What wheels for my newly acquired W124 E500?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pupsi

Car
W124 E500
As the title, looking for some wheels for my new car.
Want something with a nice dish on the rear, in 16s or 17s preferably.
Anyone got any ideas?

Was thinking about the AMG/OZ 3-Piece 17s from a SL R129 but would they fit my car?

I had a set of BBS RS077s to go on but unfortunately they dont fit.
The fronts (which are 8J, 34 offset) do but need a 20mm spacer to clear the calipers and will still fit under the arches with this on.
But the rears (which are 10J, 11 offset) clear the rear calipers but dont fit, as the pictures illustrate below.

02.jpg

Image022.jpg

Image02111110.jpg

Image011116.jpg

Image017.jpg

I could leave them as that and only lower it a little, but would much rather they sit in the arches to avoid the whole buggy/go kart look. Plus they will be a little wider once the tyres are also on.

Last edited:
The W124 E500 has different offsets than any other W124.

The OZ split rims will fit, but you don't want the staggered set, the 8.5" x 17" will be perfect, I had 3 sets of those in earlier this year but they're all gone now. You're looking for an ET18 wheel here. As these....

PICT1703.jpg

Aero I's will also fit and look correct but get a set of genuine AMG not ///AMG - these will be ET11's that are W126 fitment. Not the ET28 (that fit every other W124).

These are the ones I have for my SEC:-

PICT1487.jpg

Alternatives are, and if you can find these you are lucky chap...these are Aftermarket Rial wheels simply known as the Rial "M" and out of production (I've asked Rial)- they are 18" but look simply stunning on the E500:-
Rial_18x8_.jpg

Rial_18x8.jpg

Alternatively, another period wheel (more often fitted in Germany than here) is the BBS RS split rim (RS200 is the Mercedes fitment) - I have a set of these on my SEC, they are very hard to come by and I'm umming and Ahhing what to do with them as I'll be fitting the Aero I's when my car is re shelled and bodykitted. I even had the centres turned out to fit genuine Mercedes centre caps instead of the BBS logos. These are ET13's and will fit the E500 ( actually I bought them from a guy that had them on his E500 - He took these off to fit period Brabus wheels).

These were in great original condition when I bought them, but I had them split, the centres powder coated black, the "nut" turned out to accept the MB centre cap, the rims polished then reassembled with stainless steel bolts - including purchase they then stand me at £1800 + tyres. I'm a bit fed up with trying to keep them clean though, which is why I bought the original Aero I then I was considering using the split rims as an occasional/show wheel.....not decided yet...

PICT0909.jpg

PICT0907.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry, i should add im after a staggered fitment!
I prefer the whole look.

I think you'll struggle with staggered, the 10" BBS RS you have highlight the problem.

The R129 OZ split rim offset rear is a 10J ET17 so will only sit 6mm further in than your BBS, and I'm afraid they just look odd on the W124, they suit the W126 though but I think that's down the flared arches on the E500 more than anything.

keeping it original how about a set of Evolution wheels like the run out E500 EVOLUTION model. Here's a pic of them in action on a silver w124

Last edited:
BBS List the following wheels sizes for the E500...these are 18" and offset, I dread to think how much these will cost if you could find a set!

(I have a reasonably complete list of BBS RS codes and fitment if anyone happens to need them for any reason - PM me your email and I'll send it over).

[FONT=&quot]RS704w 8 1/2 x 18 22.0 112.00 5 66.5 MB 124,E500,R129,600[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
RS705w 10 x 18 20.0 112.00 5 66.5 MB 124,E500,R129,600 HA

[/FONT]

Heres a set of the OZ/AMG wheels on the E500, and i think they look awesome.

scan.jpg

Scan taken from Mercedes Enthusiast magazine.
They seem to be right on the edge of the arch but fit none the less.

Hmm, borderline, they look like the protrude to me.

You could always replace the outer rim to give a 9" or 9.5" rear wheel which would be more in keeping, they look very slightly too much at 10" to me.

OZ outer rims available on eBay.de for sensible money.

The 3 piece 17" AMGs do look good, but the rear 10" wheel does protude slightly.

Personally i'd be looking at the 2 piece 18" SL R129 AMG wheel, 8.5J front and 10J rear ET25. Straight fit and a very clean looking wheel.

If you really want the 17" versions, follow Mudster's advice and have the rear dishes replaced by 1/2 inch smaller ones.

Another wheel which looks good on them is the Brabus Monoblock III 3 piece version.

I'll dig pics out at some point.

A little tip RE exhausts. If you're put the wheels on you might as well go for the exhaust. Finding a 500E sports box will be hard work. A W210 E CLass box is almosta direct fit, just a little DIY mod to the bracket and it fits fine.

What does everyone think of the Maybach wheels?
Happened to see some on an Audi TT and thought they looked the business.
I dont usually like wheels without a dish but these just caught my eye.

P1010033.jpg

Won't suit the W124. Ideally you need a dtaggered set with a dish to emphasize the arches.

I know what you mean now, having spent a while visualising it, i think its meant for more rounded cars

Food for thought ;) ...... Blending old with new.

IMG_8274.jpg

I'm usually no kind of fan of aftermarket wheels, particularly on iconic cars like W124s...

But I like that!

As you say, old with new. They look like they were meant to be there. Which is more than I can say for the Evo wheels which look awful IMHO

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

Last edited:
I'm usually no kind of fan of aftermarket wheels, particularly on iconic cars like W124s...

But I like that!

As you say, old with new. They look better like they were meant to be there. Which is more than I can say for the Evo wheels which look awful IMHO

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

They're genuine AMG wheels from the new W209 CLK.

They are reps.

Rear wheels are the same as the fronts without that characteristic dish effect of the wider rear Styling 3.

I am surprised how good they look on the W124.

IMG_8325.jpg

IMG_8192.jpg

Thanks for that, i meant the wheel design was a genuine one.

The 8.5J would fit the rears fine though. I'm surprised as well, i wouldn't have thougth they would either, but that does look very nice.

Not a bad car either :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom