What would you offer your tenant? Boiler issues

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

malluboy77

SUPPORTER
Car
S204 250CGI Sport
Hi all

Just looking for some forum thoughts please.

Boiler has been down since 29th Aug as it was declared unsafe on the annual landlords check. The boiler has been fully serviced and insured. Any work done previously was authorised by the insurance company and carried out by 'gas safe' registered personnel. Now all the work needing done has been approved the insurance company but there is a delay in getting spares and anticipated date of repair is 19th Sep. The tenant is understandably upset. They have two little children.

I was thinking 'no rent for the period the boiler being down' as fair compensation. Offer of alternative heating has not been taken up so far.

Would you offer anything more? Is that a fair offer?

Any other thoughts? A compliant would be registered with gas safe for unsafe repair work done previously as soon as the current issues are resolved.

Thanks for sharing your views.

I personally think that a rent holiday for the period that the boiler is unserviceable is more than generous but probably appropriate in this day and age.

Seems fair as our heating has just kicked in now were at the end of summer.

Have you looked into the possibility that the boiler could be swapped for a new one for free?
Main criteria are the Tennant needs to be claiming a benefit and the boiler needs to be inefficient.

Also if your stuck for the part I may be able to get it quicker

Personally I think it's a fair offer especially as you've offered alternative heating. However the fact that spares can't be had for 3 weeks suggest that it's an older boiler or an obscure one and I'd be inclined to have had it replaced with a new one straight away

Seems fair as our heating has just kicked in now were at the end of summer.

Have you looked into the possibility that the boiler could be swapped for a new one for free?
Main criteria are the Tennant needs to be claiming a benefit and the boiler needs to be inefficient.

Also if your stuck for the part I may be able to get it quicker
Thanks. Swapping the boiler is not something which I knew at all.

The boiler is relatively new - Glowworm combi. Installed in 2008. Not sure it would fit the inefficient criteria.

I do not know the exact parts required as all taking so far has been between the estate agent and the repairer. I shall drop you a PM once I find out more if that is ok.

Many thanks StevenN.

Personally I think it's a fair offer especially as you've offered alternative heating. However the fact that spares can't be had for 3 weeks suggest that it's an older boiler or an obscure one and I'd be inclined to have had it replaced with a new one straight away
I am yet to find out the exact details. I am going to contact the company myself tomorrow to confirm that there is actually a 3 week delay in obtaining the parts. It is unfortunately a newish boiler, only installed in 2008.

Thanks

What does your tenancy agreement say should happen?

Nick Froome

Yep your right it is probably too new to be changed under the scheme. Might still be worth checking though.
If you let me know about the parts I will ask our suppliers.
Again if I know the model I can check its efficiency

If you are comfortable that you have done your utmost to expedite the matter Nothing,if they had been the home owner what more could they have done themselves.

If you start with this and that rewards they will be after freebies all the time.
This standpoint only works if you are prepared to accept they may leave.

I am a landlord.

Seems fair, if they are covering any alternative heating? I just put my heating back on for the first time yesterday...how would you feel if your kids had no heating on a cold night...

I used to be a tenant ;)

I think your being very fair at no rent for the period.

Also think repairs are too long at three weeks.

Personally I think you are being too generous. You've offered alternative heating If in the circumstances you really feel you have to offer something, then perhaps a reduction of 25% for the period would suffice. Even that I feel would be very generous, but then I'm a Scot:D

Yep your right it is probably too new to be changed under the scheme. Might still be worth checking though.
If you let me know about the parts I will ask our suppliers.
Again if I know the model I can check its efficiency
Thanks for the offer. Shall find out more and let you know.

I just put my heating back on for the first time yesterday...how would you feel if your kids had no heating on a cold night...

Cold...

In reality it isn't that cold and what did people do before houses had central heating as the norm...put a jumper on.

Why is your heating on? :confused:

I don't usually put my heating on before October.

Make it clear what happens with repairs that cannot be rectified within a day or two. The tenant needs to understand and appreciate you are doing everything to get it fixed.

In council houses they don't get rent free periods during lengthy repairs

Give too much back will make a rod for your back

Good luck!

If it's a combi boiler, presumably lack of hot water will be the major issue.
I wouldn't offer rent free period.
Alternative heat/hot water solutions are reasonable, perhaps with a contribution towards running costs while waiting for repairs.

Make it clear what happens with repairs that cannot be rectified within a day or two. The tenant needs to understand and appreciate you are doing everything to get it fixed.

In council houses they don't get rent free periods during lengthy repairs

Give too much back will make a rod for your back

Good luck!

You get (or got, at least) alternative accom for any extended works

No way it takes three weeks to get the part required, 1 week maxs. I think your offer is more than generous. Out of curiosity what was dangerous with the boiler?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom