What would you buy ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NOMONEYBUTAMERC

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
BMW X1 . Porsche 968 Boxster
Here we are in the midst of recession , when your car is suddenly written off .Unexpectedly , the insurance company pays out 30% more than you would expect to get for it on the open market . What car would you buy as a replacement , and why ?

W123 300D - I'd have lots of cash left over, it'd go on forever and in a crash it would win (strange way of looking at things, but hey, that just means it's well engineered)

I'd go for a manual for the slightly better acceleration

CLS320 cdi. :) Why? Just love it - the shape, the interior and the way it drives. Just ticks all my boxes I guess. :)

I love my CLK 2.7 CDI W209, so maybe a later version with the 3.0 Ltr engine, or a CLS with the same diesel engine, but not sure as it has 4 doors, and would miss the 2 door coupe appeal of the CLK.
My ultimate would be a Aston Martin though.

Reggie

Audi A6, even Valet parking attendants at the airport rave about them. :)

Replace it with the same car and then by an LI 150.

Or put it towards one.....

Here we are in the midst of recession , when your car is suddenly written off .Unexpectedly , the insurance company pays out 30% more than you would expect to get for it on the open market . What car would you buy as a replacement , and why ?

I would replace it with one that cost 30% more that what the written off one was worth on the open market,why?because it wouldn't cost me anything:D;)

Audi A6, even Valet parking attendants at the airport rave about them. :)
Friend of mine has just bought one, a 3.0tdi quattro "Le Mans". Looks great inside and out. I'll let you know his views on it after a few weeks with it.

I'd sell up and bugger off to somewhere warm before they realise their mistake :thumb:

30% isn't really that much? To find another car the same even. You knew your car and what ever you buy next will probably need a few bits.

I would just buy what I have already and bank the rest for a bigger swap layer down the line.

If I got 30% more for a total loss in the event of the shed being killed.

I'd honestly buy the same again or a CLS and put the money aside for something else.

Like pies.

Depends on your criteria. Assuming it was the 450SL written off, and you want a replacement which is:
a classic car
classy
convertible
practical enough to use rather than just polish and put back in the garage
will hold its value (as much as any classic car in a recession)
reliable

I would go for a 124 series E 320 cabriolet.

W124 coupe. Lovely looks, a proper Mercedes and less of a money pit than the other MBs on my list ;)

Another E-Class wagon. Maybe with a diseasel engine next time. I can shove two mountain bikes and a collie in the back. Not in Circon Green next time though. It's one swine of a colour to keep clean. Then a 4x4 Fiat Panda with what's left over. One of the few cars I've owned I'd buy another of for winter.

I an not sure I would... my wife and I could probably get around using just the one car plus public transport and taxis. The Merc is there because I like it and through Inertia...

Maybe with a diseasel engine next time.
LOL! They're not that bad!! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom