What won’t you drink?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaz_l

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Mini Cooper S, BMW M140i
Much along the line of the “What won’t you eat” thread, is there anything you can’t stand to drink? I’m thinking primarily along the lines of alcohol, but anything goes.

Personally, I’m not really a spirits drinker, but scotch is the thing I really don’t like, for some reason. I realise it’s a massive industry and a lot of care goes into single malts, but I’ve never come across one I like even in the slightest.

That and Southern Comfort. I’m sure many of us got ratted on something early in our drinking careers and can’t touch it now, well this one’s mine. I can’t even stand the smell of it, 30 something years later..

Cheers,

Gaz

I'll drink pretty much any alcohol but dark spirits and red wine gives me really bad heartburn nowadays, so I tend to try and stay away from those. White spirits are fine though as are most ales, lagers, stouts, porters........ :cool:

The missus loves whisky and her first husband was apparently a whisky connoisseur.

I can't stand the stuff, probably due to lads' pub crawls which involved several pints of bitter and then a visit to Yates Wine Lodge for the shorts. I find even the smell off-putting.

Can't think of any liquid I don't like.

I wish there was a pill to swallow rather than masticate food. :D

Don’t really like any beer, lager or ale. I’m not much of an alcohol imbiber at all, tbh. OK, I’ll occasionally open a bottle of red, but if alcoholic drinks were banned altogether, it wouldn’t change my life at all!

Not a fan of coffee either........

All spirits, Guiness original,dilute orange. Any over 5% lagers. Liquidised liver.

Water! as a global traveller, china, south America etc. my DR seems consistent in his advise "don't drink the water" therefore I always drink the local beer and am willing to venture into the spirit world ganbai!!!! ;)

Not much I will not drink but anything with Galliano in it is a no no,that stuff upsets me badly.not a great fan of all this real ale,tried it and it is foul.

Mattns advises when overseas 'don't drink the water'...good call . But drinking some bottled beers overseas can also be a bit dodgy . At the risk of being sued by United breweries my story is of buying bottled beer in Goa many years ago (the one named after a little bird that catches small fish..) . I was told they put Glycol in the beer to help preserve it under the harsh conditions in which it is stored and transported .

As someone who worked in the liquid food industry I was well aware of uses of Glycol in the brewing of beers etc but had never heard of it being put in the beer.

Anyway, the drill was this , when you got your bottle of beer have handy a large glass of water , pop your thumb over the opened beer bottle , invert it and put it below the water level in the glass of water. Remove thumb and watch a stream of 'oily stuff' be drawn out of the bottle and into the water !

This happened without fail on every bottle I had and if you drank 3 or 4 the glass of water would become opaque on oily to the touch !

I have not repeated this exercise with any other lager and still drink the beer named after the little bird that fishes to this day.

What won't I drink ? ...Ouzo , Raki , Feni. Baaad experience on all of them and I hate the taste, any other booze ?....bring it on !

Prosecco. Can't stand the thin nasty stuff and have no idea why anyone drinks it. It's no substitute for an eight quid bottle of method champenoise.

And I avoid beers after flying or heavy exercise in warm places.

I had three or four gout flares, and the doctor was all for prescribing daily gout meds. I pushed back, saying "Hold on, there's a theme here." It was all simply a result of drinking beer when dehydrated. Problem solved. It fascinates me that I know so many people who do take the gout med purely to enable them to drink beer and red wine in large quantities.

Not a single alcoholic thing :oops:

Whisky. Bourbon. Chardonnay. I think it is to do with being aged in wood.

Umqombothi - African beer made from maize and smells like vomit (to me).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom