What won’t you drink?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
They also do a version known as 51 but, for some reason, this always seemed too powerful.
I was once told that the "51" was the recommended mix ratio: 5 parts water to 1 part Pastis (not a bad idea, in my experience).

Actually, it commemorates the date (1951) when France lifted the ban on anise-based aperitifs!

Much along the line of the “What won’t you eat” thread, is there anything you can’t stand to drink? I’m thinking primarily along the lines of alcohol, but anything goes.

Personally, I’m not really a spirits drinker, but scotch is the thing I really don’t like, for some reason. I realise it’s a massive industry and a lot of care goes into single malts, but I’ve never come across one I like even in the slightest.

That and Southern Comfort. I’m sure many of us got ratted on something early in our drinking careers and can’t touch it now, well this one’s mine. I can’t even stand the smell of it, 30 something years later..

Cheers,

Gaz
For me , that was Vodka , got hold of a bottle in my teenage years , went to a party at someone’s house , imbibed far too much , and was very pleased with myself that I made it outside and threw up in the garden rather than in the living room !

What I won’t drink is wine, beer and vodka during the same evening. I can manage any 2 from 3, but not the full combo. The last time I did that was 13 years ago after an evening out with a mate when my wife was at her folk‘s house. I lost several hours of my life, followed by a 24 hour hangover. The worst part was a day later when my wife answered the door to a young lady who was checking how I was. Apparently she helped me to get home and into bed!!!

Beer, Guiness and champagne , but drink Bacardi like it's going out of fashion. I've never been a home drinker , usually down the local a few nights most weeks but since the start of lockdown and no pubs open I've only had about three drinks.:(:(:(
I might go teetotal --- will I hell.

And here's the glass he's been using

glass.jpg

Cider heart burn... Have you tried a thick slice of lemon floating in each pint ? A mate of mine (easy 10 -15 pints per session) swears by it . If the pub does not have fresh lemon to put in his cider he will find one that does , otherwise the heart burn from just a few pints 'kills him' (his words). Never tried it myself as I don;t get heart burn from cider.

We are awaiting the post about your pub friends.......

Cider heart burn... Have you tried a thick slice of lemon floating in each pint ? A mate of mine (easy 10 -15 pints per session) swears by it . If the pub does not have fresh lemon to put in his cider he will find one that does , otherwise the heart burn from just a few pints 'kills him' (his words). Never tried it myself as I don;t get heart burn from cider.

I was told about this (or possibly something similar) by a local barman and cider connoisseur when I was wandering around in Somerset on some Mercedes meet a while ago. I'll ask my mate who was with me if he can remember if it was a slice of lemon but not sure if he'll remember either as it was a while back...

I was told about this (or possibly something similar) by a local barman and cider connoisseur when I was wandering around in Somerset on some Mercedes meet a while ago. I'll ask my mate who was with me if he can remember if it was a slice of lemon but not sure if he'll remember either as it was a while back...
Only one way to find out "....when life gives you Lemons...slice the buggers up and put them in Cider !.." ;)

What I won’t drink is wine, beer and vodka during the same evening. I can manage any 2 from 3, but not the full combo. The last time I did that was 13 years ago after an evening out with a mate when my wife was at her folk‘s house. I lost several hours of my life, followed by a 24 hour hangover. The worst part was a day later when my wife answered the door to a young lady who was checking how I was. Apparently she helped me to get home and into bed!!!
That reminds me of the time , must have been around 1985 , my dad had passed away in November 83 , and after one of my sisters got married and left , my mum decided to sell the big house and move to a smaller one .

In the process of packing for the house move , the cocktail cabinet was being cleared out ; there were many bottles , containing varying amounts of different beverages , quite a few with just a small amount left ; I well remember my younger sister 'sampling' all these different bottles , finishing off what was left then binning the empties ; it all started off quite merrily , then she became noticeably drunker and drunker ..... inevitably she ended up in the bathroom regurgitating all that she had drank , and a sore head the next day !

We shouldn't have , but the rest of us laughed like drains :) :) :)

And 35 or so years on , it is still cast up to her !

Beer, Guiness and champagne , but drink Bacardi like it's going out of fashion. I've never been a home drinker , usually down the local a few nights most weeks but since the start of lockdown and no pubs open I've only had about three drinks.:(:(:(
I might go teetotal --- will I hell.

Just for you ! :) :) :)

From the album 'Discovered Again' on Sheffield Lab , which I purchased back in 1976 ...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
Not good memories of vodka, so I avoid it :(

Reactions: 219

Crumbs, I get through 3 or 4 bottles a year ... only the plain (over ice with coffee beans - has to be an odd number, for luck) and the liquorice ...... I admit to trying the others and not being impressed.

The thing I wouldn’t touch again is a nameless firewater I encountered once in France...at least I’d avoid it if I knew what it was! Some years back with a group of friends on a charity event, we were spending the evening at the refectory table at the vineyard we were working with. Well into the evening, having tried all sorts of things off the bar, the vineyard owner shambled over with his large hand clutched around an unlabelled bottle containing a clear liquid. “What’s that?”, we asked. “C’est contrabande!”, he replied. I didn’t have much, but I’ve never had a hangover like it - took me 24 hours to even start to feel human again.

New world chardonnay. The stuff that is way to oakey and the snowflake generation eulogies about.

Cippero. Greek firewater. It makes ouzo seem like R Whites.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom