What would you do with one day of sunshine and an MB

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

st4

Banned
Car
C220cdi tourer
Drive it :doh:

I started off by heading from Helensburgh over to Inverarry via the rest and bethankful pass and then onto Campbeltown down the Mull of Kintyre costal trail. After which I headed over to Carradale on the other side of the penisuala on a lovely coastal road (Isle of Arran can be seen on this side)

From the otherside (visible from the A83) Isles of Gigha, Jura and Islay can be seen - see linky

Anyway, this is what I saw.

DSC02323.jpg

DSC02326.jpg

DSC02327.jpg

DSC02330.jpg

DSC02352.jpg

DSC02355.jpg

Stunning scenery and excellent photos Steve! :D

Was up the rest and be thankful today myself on the way to Lochgoilhead. Cant beat it!!!

Was up the rest and be thankful today myself on the way to Lochgoilhead. Cant beat it!!!

Nice run down to Lochgoilhead :thumb:

Lovely weather, wish I had a convertible to top it off. Heavy traffic all the way to Lochgilphead this morning and the Loch Fynne Oyster bar car park was mobbed but the further you headed the better it gets :D

Had a very nice holiday at Lochgoilhead, many years ago :thumb:

Had a very nice holiday at Lochgoilhead, many years ago :thumb:

Its nice, but when you look west there always seems to be a dark cloud above it. One of the wettest places in the wettest part of Scotland :( Some nice roads about there, + Inverrary not so far away and its got some nice sights etc.

I do remember it raining on quite a few days. But it didn't detract from the beautiful scenery and the gentle quietness..

Ive got a static van up there so am there most weekends. When its sunny its the nicest place ever... when it rains, you only get wet once on the loch!!!

What a stunning place to live.
Makes my locality look quite mundane and boring.
Excellent photos................

Some familiar territory from my childhood there.

On a good day it is simply stunning, on an average day it is beautiful, but when it rains......

S

Some familiar territory from my childhood there.

On a good day it is simply stunning, on an average day it is beautiful, but when it rains......

S

I couldn't give up living up here. Its just such a wonderful part of the world-hopefully the CO2 brigade are right so rain will be less of an issue in years to come. In fact I keep toying with the idea of looking for Jobs further north and west so the best scenery is on my doorstep, and on my commute rather than face heading into Glasgow everyday :crazy:

Stunning pictures. I have travelled down those roads many times, usually in the rain. It looks absolutely magical when the sun shines!

Stunning pictures. I have travelled down those roads many times, usually in the rain. It looks absolutely magical when the sun shines!

It was the 1st Long run I did in the car when I bought it last March. nice to take it back 18k miles later. The A83 is a treat past Tarbert (Loch Fyne) as traffic is really light and visibility is very good. The rest and be thankful is a natural entertainer too, but not when there are lots of dawdling tourists and coaches coming the other way :crazy:

Great Pics, makes me homesick......

Anyway i'd rather have south london:doh:

Makes my trip to Bournemouth look tame, A53,M6,M42, M40..... yawn, although the weather was fabulous as was the company and a near 600 mile round trip, top down every mile in the banana,a joy!
I can also thoroughly recommend The Wessex Hotel, the only one with availability late on Friday, a proper old hotel with large rooms and a very passable breakfast and only a five minute walk to the front.

Makes my trip to Bournemouth look tame, A53,M6,M42, M40..... yawn, although the weather was fabulous as was the company and a near 600 mile round trip, top down every mile in the banana,a joy!
I can also thoroughly recommend The Wessex Hotel, the only one with availability late on Friday, a proper old hotel with large rooms and a very passable breakfast and only a five minute walk to the front.

Never been to Bournemouth. Know what you mean re the tediousness of motorways-a good game to play on the M40 is how fast can I go before noone overtakes me. Its a fast road. M6 is quite scenic north of Lancaster when you drive up Shcap and see the hills, but its not a patch on the west coast of Scotland.

In two weeks I will have more pics to put out, although I won't be driving. My pal is visiting and shall be experiencing the wonders of Glen Coe, the run to Mallaig, the rest and bethankful for the 1st time. I'll put pics up as its a cracking run.

The M40 seems to be the best kept secret for getting to the south, so little traffic and high average speed compared with the nose to tail M6-M1-M25 solution. At a steady 85 I was indeed a comparative snail!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom