What's everyone doing in the lockdown?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Myself and most of my neighbours just put our garden waste in black bags and put it in the landfill waste now

It was quiet up around Tottenham Court Road and Oxford Street. Kensington was also pretty quiet with High St Ken Stn being dead. The Ivy Brasserie was closed.
Hyde Park was rammed at 4pm. I rode rode it on a Boris bike!!

What I have noticed is that London has become a bit like a doughnut....nothing happening in the middle but plenty going on around the edges.

The city has died for sure. I was up there at lunchtime just before the lockdown and it was dead in comparison to the usual hustle and bustle of lunchtimes in the city. Plenty of pubs and eating places closed and that was before lockdown part 2.

What I have noticed is that London has become a bit like a doughnut....nothing happening in the middle but plenty going on around the edges.

The city has died for sure. I was up there at lunchtime just before the lockdown and it was dead in comparison to the usual hustle and bustle of lunchtimes in the city. Plenty of pubs and eating places closed and that was before lockdown part 2.
I’m noticing that there are a lot of jams but they’re not due to the sheer weight of traffic. I overtake them all and when I get to the front it’ll be due to roadworks, stupid wooden flower boxes in the road or Chapter 8 fencing put in place by the council to give shoppers a chance to social distance. (There are no shoppers because of the lockdown).

The city has been pretty much dead since the start of March. It was quietening down 2 weeks before the first lockdown.

I’m noticing that there are a lot of jams but they’re not due to the sheer weight of traffic. I overtake them all and when I get to the front it’ll be due to roadworks, stupid wooden flower boxes in the road or Chapter 8 fencing put in place by the council to give shoppers a chance to social distance. (There are no shoppers because of the lockdown).

The city has been pretty much dead since the start of March. It was quietening down 2 weeks before the first lockdown.

When me & the Mrs have done the odd drive from Willesden to Hampstead and back we're noticed all manor of holdups and this is over the weekend. I've never know traffic jams like it in the 32 years I've been here.

You're right; round this way it's mainly roadworks and those bloody wooden box things. What are they thinking? It's nuts.

Thank you for sharing. I‘m considering a new battery-powered blower to replace a combined blower and vacuum which I find is too big, heavy and cumbersome, and which I never use as a vacuum as it is too slow pick up.

Stilh do one for £99 which seems like good value for a well regarded brand, but looks like it has an integrated battery which I’m lesss keen on. I’ll continue to ponder for far too long on what really should be a straight forward purchase! 😀
Gtech’s leaf blower was ridiculous at £499 although that does buy you a 36v battery and variable speed control. Well it’s now £150 in the Black Friday sales, so £350 off (70%) Was enough to get my attention. Duly ordered.

When me & the Mrs have done the odd drive from Willesden to Hampstead and back we're noticed all manor of holdups and this is over the weekend. I've never know traffic jams like it in the 32 years I've been here.

You're right; round this way it's mainly roadworks and those bloody wooden box things. What are they thinking? It's nuts.

Not only is it nuts it environmental madness. It's time that it was made illegal for councils to do stupid things that increase pollution unnecessarily. I see no evidence from better management of road works to so called traffic calming that councils really care about the extra pollution they cause.

Not only is it nuts it environmental madness. It's time that it was made illegal for councils to do stupid things that increase pollution unnecessarily. I see no evidence from better management of road works to so called traffic calming that councils really care about the extra pollution they cause.

Actually I looked into it and it's a strange one. Seems like it's a central govt-led initiative and they told councils at short notice that they had to immediately sign up to the programme or lose any funding. So suddenly, without any consultation, they did.

So now we're in some sort of review period. Must get those complaints in.......

Good to see @Bobby Dazzler getting some additional work during these hard times. We’ve just booked tickets for Carlisle. Look forward to seeing them both. 🥳

View attachment 105212
Open invitation to all members of MBClub: mention my name at the door and they’ll let you in for free. 🤥

Too bloomin late now Mr D. I’ve already paid a fiver per ticket. 🙄

😁
When you arrive, just ask the guys with the long black coats and a mean face for a refund, Donny forget to mention my name though!

When you arrive, just ask the guys with the long black coats and a mean face for a refund, Donny forget to mention my name though!
I’m concerned that mentioning your name may evoke an initiation ceremony. Will I need a mask and some cable ties?

Actually I looked into it and it's a strange one. Seems like it's a central govt-led initiative and they told councils at short notice that they had to immediately sign up to the programme or lose any funding. So suddenly, without any consultation, they did.

So now we're in some sort of review period. Must get those complaints in.......
Exactly so. We have a a Covid 19 Active Travel Scheme in our village. It's moronic, dangerous and does nothing to solve our non-existant problems.
But it's free money so what would the council do? Not claim? And go straight to the bottom of any future free money list?
There must be someone around who can cobble up a scheme by the end of next week. Yes, we can get old Fred from Signposts and Traffic Control and young Chardonnay, the trainee photocopyist. They have nothing else to do. Brilliant.
And the council decided not to activate the new bus lane camera for fear of being confrontational during the pandemic.

I’m concerned that mentioning your name may evoke an initiation ceremony. Will I need a mask and some cable ties?
Under normal circumstances they would be happy to provide, but you know the current rules Ant - no sharing of masks ...or cable ties!

Just before lockdown 2 started, I finished extending the original log store (so that it would actually keep the lowest logs dry...). Then my Mrs bought a weatherproof gazebo that completely covers the 6 seat table outdoors.

We tried it out a couple of times with guests and it was great, even in proper rain - the only issue being that we started getting got through a LOT of logs on the chiminea.

So I build a second log store down the side of the house and created enough space for a half-crate of logs which arrived on Friday. Bingo. Ready to start having friends round again.

At the same time. I've been scavenging pallets as there are loads left on the pavements round here, they are a free source of firewood and they fit nicely in my car. I've been cutting up the crate the logs came in to make a 3rd, smaller, log store and over the next couple of days I'll have somewhere to store three or four pallets' worth of wood. Fricking hope so too as I've got nine to dispose of.....

Anyway, here's log store 2. Built mainly from offcuts, spare timber and an old trellis I had lying around. Beyond it you can see 3 x pallets and some more old timber that's going to get cut, stacked and burnt.

Log Store 2.jpg

Just before lockdown 2 started, I finished extending the original log store (so that it would actually keep the lowest logs dry...). Then my Mrs bought a weatherproof gazebo that completely covers the 6 seat table outdoors.

We tried it out a couple of times with guests and it was great, even in proper rain - the only issue being that we started getting got through a LOT of logs on the chiminea.

So I build a second log store down the side of the house and created enough space for a half-crate of logs which arrived on Friday. Bingo. Ready to start having friends round again.

At the same time. I've been scavenging pallets as there are loads left on the pavements round here, they are a free source of firewood and they fit nicely in my car. I've been cutting up the crate the logs came in to make a 3rd, smaller, log store and over the next couple of days I'll have somewhere to store three or four pallets' worth of wood. Fricking hope so too as I've got nine to dispose of.....

Anyway, here's log store 2. Built mainly from offcuts, spare timber and an old trellis I had lying around. Beyond it you can see 3 x pallets and some more old timber that's going to get cut, stacked and burnt.

Log Store 2.jpg
You need some lead flashing, a cavity tray, gutter and down pipe. Apart from that it’s ok. 😁

Joking aside, another great job. You’re certainly in for a cosy winter. 🥳

Last edited by a moderator:
Rebushed my rear subframe and ran Henry over the carpet in my garage. Watched 4 parts of The Pacific and drank a few expresso

Hospital appointments in December.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom