What's everyone doing in the lockdown?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
You need some lead flashing, a cavity tray, gutter and down pipe. Apart from that it’s ok. 😁

Joking aside, another great job. You’re certainly in for a cosy winter. 🥳
Did I see the words ‘lead flashing’ there??

It’s becoming a lost art now mate. 😕
It was a lost art when I was at the height of my career but I’m still in touch with some of the big boys. Some of the lads I know are still earning £2-2500 a week.
Richardson Roofing
NDM Leadroofing
MartinUK

My old partner is on Claridges at the moment and K1 in Knightsbridge is going to be 100 tons at least. Strangely enough we are doing the temps on it!!

People think it’s a dying trade because it’s not in the plumbing apprenticeship anymore and all the new builds now are glass and steel. There’s still plenty happening although hard metals are getting popular now.

It was a lost art when I was at the height of my career but I’m still in touch with some of the big boys. Some of the lads I know are still earning £2-2500 a week.
Richardson Roofing
NDM Leadroofing
MartinUK

My old partner is on Claridges at the moment and K1 in Knightsbridge is going to be 100 tons at least. Strangely enough we are doing the temps on it!!

People think it’s a dying trade because it’s not in the plumbing apprenticeship anymore and all the new builds now are glass and steel. There’s still plenty happening although hard metals are getting popular now.
The reason I said that was because 25 years ago I could easily get a flasher to do my extensions. Nowadays it’s a struggle. I’m ok doing it myself if it’s nowt fancy/elaborate.

The reason I said that was because 25 years ago I could easily get a flasher to do my extensions. Nowadays it’s a struggle. I’m ok doing it myself if it’s nowt fancy/elaborate.
Like I said, plumbers don’t learn it whilst doing their time anymore. The proper C&G was cut down to make it easier and quicker to train up unqualified Eastern European’s when they entered the EU. I’ve seen trained plumbers on big sites now that can’t even use a bender or a blow lamp!!

The only blokes that do flashings etc are slaters and tilers. The old saying goes that roofers make shite leadworkers but leadworkers make pukka roofers. My slating (especially random) is second to none.

Last edited:
Right; I'm about to build my third and final log store. Again down the side of the house, again roughly 2m x 600. This is to store all the chopped up pallets and any old off-cuts that I want to keep dry and burn later.

I get bonus points for clearing up all the junk that's been cluttering up the side passage for the last two years. Unlike the rest of the outdoors, it was looking very Steptoe & Son down there. Bits of old fence, unused trellis, timber, bags of compost & sand, an old bike, all sorts of junk.

So now the guests will get a nice entrance to the garden and will find a sodding great fire when they make it round to the patio.

Going to enjoy the re-introduction of the rule of 6. The table is already fully booked on Friday and Saturday.

Lucky you - we've gone from Tier 1 into lockdown and out of lockdown into Tier 3 simply because it's decided by county not borough, so we're stuffed until at least Dec 16th, and with what's happening in North Kent/Medway plus Thanet and Dover, I'm not sure we'll drop to Tier 2 on the 16th. However, we are going to visit daughter, SIL and grandchildren on 26th, so at least have that to look forward to.

Lucky you - we've gone from Tier 1 into lockdown and out of lockdown into Tier 3 simply because it's decided by county not borough, so we're stuffed until at least Dec 16th, and with what's happening in North Kent/Medway plus Thanet and Dover, I'm not sure we'll drop to Tier 2 on the 16th. However, we are going to visit daughter, SIL and grandchildren on 26th, so at least have that to look forward to.
Actually, it did occur to me after I posted that that some folks on here would be stuffed by T3. Must be really frustrating.

I suppose the 26th is a consolation. Still annoying to be in T3 through.

Still working :thumb:
I might add that I've been doing all this in lunchtimes, evenings and weekends.

But I've given up trying to do the last one in fits and starts. I'm going to get the last materials I need today and then take tomorrow afternoon off and get everything finished.

That'll free up some family time at the weekend.

Plus, I've just had to drag 3 x pallets round the back of the house and into the shed to keep them dry. And there are still five in the back of the car.

Need somewhere to store the pieces before I cut them up.

Building some Circuit Boards at home for a customer.
Having to use best glasses and a head magnifier visor.

View attachment 105807
I was designing and building boards like that back in the early 70s, mostly using glass substrates that I gold plated then etched using hand made masks (no, not the things we all have to wear now!). The components you’re using all look the same as the ones I used 50 years ago. I couldn’t even see the board now, let alone solder the components in place!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom