What won’t you drink?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Prosecco. Can't stand the thin nasty stuff and have no idea why anyone drinks it. It's no substitute for an eight quid bottle of method champenoise.

And I avoid beers after flying or heavy exercise in warm places.

I had three or four gout flares, and the doctor was all for prescribing daily gout meds. I pushed back, saying "Hold on, there's a theme here." It was all simply a result of drinking beer when dehydrated. Problem solved. It fascinates me that I know so many people who do take the gout med purely to enable them to drink beer and red wine in large quantities.

I've suffered from severe gout for 40 years and there are loads of foods that kick it off. The medication has no side effects for most people.

Mattns advises when overseas 'don't drink the water'...good call . But drinking some bottled beers overseas can also be a bit dodgy . At the risk of being sued by United breweries my story is of buying bottled beer in Goa many years ago (the one named after a little bird that catches small fish..) . I was told they put Glycol in the beer to help preserve it under the harsh conditions in which it is stored and transported .

As someone who worked in the liquid food industry I was well aware of uses of Glycol in the brewing of beers etc but had never heard of it being put in the beer.

Anyway, the drill was this , when you got your bottle of beer have handy a large glass of water , pop your thumb over the opened beer bottle , invert it and put it below the water level in the glass of water. Remove thumb and watch a stream of 'oily stuff' be drawn out of the bottle and into the water !

This happened without fail on every bottle I had and if you drank 3 or 4 the glass of water would become opaque on oily to the touch !

I have not repeated this exercise with any other lager and still drink the beer named after the little bird that fishes to this day.

What won't I drink ? ...Ouzo , Raki , Feni. Baaad experience on all of them and I hate the taste, any other booze ?....bring it on !

Formaldehyde is used in some beers (I worked in Kazakstan and we used to get Turkish beer Efes which had it in). I also worked for SAB MIller (2nd biggest brewers in the world) and I've never heard of glycol going into beer. It is used in the chilling equipment.

Urine, mine or anyone else's but then I've not been in a position where I might have to ... :oops: 🤓

Champagne, Prosecco and all other bubbly wines make me really sick 🤢 and any red with tannin 🤯

I've suffered from severe gout for 40 years and there are loads of foods that kick it off. The medication has no side effects for most people.

Understood. I'm just saying that I'd realised that I was getting it as a result of drinking beer while being dehydrated, so a simpler solution was just to drink more water first and go easy on the beers when getting straight off a long-haul, or after cycling in the sun.

I have a lot of friends in their 50's & 60's who are on several daily meds which have no side effects for most people. (Blood pressure, cholesterol, acid reflux, gout, pain relief, sleeping tablets, and anti-depressants)

71gMPyh6hwL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
Whisky, brandy, Special Brew,Cider, Guinness, any dark beer, turkish/greek/arabic coffee
Had more than one or two bad nights with those alcoholic drinks and won't touch them again.
It's no fun waking up in the morning with an ar$e like a broken garden tap and a raging hangover.

Beer, Guiness and champagne , but drink Bacardi like it's going out of fashion. I've never been a home drinker , usually down the local a few nights most weeks but since the start of lockdown and no pubs open I've only had about three drinks.:(:(:(
I might go teetotal --- will I hell.

Reactions: 219
Cider. I love Cider but it hates me. :(

Guaranteed heartburn every time I try so I've stopped trying now. Most other things seem fine though was violently ill with a white rum once so never had it since.

Incidentally, there seem to be a lot of negative comments regarding aniseed based drinks on here. After a few years of living in France, I will confess to developing a taste for Ricard, basically a slightly stronger Pernod and made by the same company. Only ever drank with iced water though, no mixers like lemonade or blackcurrant. They also do a version known as 51 but, for some reason, this always seemed too powerful.

Guaranteed heartburn every time I try so I've stopped trying now. Most other things seem fine though was violently ill with a white rum once so never had it since.

Incidentally, there seem to be a lot of negative comments regarding aniseed based drinks on here. After a few years of living in France, I will confess to developing a taste for Ricard, basically a slightly stronger Pernod and made by the same company. Only ever drank with iced water though, no mixers like lemonade or blackcurrant. They also do a version known as 51 but, for some reason, this always seemed too powerful.

Pastis, as you say with water and ice, nice aperitif.

I really really dislike very oaky Chardonnay. And I'm not a fan of a lot of modern reds - I just find them too strong/sweet/overpowering. In the last 10-15 years there seems to have been a sort of arms race with wines to crank everything up to 12.

Beer, Guiness and champagne , but drink Bacardi like it's going out of fashion. I've never been a home drinker , usually down the local a few nights most weeks but since the start of lockdown and no pubs open I've only had about three drinks.:(:(:(
I might go teetotal --- will I hell.
3 drinks since lock down ? ....that IS virtually tea total ! Proves you don't need it but enjoy it. Well done , if the news is to be believed the rest of us are drinking like sailors on shore leave !

Cider heart burn... Have you tried a thick slice of lemon floating in each pint ? A mate of mine (easy 10 -15 pints per session) swears by it . If the pub does not have fresh lemon to put in his cider he will find one that does , otherwise the heart burn from just a few pints 'kills him' (his words). Never tried it myself as I don;t get heart burn from cider.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom