What Wheel Cleaning Brush Do You Use?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave Richardson

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
W176 A class 180 cdi
Having in the past to the cost of my pocket fallen foul of the detailing fads on Detailing World I have reverted back to Meguiars products which are sensibly priced, easily available from Halfords & tend to work pretty well. However I recently purchased a Meguiars Ultimate Wheel Cleaning Brush that was really good until I squeezed out the water at the end of the job when it fell to pieces and unravelled after just a single use. After contacting Meguiars they did a cracking customer service job & sent me a 'Versa' wheel brush & bottle of wheel cleaner (RESULT) I have now bought a Simoniz brush which has a sponge conical centre & what's best described as a microfibre condom for wheel cleaning. What Brush do you use?

s-l500.jpg

Having in the past to the cost of my pocket fallen foul of the detailing fads on Detailing World I have reverted back to Meguiars products which are sensibly priced, easily available from Halfords & tend to work pretty well. However I recently purchased a Meguiars Ultimate Wheel Cleaning Brush that was really good until I squeezed out the water at the end of the job when it fell to pieces and unravelled after just a single use. After contacting Meguiars they did a cracking customer service job & sent me a 'Versa' wheel brush & bottle of wheel cleaner (RESULT) I have now bought a Simoniz brush which has a sponge conical centre & what's best described as a microfibre condom for wheel cleaning. What Brush do you use?

View attachment 93183

Good work!

I think i bought this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07TYVWTH1/?tag=amazon0e9db-21

I have other nylon brushes for doing other peoples wheels like:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00COVNUPA/?tag=amazon0e9db-21

or

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00215HY2O/?tag=amazon0e9db-21

It really depends on the condition of the wheels which guides which brush i go for the missus are curbed so stiff nylons are preferred lacquered/painted i go for softer ones and a microfibre cloth.

I've had two or three from Halfords recently that have self destructed after a handful of uses but that Simonz one looks like a good bet :thumb:

I just use a soft sponge. :dk:

but I understand a brush is better at getting between multi-spoke alloys.

+1 for the wheel woolies. :)

I use 4 - had 3 of them since about 2013 regular use except 2 years when I was working in Qatar.
Green - inside of rim
Blue - between spokes & at caliper
Round one on right - bolt holes
Black, green and red - face of spokes, flattish areas and tyres.....

:oops:
IMG_0812 (1).jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Watching this with interest, as my Halfords branded microfibre brush has just been ruined trying to get the back of the alloy cleaned behind the caliper.
I have the pack of 5 small brushes similar to Rorywquin above but need something sturdy for between the spokes and the inside face. I can't be taking the wheel off everytime I need to clean the wheels. Poxy brake dust!:D

Watching this with interest, as my Halfords branded microfibre brush has just been ruined trying to get the back of the alloy cleaned behind the caliper.
I have the pack of 5 small brushes similar to Rorywquin above but need something sturdy for between the spokes and the inside face. I can't be taking the wheel off everytime I need to clean the wheels. Poxy brake dust!:D
I don't use the small ones (in the packet) on the wheels - the round white/blue/black one is what I use - IIRC it is purpose made for wheels - the others are quite flimsy.

Another vote for Wheel Woolies - work very well, and last well too.

EZ detail brush set for me, found the woollies ok, but they don't fit between the caliper and wheel, so moved over to the EZ and they fit into anything, also found that the EZ are easier to rinse out than the woollies too.

For the faces I use the Detail Factory Ultra soft detailing brush,These are the softest brush I have ever found and they are so safe on gloss black, and piano black trim too.

Wheel Woolies for me.

I find that most wheel brushes are made from stiff bristles and some strands of twisted metal , I wouldn't clean my chimney with most of them let alone my alloys. The best one I've found is the green one from halfords in Rorywquin's photo. Cleans the whole width of the alloy and no nasty metal bits to scratch the alloy. The only problem, not the brush's fault, is that I can't get it past the caliper on my C class.

Our wheels are designed to be hammered by bits of dirt hitting them at +- 250km/h. Why do I need lambs wool to wash them? I need something that will dig into all the cavities and get the cr@p out.

The paint on the car is probably in the same boat.

the safest way to clean the faces besides contactless is a ultrafnr detail brush.
lambs wool is soft yes, but they don't rinse out very well, and neither do they hold that much product. I bought a dooka wheel mitt on the base of a recommendation and its the biggest waste of money ever spent

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom