What were you doing? - September 11th 2001

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Druk

Gone but not forgotten - RIP
Car
2011 S212 E350CDi. 1981 R107 300TurboDiesel.
http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/general-discussion/116617-killerhertz-your-boot.html

Post 7 ^ on this thread prompted me to think:

I was in the final stages of repainting my 230TE when Steve Wright broke in mid-track and something in his voice made me jump onto the borrowed Triumph SpeedTwin and shoot along to my workmates house just in time to watch the second plane going in. So...

Where were you and what were you doing when 9/11 kicked off?

Last edited by a moderator:
I was working on the OneSpa project in Edinburgh, my other main client at the time was BAA. Needless to say I spent the rest of the day trying to get /to/ London from Edinburgh, and then ended up working over in the US.

The whole site downed tools and found TVs and Radios - stunned disbelief and then frantic calling of families and friends.

We were on a motorcycle touring holiday in France. We were staying in Cannes at the time and came back to the hotel to see what I thought was a trailer for some Hollywood movie on the TV......

I had just come out from underground in a mine in Selby Yorkshire, was walking across to the baths to get showered and a guy going underground said have you heard what has happened in New York? At that time we all thought it was a tragic accident with a light aircraft crashing into the towers :doh:

I was at work polishing away and heard it on the radio. at the time I thought it was simply a light single prop plane for some reason.
It was only when I got home later and switched on the TV did I realise the true scale of what was going on.
I sat riveted to the TV and watched in horror at what was unfolding live before my eyes. I watched as the second plane hit and simply could not believe what I was watching.

A truly shocking and world changing day.

Hand-gliding over the Swiss alps was something I wasn't doing when the news filtered through.

No, nothing glamorous for me I'm afraid, I was but sat on the throne when the missus shouted up that an aeroplane had hit one of the twin towers.

I was sleeping at the time but remember waking up to the news and thought not again!

I was working in the city at the time, and on that day I had to leave the office after lunch to get home early - the only time I'd ever done it.

As the train departed Euston as we came out of the tunnel there was an announcement from the train manager, stating that we were the last train allowed to leave the station due to a security alert. A further announcement explained why.

Mrs D worked in a school at the time and as I got to the school all staff were stood in the staff room in silence with their mouths wide open. After an hour or so, we went home and did just the same.

By coincidence I was at home on 07/07, and that was the moment I decided to commuting to London was no longer for me. On both occasions colleagues had an absolute nightmare getting home - firstly trying to get out of the city on lock down, and then trying to travel almost 150 miles further - without public transport.

i was in selby at the time as well. heard it in car radio so went home and watched it all live on the news.
shocking

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/general-discussion/116617-killerhertz-your-boot.html

Post 7 ^ on this thread prompted me to think:

I was in the final stages of repainting my 230TE when Steve Wright broke in mid-track and something in his voice made me jump onto the borrowed Triumph SpeedTwin and shoot along to my workmates house just in time to watch the second plane going in. So...

Where were you and what were you doing when 9/11 kicked off?

Ive edited your thread title to make it clearer to everyone what the subject is about...

I was on the way a McDonalds with my brother and a mate when I heard them clearly say on the radio "two F-15s have been dispatched to shoot down a plane over the Pennsylvania area"

I was working at Mencap at the time in Golden Lane, London. First we heard something on the radio, then we tried the internet and CNN crashed. Then the FD told us all to go home. Rumours were going around that there was a security alert at Canary Wharf where my wife was shopping. I took the tube home pronto, and found her and her mate obliviously shopping at Asda. In spite of being chucked out of Canary Wharf, they were none the wiser. I insisted on us all going home (safer) and we sat and watched the awful business on the screen and saw the towers fall. The earlier IRA attack in Docklands was a small bomb but it ruined 2 office blocks (eventually demolished after some years). I was in no doubt the seriousness of what was going on. We were all in shock. The next day I bought all the newspapers and tucked them away in my desk drawer. I still have them.

As the train departed Euston as we came out of the tunnel there was an announcement from the train manager, stating that we were the last train allowed to leave the station due to a security alert. A further announcement explained why.

Saw it on the Arabic version of Al Jazeera while waiting in the visa queue at the Saudi embassy. We were asked to leave the premises. Grabbed a cab to Euston and headed back home.

Last edited:
I had a week off prior to a professional internview, and had, 2 days before the interview been into the office to make sure that there had been no sudden changes in the property world. Back in the car mouth open listening to the radio.

offshore Qatar

I was at work. TV was on in the canteen. Most people drifted in from their workstations and stayed there for a while.

I was working in a school, it was mid afternoon and the reprographics guy came out and said he heard on the radio about it, so I logged on to the BBC website, horrific day.

I was working in my office at home, at 2.30 I popped my head into the living room to tell my wife I was going to the post office...it was on the TV, she said "a couple of planes have flown into a couple of buildings in New York ". Completely missing the significance...she even saw the second one hit...but never thought to call me.

Never did get to the post office since I was glued to that TV for the next 6-7 hours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom