What's everyone doing in the lockdown?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I was designing and building boards like that back in the early 70s, mostly using glass substrates that I gold plated then etched using hand made masks (no, not the things we all have to wear now!). The components you’re using all look the same as the ones I used 50 years ago. I couldn’t even see the board now, let alone solder the components in place!
Lol - I have just even trying to read the writing on the TV screen - couldn't make out anything from a distance. #gettingoldersucks ☹🥸

God, breaking up pallets is a PITA.

By the end of Saturday I'd managed get rid of three of the ten. On Sunday I did one more but used a handsaw rather than the electric one out of consideration to the neighbours.

So I've still got three in the back of the car and three in the shed. The plan is to get a new blade for my circular saw and get them done on Saturday.

The good news is that I've now got space to take some proper log deliveries - if all three were empty I'm guessing I could do a full crate. But buying in increments of half crates is also fine.

The main point is be able to buy cheap & rack it up with some free stuff on top as a bonus.

God, breaking up pallets is a PITA.

By the end of Saturday I'd managed get rid of three of the ten. On Sunday I did one more but used a handsaw rather than the electric one out of consideration to the neighbours.

So I've still got three in the back of the car and three in the shed. The plan is to get a new blade for my circular saw and get them done on Saturday.

The good news is that I've now got space to take some proper log deliveries - if all three were empty I'm guessing I could do a full crate. But buying in increments of half crates is also fine.

The main point is be able to buy cheap & rack it up with some free stuff on top as a bonus.
I use a chainsaw on pallets. Quick work then!😁

I was designing and building boards like that back in the early 70s, mostly using glass substrates that I gold plated then etched using hand made masks (no, not the things we all have to wear now!). The components you’re using all look the same as the ones I used 50 years ago. I couldn’t even see the board now, let alone solder the components in place!

We used to do the same back in the day, etch and drill our own boards.
Good think now PCB wise there are are lots of low cost fast turn companies that can get small runs to us within 5 working days.

Parts on this board are mostly 1.6 x 0.8mm (0603) , these are big for us so we can build tem by hand.
There is a couple of 0.5mm pitch multi pin connectors though that are very delicate.

Had our machines being doing them we would be down at 0.6 x 0.3mm and 1 x 0.5mm and I'd need the proper microscope to work on them. ;)

I use a chainsaw on pallets. Quick work then!😁
That's the way to do it.

I had no idea just how many were left lying around in NW London until I started looking. Got 10 in a week, could have had 10 more by now.

Turning my back sitting room into a proper Office with a work desk.
Been using it most of the year but as sort of stop gap and it is far from perfect.

TV, cabinet, couch and chair gone.
Gave the Canon iR2020 copier away too, it just takes up too much room at home.

Two full length desks in, one for office stuff, other for a work desk.

Going to bring 2 of the office cupboards I have in the garage in so that will also give me more room in the garage.

My life just trundles on with work, cycling, the gym and swimming.

I love to spend time with my brother and sister and their families. We communicate via text, Facebook and WhatsApp pretty much everyday so we’re gutted that we most probably won’t be spending this Christmas together.

I really feel for the folks working in the hospo game.

Waiting to see what tomorrow brings, here in Kent we're expecting to remain in Tier 3, but daughter in Bucks is thinking they'll go from 2 to 3 tomorrow which could screw our plans to go there 26th - we know there's the 5 day reduction in restrictions, but have also seen that tier restrictions will still apply, so does that mean we can or can't visit and stay overnight if they go into Tier 3? Will be a bar steward if we can't see the grandchildren Boxing Day and for a day or so after, and it's a bit far to day trip.

My life just trundles on with work, cycling, the gym and swimming.

I love to spend time with my brother and sister and their families. We communicate via text, Facebook and WhatsApp pretty much everyday so we’re gutted that we most probably won’t be spending this Christmas together.

I really feel for the folks working in the hospo game.

Grim for them. And for people on their own. Terrible turn of events for them.

Well I'm glad I built some more log storage. I've just ordered another half crate of ash (or two builders bags' worth in old money).

Yesterday me & the mrs walked to Hampstead Heath and back then sat outside for a few hours burning vast amounts of wood.

There are worse ways to spend a Sunday afternoon, I suppose.

Going to get through a lot between now and Easter.......

Well I have finished all the work around here,during the summer lock down I finished off the lounge extension,6 weeeks ago I got a local company to lay new turf in the back garden as the grass had been ruined by all the building work,and then because we cannot go on holiday I decided to get the driveway done in grey block paving,not the time of the year to be doing it,but we had a week of decent weather and it does look good,then of course that spawned another job in that my stepson in his van said that when he reverses into the driveway he has trouble seeing the wooden sleepers on his nearside and a couple of lights would help,so I ran cable and put two at the end ,SWMBO has just reminded me that I do have a job left and that is to prune the Wisteria,it has rained for much of the day here at sunny Dovercourt so I might get away with it until after xmas.
Like many we were going to spend xmas with family,but they are now in tier 4 and because we obey the rules are in tier 2 :rolleyes: and so we are spending xmas on our own,plenty of food and drink in the property as we were expecting people on Wednesday for dinner but they have cancelled not wanting to travel around,so I write this with a large Bacardi and coke and looking forward to Spag Bol tonight and a nice bottle of red wine.
I hope everybody keeps well and enjoys the holiday period I am going to do the best I can with 15 bottles of red and plenty of spirits :)

New logs arrived yesterday and are sitting out the front waiting for me to knock off at the end of today. There are 400kg of them and I'll need to bag them up and carry them round the back.

I reckon I've got space for them and for the 100kg or so that are left over from previous deliveries.

Looking forward to firing up the chiminea.

Currently sat in a hospital gown awaiting a trip to theatre.
Hope it's a good panto they're showing!🤣

Currently sat in a hospital gown awaiting a trip to theatre.
Hope it's a good panto they're showing!🤣
Hope your not in too much pain and it all goes smoothly

It's going to be a lovely quiet Boxing Day this year. All those people who shop like crazy up to and including Christmas Eve and then get up early on Boxing Day to shop like crazy again ...will have to stay at home and continue to talk to their families...love it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom