What's everyone doing in the lockdown?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have the same problem, I've filled the bin twice in recently weeks, purely with acorns and the tree is in my neighbours garden!
Ever thought of getting a leaf blower?
I bought a Stihl blower/vac the other day. It's great for dealing with the leaves.

My FIL downsized last year and gave me his Echo petrol blower/vac/mulcher. Great bit of kit. Saves a load of time and it will mean the lawn isn't dappled with dead bits this winter.

I’ve got a petrol one out in Greece. Lovely piece of kit.
My Stijl collection grows every year.
Thank you for sharing. I‘m considering a new battery-powered blower to replace a combined blower and vacuum which I find is too big, heavy and cumbersome, and which I never use as a vacuum as it is too slow pick up.

Stilh do one for £99 which seems like good value for a well regarded brand, but looks like it has an integrated battery which I’m lesss keen on. I’ll continue to ponder for far too long on what really should be a straight forward purchase! 😀

Thank you for sharing. I‘m considering a new battery-powered blower to replace a combined blower and vacuum which I find is too big, heavy and cumbersome, and which I never use as a vacuum as it is too slow pick up.

Stilh do one for £99 which seems like good value for a well regarded brand, but looks like it has an integrated battery which I’m lesss keen on. I’ll continue to ponder for far too long on what really should be a straight forward purchase! 😀

There's no lack of suction on one of these;

i bought a ryobi leaf blower and modified the end so i can dry my car after washing it

Other things I have been doing; not having to commute gives me lots of time back during the working week so once the weather cooled down I started regular running again. Over the last eight weeks I've been ramping up speed & frequency. For the last three weeks I've stepped up my running further by doing 3 x 4 mile runs a week every week. I've done 13 in the last 3 weeks.
Since I cranked up the running my average heart rate has dropped right down from an average resting rate of 53 back down to 49 (which is where it was before summer).

Anyway, I did a great run on Saturday, great speed & time, then dragged some logs out of my car and set off to get some fencing. I then started feeling a bit dizzy and experienced some irregular heartbeats. All very odd. I recovered, got my fencing and carried on as normal for the rest of the weekend.

On the advice of a doctor friend, I went and got checked out yesterday. ECG, blood pressure, blood tests etc etc. Totally clean bill of health. And, usefully, the staff were really interested in corroborating everything with my Fitbit Heartbeat stats. Which are really good for someone my age.

Anyway, looking back, I drank a fair amount of wine on the Friday and very little water. Drank loads of coffee on Saturday morning. And no water. Went for a run and hammered it and then drank very little water. Then rushed around doing DIY and, guess what, drank very little water....Arrythmia comes in many forms, most benign, and can get triggered by the body being under duress. In this case, dehydration, caffeine & hard exercise.

I should know better at my age and will be better behaved going forward but it was great to get a clean bill of health. Next run will be tomorrow :)

Funny all the talk of leaves.

I've spent the last few weeks clearing (every other day) all the leaves away from the front door and garage area.
I don't have any trees in the garden, it's from the ones round about.

In 20 years we have never once had a road sweeper in the street.

From next year if we want a "Brown Bin" for garden waste we have to pay the council an additional fee.

Last edited:
Funny all the talk of leaves.

I've spent the last few weeks clearing all the leaves away from the front door and garage area.
I don't have any tress in the garden, it's from the ones round about.

In 20 years we have never once had a road sweeper in the street.

From next year if we want a "Brown Bin" for garden waste we have to pay the council an additional fee.
90% of the leaves in my back garden are from three sycamores in two neighbouring gardens.

My planting has mainly been evergreens - laurels, fotinias, bays - that sort of thing plus various climbers which just maintain their foliage & shape all year round.

Much easier.

We've had to pay for our brown bin for quite a few years now - since the council introduced garden waste collection. Initially £35pa, now £37.50, but compared to the hassle of carting mucky bags of leaves, grass and hedge cuttings etc to the tip, especially at this time of year, it's well worth the money. Fortunately our massive oak tree (probably 4-500 years old) does not produce loads of acorns every year - in fact only about 1 year in 5-8! - but when it does the brown bin gets very heavy so the collection service is a boon.

We've had to pay for our brown bin for quite a few years now - since the council introduced garden waste collection. Initially £35pa, now £37.50, but compared to the hassle of carting mucky bags of leaves, grass and hedge cuttings etc to the tip, especially at this time of year, it's well worth the money. Fortunately our massive oak tree (probably 4-500 years old) does not produce loads of acorns every year - in fact only about 1 year in 5-8! - but when it does the brown bin gets very heavy so the collection service is a boon.

Yeah, Brent Council have been charging for years. But its an extremely useful service so I don't mind.

And they also take the food caddy and recycling bin once a week for free and the general waste bin once a fortnight for free too

Yeah, Brent Council have been charging for years. But its an extremely useful service so I don't mind.

And they also take the food caddy and recycling bin once a week for free and the general waste bin once a fortnight for free too
Barnet Council started charging this year.
When you pay you get a sticker for your bin. I refused to pay so we obviously didn’t get a sticker.
Our bin still gets emptied. Barnet Council are idiots.

My petrol one is surprisingly light. I also got the gutter clearing kit, which is really useful for blasting leaves and detritus from the gutters.

I'm wont be paying the fee when it is introduced.
The gardener cuts grass and takes stuff away.

What I will be doing is ringing the council to ask about them clearing leaves from footpaths.

And also filling the public bins frequently so I can moan when these are full

Our council is run by idiots.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom