what's best to treat rust and seal under car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

horgantrevor

MB Enthusiast
Car
w202 c43 & w210 E220 CDI estate w219 W221
hi im looking to treat some rust under the car i have a little but im looking for some thing that you treat the rust first and then seal with some under seal

any tips would be great

thx

Hi Trev,

ive Waxoyled under my car, the company is called Rustmaster,

Done it about a year ago and is doing a superb job, I checked recently how its keeping up under there and its all rosy. :thumb:

The thing is waxoyl is never supposed to 'dry'. But once it is set, it leaves a rubbery type texture. If you dig you nail into it after a little while the self healing properties of the wax reforms 'back to shape'

See if the Waxoyl ever dried completely, over time it will just flake off which is no good!

I have been advised that you should get it re-applied every 4-5 years.

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/bodywork/97959-under-body-rust-prevention-my-124-advice-needed.html

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/members/billyw124-albums-w124-waxoyl-d.html

Last edited:
Do places like rustmaster remove the arch liners when cleaning/waxoyling the underside?

Do places like rustmaster remove the arch liners when cleaning/waxoyling the underside?

Nope they don't. If you want to get the inner arches and skins protected, removal of the wings would be the proper way.

Can you spray waxoyl? I have heard it can be heated making it easier to apply.

yes you can - and is the best way, The person used two types of guns.

One to spary large areas and another which sprays the waxoyl in a fine mist with a long thin nozzle to get to the hard to reach areas.

Yes- the waxoyl was warmed prior to spraying. Makes it much easier to spray as it will be thinner when a little warm and will cover areas better.

Depends how bad the rust is. Just surface rust, then remove it as much as possible, treat the are and waxoyl and the like. Rust that has perforated the metal, you really need to cut out the affected areas and replace with new metal. Time consuming!

the rust i have is under the car not in the wings

were the under seal has chipped over time and im just fussy about things i like to keep on top of things and with winter coming and now they salt the roads in ireland as we never really did before i dont want it to get at any bare metal

thanks for all the help guys

bilthamber hydrate-80 on the rust, some sort of top coat and and then a coat of hammerite waxoil underseal

I had a bodyshop grind out all the rust (only because I dont have a pit) and then seal it.

Then I applied underbody seal, then Dynax.

rust8.jpg

If you are going to warm the waxoyl, put the container in hot water (with the cap removed) it is flamable. You will find a garden type sprayer most suitable. A set of overalls is also advisable.

i have use of a ramp so ill do it then thank you for the info guys ill take a few pictures when im doing it

+1 for Bilt Hamber. Another good product is Millers rust preventative oil which you can then mix with Waxoyl to give a cheaper none setting preventative.

Don't forget a mask.
The fumes will make you sick
But at least you won't rust

Last edited:
I agree bilt Hamber has some excellent products, I used there clay recently, good stuff.

The only one I am not happy with as such is Geox gel but the rest are Ace

Do you have a reference for the Millers rust-preventer ?
They do more that one rust-preventive product.
I use Millers Rust Preventive LDP-30 for the protection of steel pipes which may be in storage for several years.
I very much doubt that this product would be suitable for underneath a car, where the surface is subject to constant water-spray (even salt-water spray in winter).

I guess they must offer a more heavy-duty product.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom