What's a sensible price to scrap a car these days?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Our locally scrap yard are paying £60 a tonne, they do not penalise you if you leave the wheels/tyres on like some places do, we need to get rid of my Fathers old Honda Legend as we replaced it a while back and the old one is really in the way now.

Hi all,

The OH's Clio has finally croaked after an astonishing 16 years in her possession. It needs £400+ of parts (throttle body, lambda sensor, coil pack, throttle cable) and £200+ of labour. On top that the a/c compressor gave up last year and there are various other minor issues. And, next year, it'll be death by ULEZ.

I contacted Scrapmycar and they've offered £120. Removemycar are offering £130.

Is that about the going rate?
It goes up and down with the price of scrap metal , not long ago you were only getting £30 if anything at all , and some places even charged you !

Or, given the amount is so little, donate it to your local fire station. They'll take it away and put it to good use, usually involving heavy duty cutting equipment:)
Our lot get the cars from local breakers because they have to be de polluted first .

Hi all,

The OH's Clio has finally croaked after an astonishing 16 years in her possession. It needs £400+ of parts (throttle body, lambda sensor, coil pack, throttle cable) and £200+ of labour. On top that the a/c compressor gave up last year and there are various other minor issues. And, next year, it'll be death by ULEZ.

I contacted Scrapmycar and they've offered £120. Removemycar are offering £130.

Is that about the going rate?
Another option is to stick it on eBay or Gumtree at say £150 for spares or repairs , with the scrappy price as your bottom line if anyone tries to haggle .

What a pity Mercedes did not ask the French how to rust proof cars. You rarely see a early 2000's Renault/ Peugeot/ Citroen product that is rusty (C-15 excepted).

It's shocking looking back. I bought my 1st C43 just before the Clio and the second one three years later.

Both Mercs subsequently had plenty of rust - the 1st one after I had it, the 2nd when I owned it. I had that one fricken welded at 10 years old IIRC.

Nuts.

£120 sounds great. Our son restyled his Corolla and he scrapped it for £30 at the local yard. Take the money and run.

Reactions: 219
If all the electrics work you should donate it to a museum!;)
Tony.

Nearly all the electrics work. At least when it's not raining.

When it's wet the alarm has a habit of going off when you're driving along. The indy couldn't find out why so he just disconnected the siren. The trouble is the hazards still go off and the only way to stop them is to park up and turn it off and on again.

A few years ago i scrapped a Toyota truck started with scrap yards ended up a better price from a car breakers who recycled the engine box and running gear?

Tony.

Try copart online, they seem to offer more than most breakers. Not sure how nationwide they are, but worth a google.

A quick update here, I contacted " cartakeback.com" and straight away online they came up with a great price to collect my Fathers old car, a 2002 Honda Legend, it was actually copart that then contacted me to arrange the collection, they are picking it up on Monday. They are worldwide and have depots in lots of main towns around the UK , the depot nearest us is Newbury.
It was all a quick and efficient service. They will put the money straight into my Dad's account after collection.
As I mentioned earlier in this thread our local scrapyard quoted me £60 per tonne if we got the car to them, the online quote I got was £214 including collection. Basically Copart put it in their online auction and it goes to the highest bidder who I guess then breaks it for spares instead of just crushing it like a scrapyard would do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom