What's a sensible price to scrap a car these days?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Londonscottish

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E500 & Fiat 500
Hi all,

The OH's Clio has finally croaked after an astonishing 16 years in her possession. It needs £400+ of parts (throttle body, lambda sensor, coil pack, throttle cable) and £200+ of labour. On top that the a/c compressor gave up last year and there are various other minor issues. And, next year, it'll be death by ULEZ.

I contacted Scrapmycar and they've offered £120. Removemycar are offering £130.

Is that about the going rate?

£120 for a car on 4 wheels. -£50 if it's a shell.

We scrapped the boys Clio a few years ago , took it to various breakers and all we were offered was £50.

As it was time critical to get rid we just went with that plus it saved any faffing or waiting about.

K

Personally I'd sort it, just for the satisfaction, go used for the parts.

Personally I'd sort it, just for the satisfaction, go used for the parts.

I did think about it but I'm still £350-£400 down on parts. And then I'd no doubt have to buy some tools (Renault use odd Torx). And maybe ramps/axle stands. And if I couldn't start it I'd have to get the garage involved yada yada yada.

It's given us 16 years of very cheap service which has enabled me to run a succession of Mercs.

I think my wife has earnt a nice new(er) car.

I've currently got my eye on a nice blue 500 with a pale interior and a sunroof*

* a Fiat, not a Mecedes

To be fair £120/130 sounds fair for an old Clio. They’re not that heavy, and I was under the impression that scrap had dropped a little due to a fall in demand of recent.

If you’re not going to fix it, it’s probably the least hassle option to move it on. Selling a cars like this attracts all sorts unfortunately and I suspect the hassle wouldn’t be worth it :)

Price seems pretty good. In February it was £80 for a ton and a half of ropey Kia diesel.

That is not a bad price. But depending on condition and what Clio it is you might want to spend a moment checking out Renault Forums, particularly those that concentrate on older Clios. You might find a willing buyer on there.

Reactions: 219
To be fair £120/130 sounds fair for an old Clio. They’re not that heavy, and I was under the impression that scrap had dropped a little due to a fall in demand of recent.

If you’re not going to fix it, it’s probably the least hassle option to move it on. Selling a cars like this attracts all sorts unfortunately and I suspect the hassle wouldn’t be worth it :)

God I read all the horror stories about FB Marketplace/eBay/Gumtree on Pistonheads.

"Wotz ur best price innit m8".

Err....no thanks

That is not a bad price. But depending on condition and what Clio it is you might want to spend a moment checking out Renault Forums, particularly those that concentrate on older Clios. You might find a willing buyer on there.

I might just do that.

Trouble is it needs the throttle body stuff, the a/c's shot (compresser), the alarm gets dicky in the rain sometimes and the fuel gauge doesn't work (you can still see the range on the OBC though).

The other issue is that it's neither the more desirable 2 door 182 or the learner-friendly 1.2. It's the falls-between-two-stools 1.6 16V warm hatch. 4 door. LOL.

Looks good, though.

Clio.jpg

Better If it were 2 door but there has to be £500 in the bonnet/tailgate and doors, Dash , wing mirrors,wheels and seats worth another couple hundred to someone...? Just the task of finding that someone...

Better If it were 2 door but there has to be £500 in the bonnet/tailgate and doors, Dash , wing mirrors,wheels and seats worth another couple hundred to someone...? Just the task of finding that someone...

Yes, exactly.

My instinct is always to save things/recycle them. Hate them going to waste when there's loads of life left in them and they are of use/value to someone else.

Anyway, I've asked the question over on the Renault forums

Reactions: 219
That's what I thought. Hope it's not conditional - don't think it is.

I don't think so, they simply put it on the weighscales and priced per ton. It was merely that scrap prices took a nose dive shortly beforehand, as the previous month it would have been closer to your figure.

What a pity Mercedes did not ask the French how to rust proof cars. You rarely see a early 2000's Renault/ Peugeot/ Citroen product that is rusty (C-15 excepted).

What a pity Mercedes did not ask the French how to rust proof cars. You rarely see a early 2000's Renault/ Peugeot/ Citroen product that is rusty (C-15 excepted).

That's because they're made of cheese, and that doesn't rust. 🤣

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom