What would you do

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crazyjim

Car
C220 amg sport
Came back 2 my car in parking lot 2 find I couldn’t even open my drivers door . Not even an inch of space because somebody squeezed there car into parking bay I was bang on between the white lines . And could only enter the car by climbing in the passenger door and over passenger seat and into drivers . I was fuming but drove away in disbelief. Any thoughts in what I should have done

So, was the other car in your white lines or was it only in its own white lines? If only in its own white lines I'm not sure what the problem is? Are you upset that someone parked next to you or upset that the car park you used had too small spaces??

Yes other car parked across white lines and seriously an inch away from drivers door . I would say that’s a problem when you can’t open your drivers door?

Let’s put it in another perspective. If I was elderly ( pregnant) otherwise unfit 2 climb over the passenger side and into drivers . Tharp is a drivers door for a reason . So what would you have done

1. Called owner/operator of said car park.

2. If no action offering a solution with option 1, squeeze along side of car, of course don't allow your buckle, belt, bag etc. to scratch other car. ;)

3. Go in through passenger door after applying options 1 & 2.

I would have done exactly what you did, but also cursed the other driver (perhaps not just to myself). Any alternatives just wouldn’t be worth the hassle. If I wasn’t physically capable of climbing over from the passenger side I would have had no option other than to wait for the other driver to return, then have a rant at them while they ignored me and drove off. It’s one of those PITAs that happen from time to time, like the guy who parked right in front of me in a car park then wandered off to do his shopping. He failed to understand why I was upset when he returned an hour later.

Yes other car parked across white lines and seriously an inch away from drivers door . I would say that’s a problem when you can’t open your drivers door?
In that case you was very restrained in your actions.

I'd have done what you did.

Yep, then defumed ASAP!
I had similar recently - though not quite so close. Managed to wriggle in - just. I swear I haven't wriggled through a gap so tight since the day I was born.

I used to work with someone who was on of those type of drivers who parked anywhere.

She would often quote that if a space could fit her car, she would park there regardless of room left!

I tend to skip spaces that are too small as if it is that tight as life is too short.

If I was presented with a situation as per the original post, I'd do the same.

If the owner of the vehicle in the way turned up - I would ask them about what their logic was...

But life is too short to make a meal of it and I try to be more understanding that not everyone has the same state of mind as you at the same time as you.

Curse and get over it. I work on the basis that what goes around comes around, so the offender will get his/her turn - might take a while, but they will.

I'll wait up to a certain point, after that my mind starts getting inventive (let the handbrake off from the passenger seat and roll out) but in 20 years I've only taken direct action twice.

1) Called the centre owners who put out an announcement. Nobody came forward after half an hour so their security guys forced entry into the other vehicle (similar kit to the breakdown people rescuing your keys) and rolled it out of the way. Cheers lads, here's some beer money.

2) The SL was stuck in a corner spot, tail in, not accessible from either side. I figured out if I got the windows to drop remotely using the key, I could climb onto the bonnet of the other car, reach in to drop the roof and climb in. Can't say I was particularly careful about their paintwork, mind.

You did the absolutely right thing. Assuming you are the decent honest sort you appear to be then anything like retribution would have given you sleepless nights and guilt. I just hope I would do the same.

Karma takes care of people like this, take a deep breath and trust in her :)

Get yourself down to Asda and buy a disabled badge.
They must be on BOGOF at the moment because everybody and their grandmother appears to have one at the moment.

Next time you go to the supermarket, park your car further away where you are all alone and squatter two park places, that's what I do.
Social misfits doesn't respect other peoples property. :cool::cool:

All good to say we must park further away, do nothing etc - but I struggle with the thought of inconsiderate scum always getting away with their behaviour.

So I did the right thing just 2 ignore it but still gets 2 you at times though . I have a blue badge that is for the use ov my 15 year old son who requires a wheelchair and when he is not in the car I never abuse the blue badge as iam able bodied . But what gets 2 me is when my son is in the car and I park in a disabled bay . I get the looks and stares and ocational verbal until they see the wheelchair come out the boot.

So I did the right thing just 2 ignore it but still gets 2 you at times though . I have a blue badge that is for the use ov my 15 year old son who requires a wheelchair and when he is not in the car I never abuse the blue badge as iam able bodied . But what gets 2 me is when my son is in the car and I park in a disabled bay .I get the looks and stares and ocational verbal until they see the wheelchair come out the boot.

Think of that as them looking out for you and your boy - they don't want spaces reserved for those who need them (your lad) being taken by those who have no right to be there. I can see why the suspicion could annoy though.
On the event of the opening post - I wouldn't have thought much of you if you'd needlessly damaged the other car (no matter how tempting - though Doodle's climb over the car was within bounds). You're the better man for solving the problem and not creating another.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom