What would you choose?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Technoholic

Car
CLS 350 SB, TVR Tuscan
While I'm waiting for my car sales to go through and looking for a CLS 63 SB in the meantime, I'm just exploring my options as to whether there is anything better out there. I'm 99.9% sure I want the CLS but I just wanted other people's opinion in case there is anything I've overlooked.

The obviously alternative is the E Class of the same age. I won't get an S for my budget, not sure how much difference it makes. I don't like the look of the E Class as much as the CLS but it's obviously got its benefits.

I'd be buying the car cash but if I decided to spend the cash on something boring and sensible, like paying some money off my mortgage, is there anything more modern that would compete with these cars that I could buy on a PCP for example? I'm not against PCPs as I know some people are, and I know there can be some great dealer offers for newer cars. So I just thought I'd ask the question about what would be a modern alternative to the CLS SB?

The lure of the big V8 is hard to pass up so chances are, that's what I'll do, but if anyone has any suggestions, please let me know!

Nothing. Newer engines go down in volume and number of cylinders. Screw financial deals, small prints, conditions and the general aura associated with buying a car on finance. Pay cash for the older, bigger engined car and enjoy it. Let the house be on the drip - it appreciates quicker than the mortgage insterest anyway.

Nothing. Newer engines go down in volume and number of cylinders. Screw financial deals, small prints, conditions and the general aura associated with buying a car on finance. Pay cash for the older, bigger engined car and enjoy it. Let the house be on the drip - it appreciates quicker than the mortgage insterest anyway.
All good points, and I think I just needed someone to say it out loud!

The number of miles I do daily is minimal, so big engined gas guzzling is not so much of a problem for me, and the trips I make occasionally to family in Germany will certainly be fun in a big German V8!

The flip side of low miles is the VED works out at a scary cost per mile.....

Really agree with this statement!

My other options when I was looking for an E63s were
1. BMW M6 GC. A stunning car and drive, head Turner in the right colours and a sleeper in others.
2. S8: Rapid limo, but too big and floaty feelin
3. Panamera: Stunning tour de force. In turbo guise it was an unbelievable car for the cash. Looks are Marmite but with the right wheel / colour stunning.
4. Maserati Quattroporte: wallet said no
5. RS6: Too common around Glasgow and wrong image. Rapid but brittle.
6. X5 M X6M: awesome cars. But we have an X5 40d already.
7. M5: Like the Rs6, common but rapid. Couldn't see a spec I wanted and the spec list is massive.

I went a different way as I needed to commute at the time between Glasgow and Edinburgh however this is no longer the case. Therefore if I was to do it again......

M6GC would be my choice, though the newer E63s are coming into budget. Though I'm currently hankering after an M5 V10 touring.

My other options when I was looking for an E63s were
1. BMW M6 GC. A stunning car and drive, head Turner in the right colours and a sleeper in others.
2. S8: Rapid limo, but too big and floaty feelin
3. Panamera: Stunning tour de force. In turbo guise it was an unbelievable car for the cash. Looks are Marmite but with the right wheel / colour stunning.
4. Maserati Quattroporte: wallet said no
5. RS6: Too common around Glasgow and wrong image. Rapid but brittle.
6. X5 M X6M: awesome cars. But we have an X5 40d already.
7. M5: Like the Rs6, common but rapid. Couldn't see a spec I wanted and the spec list is massive.

I went a different way as I needed to commute at the time between Glasgow and Edinburgh however this is no longer the case. Therefore if I was to do it again......

M6GC would be my choice, though the newer E63s are coming into budget. Though I'm currently hankering after an M5 V10 touring.

I had no idea some of these cars were in budget these days!

I used to have a 6GC and it was a great car, so although an M6 does appeal, I'd probably opt for something different and a bit more practical.
S8 is too similar to my 740 that I used to have in terms of type of car, and I'm not a big Audi fan anyway
Quattroporte has always been on my list but for the same reasons as you I've always ruled it out
RS6 - great cars, but not for me
Had an X40d until last year, wouldn't get another one I don't think
M5 also too common, but annoying they don't do a M5 Touring currently, the M5 V10 is a time bomb from what I've read

Panamera Turbo though, now that is worth looking at.

Problem is none of them sound like an AMG!

E60 M5 V10 Touring is a really niche car and if you can pick up a good example is likely not to lose a significant amount.

Saying that my friend is picking up and E63S this week 67 plate for sub 50K. These cars are bonkers quick and the mix between luxury/comfort and speed is fantastic.

Your spending alot of money here, i would definitely test drive all in your short list.

Looking at the prices of these they actually look higher than when I was looking about a year ago. I have a feeling those that can have been buying more interesting cars during covid as they don't need economical distance weasels.

Any way off the blast the cobwebs off the AMG and dream of a V8 in the future. 😜

E60 M5 V10 Touring is a really niche car and if you can pick up a good example is likely not to lose a significant amount.

Saying that my friend is picking up and E63S this week 67 plate for sub 50K. These cars are bonkers quick and the mix between luxury/comfort and speed is fantastic.

Your spending alot of money here, i would definitely test drive all in your short list.

Yes I will try to. Finding them is the hard part.

My budget won’t stretch even if I was looking for an E but this has to be a bargain surely?

While I'm waiting for my car sales to go through and looking for a CLS 63 SB in the meantime, I'm just exploring my options as to whether there is anything better out there. I'm 99.9% sure I want the CLS but I just wanted other people's opinion in case there is anything I've overlooked.

The obviously alternative is the E Class of the same age. I won't get an S for my budget, not sure how much difference it makes. I don't like the look of the E Class as much as the CLS but it's obviously got its benefits.

I'd be buying the car cash but if I decided to spend the cash on something boring and sensible, like paying some money off my mortgage, is there anything more modern that would compete with these cars that I could buy on a PCP for example? I'm not against PCPs as I know some people are, and I know there can be some great dealer offers for newer cars. So I just thought I'd ask the question about what would be a modern alternative to the CLS SB?

The lure of the big V8 is hard to pass up so chances are, that's what I'll do, but if anyone has any suggestions, please let me know!
It’s a niche car so options are limited. I would suggest these are the closest equivalents but the price increase is big!

If equivalent means Mercedes then:
AMG GT 63 - not an estate but a big car, and closest in concept. Big step up in price.

If equivalent means shooting brake then:
Panamera Turbo SportTurismo - not an AMG but beautifully engineered. Big step up in price.

I would suggest that in truth the Panamera SportTurismo is the closest of all in concept and is a stunning car.

It’s a niche car so options are limited. I would suggest these are the closest equivalents but the price increase is big!

If equivalent means Mercedes then:
AMG GT 63 - not an estate but a big car, and closest in concept. Big step up in price.

If equivalent means shooting brake then:
Panamera Turbo SportTurismo - not an AMG but beautifully engineered. Big step up in price.

I would suggest that in truth the Panamera SportTurismo is the closest of all in concept and is a stunning car.

Both lovely cars, the SportTurismo is on my future list one day. But like you say, huge price increases, not the sort of money I want to spend.

Everything is pointing back to the CLS SB or possibly a E

Looks like I may have a deal on the TVR so the hunt is now on for something to replace it and the CLS 350.

Just hope I can find a 63 within budget!

If it's the CLS63 you want, get it. I've bought cars in the past when it wasn't ultimately what I really wanted, and regretted it over the original preference.
  • If you bought the E, would you lust after the CLS?
  • If you bought the CLS, would you lust after the E?
Life's too short.

If it's the CLS63 you want, get it. I've bought cars in the past when it wasn't ultimately what I really wanted, and regretted it over the original preference.
  • If you bought the E, would you lust after the CLS?
  • If you bought the CLS, would you lust after the E?
Life's too short.
Very wise words 👍🏻

I don't think I've ever lusted after the E (Estate that is), I appreciate its extra practicality but the CLS appeals much more from a visual perspective. This is all good because it's confirming what I was originally thinking. It's just finding one, unlike an E which are common

Does it have to be an estate?

I love the CLS SB AMG but between £30-40k there’s a plethora of alluring cars outside of the usual Teutonic diet...

Aston Martin Rapide

Maserati QP GTS

Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio

Bentley Continental

Jaguar XFR-S

...to name but a few...

Does it have to be an estate?

I love the CLS SB AMG but between £30-40k there’s a plethora of alluring cars outside of the usual Teutonic diet...

Aston Martin Rapide

Maserati QP GTS

Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio

Bentley Continental

Jaguar XFR-S

...to name but a few...

It doesn't HAVE to be an estate. But I have a child of 2 with all his associated bits. I need a car that can comfortably fit a large car seat in, and be able to easily load pram etc, as well as fit enough stuff for our continental drives to family in Germany (when allowed again).

I'm not saying there are no non estates that would work, but I think there would be too many compromises. Things like the Rapide or the QP are both amazing cars that I would love to own, but I personally don't think they would work. If anyone can convince me otherwise I'm happy to hear it!

The CLS already has some small compromises over a normal estate with the boot lip etc, which doesn't help with pram loading etc, but it's manageable.

What do you think, am I talking rubbish?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom