What would you pick.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gareth Kent

I am pondering purchasing a mid 90's SL500 to tinker with at weekends with a view to restoring properly with my son when he's old enough to help (he's only 4 now) but I have space to store and work on a car so thinking now is a good time to get an R129 before they start disappearing and appreciate. So whilst a bit of a pipe dream as for now, I was wondering what would you pick as a recommissioning or tinkering project with a 7k budget with a view to being a future classic. My choice is driven by my first drive in an SL500 in 1996 and still remembering that V8 growl.

Personally good cond early one. I know they have the lethargic 4speed box but pre 1992 no cats so a bit up on bhp. No ads or active suspension. Pre 92 should be avoiding the wiring loom issues. Check rust in arches inc inner arches and jacking points and that roof works... Just my opinion but I am biased having bought a 1990 one and brought it back to what I think is vgc. Everything works and I mean everything. Just some leather treatment required on drivers seat. Brand new merc front wing I got for 250 quid from the stealer. Fetttled and half repainted professionally. Lovely thing.

biglee said:
personally good cond early one. I know they have the lethargic 4speed box but pre 1992 no cats so a bit up on bhp. No ads or active suspension. Pre 92 should be avoiding the wiring loom issues. Check rust in arches inc inner arches and jacking points and that roof works... Just my opinion but i am biased having bought a 1990 one and brought it back to what i think is vgc. Everything works and i mean everything. Just some leather treatment required on drivers seat. Brand new merc front wing i got for 250 quid from the stealer. Fetttled and half repainted professionally. Lovely thing.
^^ +1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom