what's an MGB worth

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mattc

MB Enthusiast
Car
Audi A4, 1994 E320 Coupe, 1995 E300 estate
Have just had a garbled request for info. regarding an old car that someone has inherited. Details as follows:

1967 red MGB
Bodywork in good order
chrome looks a bit ropey
nice black leather with red trim
wire wheels
hard top hangs from roof in garage.

the person inheriting it wants to know what its worth but does not know when it last started and does not want to start it for fear of causing more problems.

apparantly the former keeper spent £6-7K having bodywork and interior done (I dont know how long ago)

new owner has been offered £1500 which I suspect is well below its value.

opinions please.

These cars do not have a chassis as such. The sills form the chassis and are in 3 layers. Inner, centre and outer. If they are corroded the car has a tendency to sag a little and the doors become awkward to close. As for value, everything being right, they can go for £4k upwards (dependant on condition and history)

As a restoration project, it will be worth anything between £500 to £1,500, and if a fully-restored example it could fetch £4k-£5k - I think.

But with classic cars it all depends on condition. So best bet is to find similar cars in similar conditions online and compare prices.

A similar question came up recently in the motoring press but I have forgotten where precisely. Not much help I know but the answer was around £1000 max for one needing work. Less if really tatty. The MG owners club may be able to help. Fully restored/immaculate examples can be worth much more but very rarely over 10k. If it needs work £1500 sounds pretty fair.

Have spoken with owner.

The restoration work of £7K was back in the very early 90's so sounds like full on job (hope sills are ok).

it was outside for a few years after that but has been garaged for at least 8 years and not moved (do not know whether it was turned over in that time - suspicion is not).

I have offered to look at it on the weekend so I will have a good poke with a screwdriver! Will also take pics.

Any more pointers of what to look for?

Have spoken with owner.

The restoration work of £7K was back in the very early 90's so sounds like full on job (hope sills are ok).

it was outside for a few years after that but has been garaged for at least 8 years and not moved (do not know whether it was turned over in that time - suspicion is not).

I have offered to look at it on the weekend so I will have a good poke with a screwdriver! Will also take pics.

Any more pointers of what to look for?

Rust, rust and rust. An MGB that has stood outside for years may well be beyond economic repair. They can be re-shelled but the cost is high:

British Motor Heritage Limited

And since it hasn't been on the road for years it will be difficult to assess the car's mechanical condition. To be honest, I'd be tempted to spend the money on a scruffy but solid runner with an MOT - at least you know what you're buying.

Last edited:
Chrome bumper is good.
Spare hardtop is good.

It must be a roadster so check that the doors havent started to split on the outside skin near the rear of the quarterlight.

Rear springs are leaf and can sag/break

As others have said obviously rust is your enemy and can be hidden anywhere.

I think that it is ripe for an enthusiast rebuild so £1500-£2000 seems about right.

Just check that there is nothing special about it - special engine/power bulge (pretty sure there were no MGC roadsters) etc.

IIRC roadster hardtops were very sought after - especially the ones with two perspex 'sunroofs'

Roadsters are certainly more sought after & demand a lot more money - contacting the MG club is a good idea once you know the true condition.

Not as much as you would think and more than I would give you.

If you put a 1 1/4 (IIRC) socket on the pulley you may be able to get the crank to free up. Which would be a start.

Good fun motoring though.

Used to own a 66 MGB, it must have wire wheels and overdrive. Points to look for, rusting petrol tank with usuall petrol smells, the top goes where all the crud gets thrown up. As been mentioned, the cills are a very important part, if the outer cills are a bit ropey, depending on what level of anti corosion the previous restorer did, the centre cills may be ok. Shockers worn and rear leaf sping mountings can be prone to rust. Good thing is there are still plenty of spares around through the MG Owners club, they also give agreed valuation insurance or used to, subject to pictures of the car. They are certainly worth much less now than they were in the late 80's and early 90's

Thanks for all the info guys. I should get to view it this weekend and will take pictures for everyones appraisal

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom