What year did the facelift model come out on the SLK 230?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wilesy

All,

What year did the facelift model come out on the SLK 230? :confused:

I asked Jeeves but he had no idea!

Any ideas? or where I could find out the answer? :confused:

Thanks in advance

Wilesy

2001 IIRC.

Look for different grill, flashing mirrors, body coloured side skirts, and body coloured bumper 'lips'

pics so u can tell...

facelift: (body coloued lower bumpers & indicaters in mirrors)

slk-r170-01-med.jpg

vs

pre-facelift:

slk-1.jpg

Seems like my 2000 W-reg is a facelift model then. Unless they've taken an older car and put newer body work on it!. Let's hope that's not the case!

This is a better picture of a faeclift one, the one posted above isnt :) it just has a custom bodykit on.

03.mercedes.slk.fe.f34.500.jpg

Thanks mine looks very similar to the above, just not as new and without the decent alloys (I think I may have the 16" standard ones)

Thanks again

Wilesy

Nice one K - I was just looking for better pic's too as you're right - the "facelift" one SS put up isn't. The one K has put is the Final Edition one that came out in 2004 iirc, poss late 2003.

Put some pic's of yours up Wilesy for us to have a squint at ;)

There are one or two things on the inside as well.

Mine is pre-facelift but has coloured lower bumpers and side skirts as it is fitted with the AMG bodykit. But I believe older interior trim is fake carbon fibre whereas the facelift models have an aluminium finish to the dash. But that isn't much use if there is wood trim fitted.

Wilesy said:
Seems like my 2000 W-reg is a facelift model then. Unless they've taken an older car and put newer body work on it!. Let's hope that's not the case!
MY01 models were delivered in late 2000 though, so it's probably a facelift.

Think I've worked out how to add an attachment!

I've attached the picture file through additional options!

Attachments

• slk.jpe
    slk.jpe
    26 KB · Views: 47
Wilesy said:
Upgraded bodykit or actually a face lift model?!
Painted handles too, it's very likely to be a facelift. You can tell 100% if you can get the VIN.
De-Chromed
What chrome did they remove? :confused:

That is definitely a facelift one and it doesn't have a bodykit.

The facelift SLK was available for the 2000 W reg. Although as people on here know it IS possible to facelift a car - people quite often colour key the lower section of the doors, bumpers & door handles. Some even do the indicator mirrors but not many people would got to the effort of the replacement wings which don't have the holes for the indicators!

Nice car, enjoy!

By the way they have some nice looking cars down at Alexander David...

A-AvantGarde said:
That is definitely a facelift one and it doesn't have a bodykit.
Although as people on here know it IS possible to facelift a car - people quite often colour key the lower section of the doors, bumpers & door handles. Some even do the indicator mirrors but not many people would got to the effort of the replacement wings which don't have the holes for the indicators!

enter Shude :D

A-AvantGarde said:
Some even do the indicator mirrors but not many people would got to the effort of the replacement wings which don't have the holes for the indicators!
fuzzer said:
enter Shude :D
I had the holes welded up and painted over on my previous W202, was about £120 or something and the job was excellent, will be doing the same again soon :)

:) Knew that there would be someone on here! Have a 'nana :bannana:

A-AvantGarde said:
Some even do the indicator mirrors but not many people would got to the effort of the replacement wings which don't have the holes for the indicators!

Fuzzer said:
enter Shude

Shude said:
I had the holes welded up and painted over on my previous W202, was about £120 or something and the job was excellent, will be doing the same again soon :)

:) Knew that there would be someone on here! Have a 'nana :bannana:

Wilesy said:
Cheers everyone. I feel a lot happier now I know I've bought a legitimate facelift model!
Unlike other models the R170 actually had very little updated in the facelift anyway. It kept the old-style flip-key right up until the end of production (just like the W163 ML, but unlike the W202/208/210 etc), there were no instrument cluster or CANBUS type updates like the W208 and W210 had and the only interior update worth mentioning is the standard seats, which I believe were a lot better on the facelift.

You can look at this in one of two ways; either the car was pretty much perfect from the start of production or MB were lazy when the updates were due. IMHO it's probably the former :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom