Whats being discounted at the moment?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HotJambalaya

Car
C63
Performing my usual dithering, I know I have to bin the C63 while it's still worth something, so mincing around seeing what's out there. Used cars I can ask a buddy who's a car dealer to pick something up for me, but then had a look at new stuff out of curiosity. I'm literally all over the place since I have to replace the family Audi A3 as well as the toy... Having only ever bought a new car once (a honda) I'm hazy on the black arts of new discounts!

Irritatingly the A45 AMG still isn't showing a chance of a discount, and used ones seem to be trading at new prices.

I've seen E classes at 20% off on drivethedeal.com but can't see much elsewhere (just starting the search to be fair).

Any chance of a discount on a GLA?

Irritatingly the A45 AMG still isn't showing a chance of a discount, and used ones seem to be trading at new prices.

I've seen E classes at 20% off on drivethedeal.com but can't see much elsewhere (just starting the search to be fair).

Any chance of a discount on a GLA?

I assume from above, that you just looked at the special offers on drivethedeal. If so, this is just for specific in stock cars. Get a quote if you want a new order, you still get a discount, even if it's a factory order. The A45 AMG are showing ~8.5% off! and GLA45 AMG just a nominal £1350 off.

cheers, Steve

Went into Dealer last saturday. New C Class (saloon and estate) about £2k off list. Not much off any A Class. mega deals on2.2cdi E Class. Sorely tempted as can put a new one on road, fully loaded, for around £350 per month on a three year 10k per year mileage deal.

I assume from above, that you just looked at the special offers on drivethedeal. If so, this is just for specific in stock cars. Get a quote if you want a new order, you still get a discount, even if it's a factory order. The A45 AMG are showing ~8.5% off! and GLA45 AMG just a nominal £1350 off.

cheers, Steve

Yep drive the deal! -another company I think Orange deal or something was about £350 off. Pathetic really. The real problem I have is that the A45 is about £5k too much anyway, so a discount really just brings it down to where it should have been in the first place. My only other comparables like the M135 or Golf R had such insane finance deals on them the residuals are going to crash through the floor like a missile.

I'll try the full quote, I'm just a bit wary of being called every 10 minutes by brokers...

EDIT: under my pseudonym of michael mouse, I got a quote on drive the deal for the A45, and yup, £3297 off. Pretty damn impressive!

Last edited:
I'll try the full quote, I'm just a bit wary of being called every 10 minutes by brokers...

EDIT: under my pseudonym of michael mouse, I got a quote on drive the deal for the A45, and yup, £3297 off. Pretty damn impressive!

Just an FYI Mickey, there no need as they don't contact you unless you place an order. ;) ;)

Big discounts on the CLS coupe, I guess they cant sell them.

CLS 250 CDI £10k dealer contribution and £6k customer deposit gets you a £47.5k car for only £499pm over 36 months.

gl boy said:
My dealer is saying around 20% of sl and 0% finance

Mind sharing the dealer?

My only other comparables like the M135 or Golf R had such insane finance deals on them the residuals are going to crash through the floor like a missile.

Why do you think that?

They were contract hire deals by BMW and VW, they stay in control of the residuals, there is no sale price or buy back price, just a load of two year old cars that they have seen £6-8000 on over the last 20k miles.
If anything they can help keep residuals high.

£5,000 nearly off a new C Class from most brokers.

The best Merc deal was the CLS 250cdi Shooting Brake AMG last quarter at £259+ vat with 9 months down. Crazy cheap.
But all gone from contracthireandleasing.com so must have run out of the pre facelifts now.

If you want an SL hire it, with 20% off and £8000 deposit it is still £750 a month, if you hire it you are looking at £4500 down and £500 a month including vat.
Some people pay that for a C220!!

Mercedes-Benz Sl Class Convertible contract hire | £425.99 per month | Freedom Vehicle Contracts Limited | ID: 31980554

Big discounts on the CLS coupe, I guess they cant sell them.

CLS 250 CDI £10k dealer contribution and £6k customer deposit gets you a £47.5k car for only £499pm over 36 months.

Running out the pre facelift stock ahead of September, I believe, pretty common practice these days.

ATB

Why do you think that?

They were contract hire deals by BMW and VW, they stay in control of the residuals, there is no sale price or buy back price, just a load of two year old cars that they have seen £6-8000 on over the last 20k miles.
If anything they can help keep residuals high.

I have a friend who's a used car dealer, that buys his cars ex-lease from both dealers and auctions. Says when there's a load of them they just can't hang on to so many, that a lot get shifted via (specifically Mercedes he was talking about here but I figure its the same) auctions into the trade. I can't see VW or BMW hanging onto the volume of these cars to flog them via their own networks. The rate they've been leasing them out, they'll end up with 10 of them at each dealership!

I'm more curious about discounts on straight cash purchases, though I was wondering if you take finance out for the dealer contribution you could just pay the whole lot off after the first month?

I'm more curious about discounts on straight cash purchases, though I was wondering if you take finance out for the dealer contribution you could just pay the whole lot off after the first month?

Technically you pay it off it fully in the 14 day cooling off period, and then there are no charges. They don't look to kindly to it, as they are offering the extra contribution as they are naturally earning interest on the finance hence the extra incentive.

So yes it's possible, moral judgement I'll leave to you.

Technically you pay it off it fully in the 14 day cooling off period, and then there are no charges. They don't look to kindly to it, as they are offering the extra contribution as they are naturally earning interest on the finance hence the extra incentive.

My father who is well into his 80s went to look at a Fiesta Ecoboost Powershift. The salesman was positively encouraging him to get it on finance to get the extra payment and then pay it off within a few days. Slightly worried they are offering finance to 80+ year olds.

I have a friend who's a used car dealer, that buys his cars ex-lease from both dealers and auctions. Says when there's a load of them they just can't hang on to so many, that a lot get shifted via (specifically Mercedes he was talking about here but I figure its the same) auctions into the trade. I can't see VW or BMW hanging onto the volume of these cars to flog them via their own networks. The rate they've been leasing them out, they'll end up with 10 of them at each dealership!

Not sure about the Golf, but think the M135i will do OK.
They are shifting them a year old for only a grand or two less than you can buy it discounted new. Plus they will come back onto the market staggered, the M135i deals were over a good 6 months, so they will come back over 18 odd months as some will come in after a 24 month deal and some 36 month.

It is cheaper to buy a new M135i than an 18 month old one if financing, better rates on new.
But if paying cash not much in it, but a 64 plate car is going to be worth far more than a 12 plate car in 3 years time, that's for sure, so probably worth paying £2k more for a new one regardless.
A lot of car for under £30k.

stevehg said:
Technically you pay it off it fully in the 14 day cooling off period, and then there are no charges. They don't look to kindly to it, as they are offering the extra contribution as they are naturally earning interest on the finance hence the extra incentive. So yes it's possible, moral judgement I'll leave to you.

They sort of mumbled something about it to me, since every time I asked about things they kept pulling out the lease or finance papers, despite me saying several times that I don't do finance. He then pointed out that the E63 has a £7k contribution on it.

-if there's a manufacturers contribution, can you then push for a discount from the dealer too? I'm thinking £7k off and then 15-20% further off could almost persuade me!

-if there's a manufacturers contribution, can you then push for a discount from the dealer too? I'm thinking £7k off and then 15-20% further off could almost persuade me!

It's extremely unlikely you will get an extra 15-20% off after manufacturer contribution. No matter what they call it, dealer contribution, manufacturer contribution there is an amount to play with. It typically increases if you take out finance, and there are extra incentives supplied by manufacturer on particular models.

The max you'd get on top of £7K contribution is probably £2-3K from the dealer. The best way to find out is to take 1-2 minutes specifying an E63 to your spec on drivethedeal.com and request a manufacturer finance quote. They will phone you back within a day with a quote from MB finance, and this will give you an idea of the max discount you are likely to get. To do a thorough job you could try someone like carfile too, but there is likely to be a few hundred pounds difference if anything.

Cheers

Steve

Whilst this is a possible scenario you need to bear in mind that you dont get off scott free. As you have entered into a finance agreement and terminated it early there will be a note of it against your credit file that could jedordise future loan applications.

Whilst this is a possible scenario you need to bear in mind that you dont get off scott free. As you have entered into a finance agreement and terminated it early there will be a note of it against your credit file that could jedordise future loan applications.

Maybe not your intention, just the way you have worded it , but there wouldn't be a note against your credit file. There would just be the associated credit search, loan taken out and then the loan settled in full. None of this would have an adverse affect on your credit report or score.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom