What were you doing? - September 11th 2001

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I was on a job interview, the manager had walked me in to introduce me to one of the guys who worked in a lab, he was stood in front of his PC open mouthed in silence, we looked at the screen as the second plane hit, the manager said what game is this? he simply replied TV card, the interview was a bit non-important after that but I got the job,

I had my own Consultancy Business and was inspecting a house in Harrow North West London for the effect of subsidence. The owner had the tv on and we watched the whole thing unfold - absolutely shocking. I was driving back to Sarf London that afternoon and was in a queue of traffic when the mobile went - my wife calling to ask If I knew what had happened - car in front stopped and I demolished her rear bumper!

Hands free from then on!

I was driving to a customer's house when I heard Steve Wright announced the first plane on the radio.

Arrived a little later at customer's house, rang the doorbell, no answer.

I was looking through the lounge window to see if it looked like anyone was in, noticed that the TV was switched on, and right then I saw the second plane hit, live on the TV.

Wife and I were enjoying a pleasant drive around the Blyde River Canyon in South Africa. The driver of our car - oddly enough - was named "Mercedes"!! The other group that left the Lodge we were staying at were with another car from the same company and were an Israeli TV team making a documentary... they radioed through to our car to tell us when the first plane hit.....

I was at Niagra falls and watched an entire country shut down.

Spent 6 nights at Pearson Airport trying to get home, mainly sleeping on the airport floor.

As you can imagine an airport full of stranded American's would normally have been mass hysteria.

I never heard a single complaint.

It was the first day of the second week in a new job and i was buying a coffee when the first newsflash came on. No-one could take in the enormity of what was happening, no work was done that day !

I was at work and work for a major airline manfacturer
Heard about it just before it came on radio through emails from collegues and our building was on major security alert.. Our Head offfice in seattle had military aircraft surrounding it.Even though we were in the uk our building signs had to be taken down.

It's strange because if you asked me what I did on Wednesday last week - sod knows.

However, I can as clear-as-day remember what I was doing on 09/11/2001.

At first, a colleague said a plane had hit the TT and I assumed it was pilot error and an accident.

Shortly after I was in contact by phone to a support person in America and I joked with her about the fact the pilot must have been dreadful to not miss those buildings.

As the afternoon unfolded, it became clear it was no accident.

When I arrived home after 6 o'clock, I was glued to the TV watching the footage and events unfold.

I was horrified and had to ring her back the next day to apologise. As it happens, she was quite understanding because as she said - she didn't realise the enormity of what was unfolding that day when we spoke.

:doh:

I've been fascinated by the events of that day ever since.

I was in Page Arizona, myself and three freinds had flown out to Vegas two days before on American Airlines from Gatwick. We had been subjected to the most intense security search I've ever gone through at an airport (or since - and I travel a lot).

Even at the departure gate we had to surrender our passports until we boarded, they were handed back to us as we walked onto the plane and each seat and ticket was checked. They knew somethign was up - just not exactly what. Every piece of luggage, hand and hold was swabbed for explosive traces, as were our hands.

Ironically I was reading an Andy McNab book on the flight which covered Osama Bin Laden, so when it all occured I actually knew who the guy was.

As we were on the West Coast, it had all happened by the time we got up at 8am. As I walked through the reception are there was a huge TV showing the events unfolding and I walked past assuming it was a trailer for a new Bruce Willis movie.

We had a flight booked through the Grand Canyon that day which was scuppered.

We spent as much of the next 10 days trying what we could to avoid radio and TV, it all got a bit too much.

San Francisco has never been so quiet, we didn't even queue for the Alcatraz ferry.

I still feel compelled to watch all the footage and documentaries about the events that day.

I was in the USA with the ex-Mrs Gollom driving from Homestead near Miami to Sarrasota. We had the radio on and were listening to it realtime from the very first "a light aircraft has flown into one of the WTC towers" through to the true horror of it all. :eek:

Curiously enough we were meant to be in NYC, but plans had changed - thank goodness. Having said that, when we got to Sarrasota a hurricane hit, and we needed to be evacuated from where we were staying! :doh:

I had just walked into the office after visiting a customer. I cannot remember why , but for some reason we had a T.V. on ( unusual for our company ) , and one of the staff shouted out for us all to look , just as the second plane flew into the Twin Towers . My boss walked into the next office and started playing a Sinatra c.d. with New York, New York. Seemed almost surreal at the time .

thinking "oh ah*t the bed that was close"

my daughter and her mother landed in hawaii that morning after a long haul flight from texas and the alleged hijackers were using long haul flights and for my daughter to be in the air only hours before this happened was a bit worrying

its all an inside job by the way and 3,000 innocent people were murdered by the amrican government for many different reasons

I was standing in total disbelief. Little did I know that exactly to the day a year later I would be shot through the face by a high jacker. Thankfully after 172 stitches to my face and a denture I was reunited with my family. Where as all those that had perished on that dark day.

May all the family and friends find closure with the new memorial.

So in a nut shell 9/11, I will always remember because of my own personal trauma.

I was at work and a friend called to tell me that a plane had hit the WTC. I just thought it was a small plane and didnt think much of it until I logged onto CNN/BBC. The news spread quickly around the office and everyone tried to log onto the internet.
We had lost connection to the US office when the first plane hit and alot of the traders in our office had ceased trading as there screens went and they just wheeled out the TV and we all watched it unfold.

I didnt catch the tube home that night but instead walked home for my own safety. I also told my partner at the time to leave canary wharf immediately as there were rumours of a plane heading there as well.

That night I watched the news till 1am over and over again not believing what had happened. I will never forget that day.

I have an ex flatmate who was works at Cantor Fitzgerald and was on the phone to the New York office when the first plane hit. He heard everything in background until the phone cut off.............

I was at work for a IT company and seen it live on the Internet ! Such a sad day , it was also the first time I ever heard of bin Lardin !
I pray for the families and the people affected.

thinking "oh ah*t the bed that was close"

my daughter and her mother landed in hawaii that morning after a long haul flight from texas and the alleged hijackers were using long haul flights and for my daughter to be in the air only hours before this happened was a bit worrying

its all an inside job by the way and 3,000 innocent people were murdered by the amrican government for many different reasons

Pardon?

its all an inside job by the way

And next you gonna say the same thing about Lockerbie and all terrorist attacks especially the attacks on London 7/7/05 .........sorry but I strongly disagree, sorry but that is the daftest thing I have heard in years. So what you are saying is that our armed forces are doing what they are doing for nothing.

And next you gonna say the same thing about Lockerbie and all terrorist attacks especially the attacks on London 7/7/05 .........sorry but I strongly disagree, sorry but that is the daftest thing I have heard in years. So what you are saying is that our armed forces are doing what they are doing for nothing.

Careful...try to spot irony when it's afoot. This thread is absolutely not the place for arguments or debate of any sort...please.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom