What's everyone doing in the lockdown?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Took brand new premium car cover off my 2007 SL500 to find puddles on the bonnet, roof and boot 🤬. Got front wheels for AR Brera back from refurbishing and they look Gr8. Called car cover people and waited and waited and waited. Gave up did instant chat on their website to be told the puddles were condensation!!! Told guy he must be wrong. It’s gona rain Sunday so told him his “premium” waterproof 7 layer cover gets one more chance then I’ll review it everywhere with the 10 photos I took of the puddles on the car after removing cover 2 hours after it stopped raining. Oh he also suggested that if I left the cover on it’s breathing ability would allow the puddles to evaporate 🤔

I'm no fan of BBQ, but Weber outperform charcoal : quality of food, speed of set up, reduction of mess.

Charcoal BBQ's only best at picnics. Here on Wimbledon Common they take out an acre of heathland in less than 20 minutes.

The Mrs picked up the BBQ and very nice it is too. Weber Q2200.

Aluminium body, stainless burner, plastic (rot-proof) base + removable powder coated legs are all good for longevity. The fact that the alu is thick and the grills are casr iron is good for heat retention. It's got a neat fat trap & comes with a griddle which drops on top and takes up 50% of the cooking space.

The fact it breaks down easily is great for storage and a long life.

As I'm already planning to extend my log store I'm going to figure out how to add in a removable sheld for the BBQ as that's an ideal spot.

The charcoal one is going on eBay :)

Took brand new premium car cover off my 2007 SL500 to find puddles on the bonnet, roof and boot 🤬. Got front wheels for AR Brera back from refurbishing and they look Gr8. Called car cover people and waited and waited and waited. Gave up did instant chat on their website to be told the puddles were condensation!!! Told guy he must be wrong. It’s gona rain Sunday so told him his “premium” waterproof 7 layer cover gets one more chance then I’ll review it everywhere with the 10 photos I took of the puddles on the car after removing cover 2 hours after it stopped raining. Oh he also suggested that if I left the cover on it’s breathing ability would allow the puddles to evaporate 🤔

I think they are correct and it is condensation.

We had a caravan that we covered with a breathable cover and there was always condensation and mould problems - admittedly it was Brisbane Australia where humidity is very high in summer.

The Mrs picked up the BBQ and very nice it is too. Weber Q2200.

Aluminium body, stainless burner, plastic (rot-proof) base + removable powder coated legs are all good for longevity. The fact that the alu is thick and the grills are casr iron is good for heat retention. It's got a neat fat trap & comes with a griddle which drops on top and takes up 50% of the cooking space.

The fact it breaks down easily is great for storage and a long life.

As I'm already planning to extend my log store I'm going to figure out how to add in a removable sheld for the BBQ as that's an ideal spot.

The charcoal one is going on eBay :)

They are good machines.

We used the Baby Q's for camping in Australia and bought my son the biggest one (2000?) as an engagement present. It gets well used and is still going strong 5 years on (and it lives uncovered, exposed to the elements on his patio - :mad:)!

My weber (spirit elite) is 12 years old, gets used at leat 1x a week and is still going well. It will need an ignitor kit sometime (still working) but my only maintenance is to hit it with the pressure washer 1x a year!

They are good machines.

We used the Baby Q's for camping in Australia and bought my son the biggest one (2000?) as an engagement present. It gets well used and is still going strong 5 years on (and it lives uncovered, exposed to the elements on his patio - :mad:)!

My weber (spirit elite) is 12 years old, gets used at leat 1x a week and is still going well. It will need an ignitor kit sometime (still working) but my only maintenance is to hit it with the pressure washer 1x a year!

I think the 2000 was replaced by the 2200 but is basically the same thing/size/format. It's the largest "portable" one although in this case "portable" is maybe stretching it a bit. What it is is the largest gas Weber that doesn't come with a full-size integral cart which suits me down to the ground. One of the reasons I bought the kettle is that I wanted something in a smaller format. The Q2200 also has a small footprint and can be broken down/stored easily.

In my case it fits neatly on the shelf at the base of the log store I recently built and I can hide the gas bottle underneath. Bingo.

I was saying to my wife last night that Weber stuff is a bit like Miele or Karcher - it costs a bit more to start with but is really well designed and is built to a higher standard and therefore likely to last a lot longer than things which are initially cheaper.

Certainly worth paying for quality, I have a Redfyre 27 SS gas BBQ I bought 12 years ago, it lives outdoors (covered for winter) and apart from cleaning has needed little maintenance - there are similar looking ones on eBay for half what I paid for mine, friend bought one and within a couple of years got rid of it, the cheaper thinner SS not only got hot when using it (cue a few burnt hands/arms) but also started to rust. Only problem for me now is that Redfyre stopped selling BBQ's some years ago and now no longer have any spare parts!

Certainly worth paying for quality, I have a Redfyre 27 SS gas BBQ I bought 12 years ago, it lives outdoors (covered for winter) and apart from cleaning has needed little maintenance - there are similar looking ones on eBay for half what I paid for mine, friend bought one and within a couple of years got rid of it, the cheaper thinner SS not only got hot when using it (cue a few burnt hands/arms) but also started to rust. Only problem for me now is that Redfyre stopped selling BBQ's some years ago and now no longer have any spare parts!

Yeah the carts gave way on my last two - mild steel parts just rotted through even though they were always covered. Not particulary cheap to start with, either.

I think the 2000 was replaced by the 2200 but is basically the same thing/size/format. It's the largest "portable" one although in this case "portable" is maybe stretching it a bit. What it is is the largest gas Weber that doesn't come with a full-size integral cart which suits me down to the ground. One of the reasons I bought the kettle is that I wanted something in a smaller format. The Q2200 also has a small footprint and can be broken down/stored easily.

In my case it fits neatly on the shelf at the base of the log store I recently built and I can hide the gas bottle underneath. Bingo.

I was saying to my wife last night that Weber stuff is a bit like Miele or Karcher - it costs a bit more to start with but is really well designed and is built to a higher standard and therefore likely to last a lot longer than things which are initially cheaper.

Have to agree about the quality. Back in SA before we could get Webers, I'd get a new BBQ every year (bearing in mind they get well used there). in 1984 I got my first Weber (kettle), which got a refurb kit when I gave it to my son in early 2000 after I'd purchased a spirit elite. That was then sold to a friend in 2005 when I left the ME. After 2 years in Japan I got my current unit in 2008.

3 Webers in 25 years and not because any unit was failing.

I can still get spares for mine and it is a model that is about 20 years old.........

I think the reason I did not get a Webber was at the time they did not do one with a rotisserie and back burner, which was one of the primary requirements (along with at least 3 ordinary burners and a side burner). Anyway, I'm well pleased with what I bought, and it's had plenty of use in the 12 years so far - the back burner and rotisserie make a better job of a roast joint than the fan oven in the kitchen - even SWMBO admits that, and she's the (drama) queen of the Sunday roast!

I think the reason I did not get a Webber was at the time they did not do one with a rotisserie and back burner, which was one of the primary requirements (along with at least 3 ordinary burners and a side burner). Anyway, I'm well pleased with what I bought, and it's had plenty of use in the 12 years so far - the back burner and rotisserie make a better job of a roast joint than the fan oven in the kitchen - even SWMBO admits that, and she's the (drama) queen of the Sunday roast!

.....and less mess. We do most of our meat cooking in the Weber unless it is p1$$!ng with rain.

Last edited by a moderator:
The weekend was fun.

On Sayurday I cycled round the heath with my son then cycled to a mate's house to watch the QPR game. Cycled home where my son proceeded to (i) cut the lawn (with stripes) and (b) cook the family dinner on the new gas Weber.

On Sunday he fired it up againg and did back and eggs on the grddle for Fathers day brunch. Had good friends friends round in the garden later then dinner outdoors.

Rounded off the weekend by polishing up my chacoal Weber and sticking it on eBay. I will NOT be sorry to see it go.

Having made the same switch years ago I'd never go back to charcoal! Hope you've got a rotisserie on that Weber, you should also look into a wood chip SS thing (not the Weber, it rusted away rather too quickly, I now have a SS one) and suitable smoke chips! Also make sure after use that you wash, dry and lightly oil the griddle, I was given a cast iron one, used it once, washed it and put it away, a year later (in a garden shed in its cardboard box) it had rusted so badly I binned it.

In an effort to reduce the number of bikes stored about the place from 7 to 5 (well, to 5 1/2 really, but that's another story) I cleaned up and put up one of the superseded kids' bikes onto eBay last week. With a day to go, there have been 855 views and there are now 78 watchers.

It turns out that, because of Covid supply chain problems + increased demand, now's a great time to sell s/h bikes. So yesterday I started work on the 2nd one.

kids bike.jpg

The first bike just sold for 311 UKP. Only paid 330 for it. Four years ago.

Just shows how hars it is to find new bikes right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom