What's everyone doing in the lockdown?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm having a battle of wits with a pair of seagulls who have decided to make a home on my next door neighbour's roof. She's in her 80's so can't expect her to be climbing ladders & sloping roof. Been going on for about a month, but ramped up in the last few day's. Originally was a couple of twigs, but now its serious house building. Up there twice a day removing the nest. Now its about 2 feet diameter, or was until I arrived. They are not getting the eviction message. Oh for the good old day's when you could shoot things. For anyone about to give me a hard time, don't bother, its water off a seagull's back

Depending upon the species, and your location, some gulls can still be shot if posing a hazard to health.
I'm having a battle of wits with a pair of seagulls who have decided to make a home on my next door neighbour's roof. She's in her 80's so can't expect her to be climbing ladders & sloping roof. Been going on for about a month, but ramped up in the last few day's. Originally was a couple of twigs, but now its serious house building. Up there twice a day removing the nest. Now its about 2 feet diameter, or was until I arrived. They are not getting the eviction message. Oh for the good old day's when you could shoot things. For anyone about to give me a hard time, don't bother, its water off a seagull's back

Depending upon the species, and your location, some gulls can still be shot if posing a hazard to health.
Its a hazard to my health if I fall off the #"#*#* roof.:mad: Does that count or do I have to wait until I fall.:)

Things are getting desperate, I spent a good chunk of today cleaning the oven and the racks etc inside it! Hopefully tomorrow will be better as I'm hoping the TV aerial guy will finally come and sort out whatever went wrong with my TV reception months ago - he's finally able to do inside the house inspection to get into my loft and check the distribution amp as well as checking the aerial itself!

The other day I realised I hadn't clean the block paving at the front for at least a year - maybe two? Once I started it turned out to be really filthy - in the end it took me a solid couple of hours of pressure washing to get the worst of it done. I've got a few spots to finish by hand later then I'll brush some new sand in.

And I've got a new task; I had the balcony at the front decked the other week and it looks amazing now. Me & the Mrs go up there for sundowners sometimes - it's west-facing so it gets the sun in the evening. The builder came round yesterday to get paid and week looked it over and I agreed I now need to get the brickwork finished off with some coping stones and get some low railings fitted. I also need to work out some planting for a bit of privacy. Not sure whether to get some tall pots, some kit-build planters or whether to build something bespoke. Or a combination of all three. Also might hang a couple of window boxes on the inner section for a bit more screening. Anyway, it's going to look amazing and it's a nice little escape for the two of us at the end of a busy day. It's like having a whole new room.

And we're toying with the idea of getting a garden room built - I need to stake out a 3m x 3m area on the lawn to see if it'll be too large or not.

When I said I'd run out of things to do I was clearly talking out of my a**e.

For re-sanding your block paving there's a product that sets and includes a weedkiller, I used it on my front drive a couple of years ago and it's loads better than normal fine sand (OK, more expensive, but IMHO worth it). It's a well known brand, but unfortunately I can't remember the name, used all I bought (and the small area I had to use normal sand on is growing weeds and moss!), but hopefully Google will be your friend!

For re-sanding your block paving there's a product that sets and includes a weedkiller, I used it on my front drive a couple of years ago and it's loads better than normal fine sand (OK, more expensive, but IMHO worth it). It's a well known brand, but unfortunately I can't remember the name, used all I bought (and the small area I had to use normal sand on is growing weeds and moss!), but hopefully Google will be your friend!

Thanks, I'll look into that. I had all sorts of weeds and moss in the joints.

Anyway, I decided that I'd also seal it. I used a couple of large tins of the Wickes stuff which allowed me to coat the whole thing once and give about 60% of it a second coat.

Was planning to sand it later in the week to finish it off.

I've only just realised I've done it the wrong way round - the sealant is supposed to go on top of the sand and protect it - what a numpty.

Oh well, it'll end up with three coats of sealant and some weed-suppressing sand......

@Londonscottish, I think what I used was this : https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product...4h-21&linkId=ce514c40050d4a6df2e9cb77ba73d43e, or something similar from another reputable supplier.

Aha! What a great recommendation!

I've used something similar on a patio before but it never occurred to me to use a setting compound for block paving.

That's ideal as I've been torn between keeping the drive clean with a pressure washer and blowing all the sand out of the joints - there's the answer.

Thanks!

Apart from weeds in the small area I had to use ordinary fine sand on (needed about another 1/4 bag really!) the only thing that's "disturbed" the setting sand is ants somehow getting through it, noticable by the underlying sand they bring with them!

Took a drive up the Bealach. Then the obligatory ascent of the Sgurr a'Chaorachain.
Noticeably less traffic than previous drives.

Attachments

• CE4EE34D-6A48-497A-925D-E79A03E09E43.jpeg
    CE4EE34D-6A48-497A-925D-E79A03E09E43.jpeg
    132.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 50935CF3-3CBA-41D6-80E7-606A701825C0.jpeg
    50935CF3-3CBA-41D6-80E7-606A701825C0.jpeg
    118.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 48B0FE71-274D-4E64-B102-5A9B0C27FBA3.jpeg
    48B0FE71-274D-4E64-B102-5A9B0C27FBA3.jpeg
    89.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 6E367194-EE4C-453A-9A19-053DB0C26471.jpeg
    6E367194-EE4C-453A-9A19-053DB0C26471.jpeg
    109.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 289CF866-2933-415E-8F62-7CB2532D8823.jpeg
    289CF866-2933-415E-8F62-7CB2532D8823.jpeg
    167.9 KB · Views: 8
@Londonscottish, I think what I used was this : https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product...4h-21&linkId=ce514c40050d4a6df2e9cb77ba73d43e, or something similar from another reputable supplier.
Mmm, not all the reviews are completely complimentary. Pity really, as it looks the biz.
However, I have to do something with my block paved drive, it’s getting a few weeds and a lot of moss in the cracks.

Today, though, I’ve repainted my garage floor, hopefully second coat tomorrow.

What paint did you use?
Good question, what colour, how long before dry, where did you buy It, what coverage ie sq, mts, per litre, lastly what cost????? Post some Pics. 👍
PS, and hurry up I'm off out in a minute and on a need to know basis, I need to know!! 🤗

Good question, what colour, how long before dry, where did you buy It, what coverage ie sq, mts, per litre, lastly what cost????? Post some Pics. 👍
PS, and hurry up I'm off out in a minute and on a need to know basis, I need to know!! 🤗
Sorry to disappoint you, can’t give many details, because it’s paint I bought from eBay about 10 years ago - 5 x 2.5 ltrs ‘Floor paint’ via eBay for £18. Plain grey, spirit based, liquid. I did it yesterday, all dry enough for a second coat except in a couple of ‘puddles’ which were filled with paint, so I’m leaving it another day or so. I’ll try and post a pic.
Malcolm

After yesterday’s first coat. And yes, it’s the floor I painted, not the walls, they were already emulsioned in white. Sorry about the pics being sideways

Attachments

• 47AB323F-7CE2-4F29-9E42-175D0DC12360.jpeg
    47AB323F-7CE2-4F29-9E42-175D0DC12360.jpeg
    585.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 1897764D-1144-49C3-8437-B4E4F398627D.jpeg
    1897764D-1144-49C3-8437-B4E4F398627D.jpeg
    365.2 KB · Views: 10
  • F52E2EC5-707B-4501-ACBE-B6BBC1556DED.jpeg
    F52E2EC5-707B-4501-ACBE-B6BBC1556DED.jpeg
    419.1 KB · Views: 10
Thankyou kind sir, we're decorating front room at moment, but would like to do something with garage floor also, while out now will look at costs, and colours or. on E bay. 👍

After yesterday’s first coat. And yes, it’s the floor I painted, not the walls, they were already emulsioned in white. Sorry about the pics being sideways
That concrete looks the perfect finish for paint to adhere to.
I made the mistake of polishing our concrete on the day it was laid. Nice smooth finish but too polished for the paint to grip. Within a few weeks the (rather expensive) paint started to peel up when driven on.

I’ve been searching for a more invincible paint ever since, hence me asking you what you used. I will maybe have to bite the bullet and go the resin route.

yours looks a great job. Nowt like a tidy garage floor. 👍

Mmm, not all the reviews are completely complimentary. Pity really, as it looks the biz.
However, I have to do something with my block paved drive, it’s getting a few weeds and a lot of moss in the cracks.

Today, though, I’ve repainted my garage floor, hopefully second coat tomorrow.

I've used something similar in the past, although on large, smooth patio tiles where's it's easier to brush away excess.

If it doesn't work I notices that one of the reviewers suggested another way of doing it: using normal sand and spraying the sealant into it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom