway I was working at McDonald's at the time and saw everything unfold on the 12" tv in the staff room. Very sad day for me and everyone working that day.

Working in a office, no one could believe what was going on. Thing was I had flown back from Newark on 10/09/01.

I had just driven our buyer back to the office and he heard it on the car radio, my mind was elsewhere, when he mentioned it we just sat in the office carpark for some minutes listening to the tragedy unfold.
Strangely, I flew to America on 11/09/2003, exactly 2 years from the date - every time I open my passport and see the stamp I think of the waste of life.

I was camping in the Sahara desert with a mate, a couple of camels some Bedouin and 2 young English girls. We had no idea what was going on until a few days later when we returned to the local town and one of the girls ohoned her mother. The message we got back was that America had been attacked and World War III had been declared and everyone in London was fearing for their lives and under threat of imminent attack. We were in an Islamic country and at the time we recognised that this couldn't be the real situation, that surely this was exaggerated. Eberyone around us seemed fine and at that stage I guess the shock was so great back home and in the US that everyone where we were just seemed very calm. Only a few days after that did we manage to get our hands on a newspaper and saw what was going on. It was then that we had access to the internet and managed to email friends and family back home and wait while the Dialup chugged and chugged to give us limited access to half the BBC News screen that we realised tyruly what had happened. Very eerie...

Sat in my old office and turned on the internet to see a picture of the World Trade Centre with smoke issung from the top. At the time I thought, this could be a good film, wonder what it is? Clicked on to what I thought was the story and just sat there for what seemed several minutes in total disbelief

Sitting in my flat in Dundee with my girlfriend (now wife).... - i was doing my MSc at the time. we watched the nightmare unfold on Sky news. I remember we went out later that day and Michael Jackson's "heal the world" was playing on the radio in the car.

I had just woken up from working a night shift and flicked on the telly thinking there was an action film on. Was expecting Bruce Willis or Arnie to pop up any minute until i realised what i was watching.

On a plane to Budapest catching a connection to London and then circling London for 2-3 hours, scary for an 18 year old going to university.

I remember the newsreel at Budapest Ferengy Airport and thinking to myself why there are so many people watching Independence Day (i didn't it was the news as it was in Hungarian)

I was in Canary Wharf working at the time. Longest train ride home ever... Had many friends in NY at the time, took 4 days before I could contact the last of then. One worked in the tower, and had taken the day off....

On 7/7 I was in Liverpool St Station on the train in front of the one that had been hit. Friend of mine was in the train behind. She got out, but was in quite a bit of state for many years after, and still is. We both refuse to use the underground now.

I was in Tobermorey, Isle of Mull on a diving trip when back at the lodge saw the aircraft hit. Thought that it was a film.

Decided to go diving again that afternoon as I expected World War 3 to have started by the time I surfaced.

At work, doing data integrity checks on a feed coming into the new database we were developing from our US office...in the WTC.

Data stops (as it did from time to time), so I go into a flurry of checking. No, it's not our side. Check the link, it's down. Phone the office, phone line is down. Phone the duty mobile. No answer.

Walk out to IT room and into directors office where the TV is on...ah, so that'll be why then.

Thankfully when the first plane hit the senior manager took the executive decision that everyone was leaving NOW, and in doing so probably saved the lot of them.

Making reinforcement cages for foundations for a new house and heard it unfold on SteveWright in the afternoon.
Building site was less than 100yds from main gate of Wattisham air base - big commotion there and big delays getting to work over the subsequent weeks as (understandably) they had a big security lock-down, leading to tailbacks on adjacent lanes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom