What's everyone doing in the lockdown?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
We are remaining open at present (sales, hire and servicing/repair of diesel and electric compressors ) , with over 100 diesels out on site at any one time. As a small family owned business we have customers in utilities/food/drink/health/geotechnical/quarries /engineering /power stations , etc. A lot of relatively high cost equipment , much of which we fear will be stood down . I usually work Monday to Thursday , with five of us in the office, one of whom has gone into self isolation . I suggested to the boss that myself and one of my colleagues ( who works Monday, Tuesday and Thursday) alternate our days so we each do 5 days a fortnight , which was gratefully accepted . Supply chain is becoming an issue and I can forsee that storage is going to become "interesting" if we get too many off-hires.
With my extra few days off there is plenty to keep me occupied . Hopefully my composite fencing will be delivered on Wednesday , but with the latest curfew rules out my mate coming over to help ( 50 mile round trip from his place to ours).By the time I put up a string line , make a hole for the first of fifteen fence posts that will be the best part of a day gone ( tricky stuff establishing a straight line!). Tomorrow being my first "extra " day off I have to visit the chemist for my wife`s prescription , come back , shower ,change and thoroughly scrub hands before popping over to see my 93 year old mother who is currently on week two of isolation and confused as to why she cannot go out with her friends ( she has alzheimers). My wife is confined to home as she is on the vulnerable list , so now has even more time to find me jobs that are in URGENT need of attention , like painting the outside walls, tidying up the garden, oiling the worktops , cleaning out the pond , obviously not realising that is at least ten years work.

edf11e02e8453c35f799b1e57d7e58ed.jpg

I think I’m ok to continue working.
Building site is about 20 miles from home and there is only me & SWMBO working on the site.
Only real issue I can see is that we need to fill up with diesel tomorrow afternoon and every 8 working days after if we are allowed/can do so risk free.

Taking note of the following (copied and pasted)

YOU ALL NEED TO READ THIS.
Why do we need to shut places where people group?

Remember this: VIRAL LOAD
There will be a lot about this. Why is it important?
With this virus, the amount of virus in your blood at first infection directly relates to the severity of the illness you will suffer. This isn’t unusual - HIV management is all about reducing viral load to keep people alive longer. BUT it’s very important in COVID-19.
So if you are in, say, a pub or religious building or entertainment venue with 200 people and a large number don’t have symptoms but are shedding, you are breathing in lots of droplets per minute and absorbing a high load of the virus. In a crowded space. They become ill over the next 48 hours. You then three days later wonder why you can’t breathe and end up in hospital. You’d decided because you were young and healthy it wasn’t going to be a problem. Wrong.

Fortunately but unfortunately because the elderly are isolating quite well, the initial UK data suggests that all age groups above 20 are almost equally represented in ITUs in England. Most of the cases are in London but the wave is moving outwards.
This means that being under 60 and fit and well doesn’t seem to be as protective as we thought. Why? Viral load.
This may be skewed simply by the fact that too many Londoners didn’t do as asked and congregated in large groups in confined spaces and got a large initial viral load. They then went home and infected their wider families. Which is why, as London is overwhelmed, we need to shut everything down to save the rest of the UK. We are a week at most behind London.
Our sympathies go out to the families affected in London and the critical care teams battling right now to save as many as they can.
If I sit with one person and catch this virus, I get a small viral load. My immune system will start to fight it and by the time the virus starts replicating, I’m ready to kill it.

No medicines will help this process meaningfully hence there is no “cure” for this virus. All we can do is support you with a ventilator and hope your immune system can catch up fast enough.
If I sit in the same room with six people, all shedding I get six times the initial dose. The rise in viral load is faster than my immune system can cope with and it is overrun. I then become critically ill and need me (or someone of my specialty) to fix it instead of just being at home and being ok in the end.

THIS BIT IS IMPORTANT:
If you are a large family group, remember that by being ill and in the same room, you will make each other ill or “more ill”. If you get sick, isolate just yourself to one room and stay there. Don’t all sit in one room coughing. You will increase the viral load for all of you, reducing your survival rate.
A family of six people may produce double the droplets of a family of three in the same space. Maths is important.

If one of you is symptomatic, assume you are all shedding and make sure you keep some space.
Parents are getting it from their kids because no one is going to stop comforting their child (nor should they) so the parent gets a big hit as well as the child. I don’t think that can be helped.
REMEMBER: THINK ABOUT VIRAL LOAD
It could save your life or your child’s.

Coventry and Warwickshire - it’s up to you now. We are preparing for the worst but we are hoping for the best from you. Please help us to help you. Stay home and take this seriously now before we need the army on the streets to remind you. Yes I’m serious.
#flattenthecurve

The pressing issue for Mrs Swotty is .... no hairdresser! Doesn't affect me, as I have my short back and sides (no top) trimmed every 3 weeks by a sexy, buxom lady (O.K. it's Mrs Swotty!), but she has the cut and blow dry, tinted, coloured/whatever, every 6 or 8 weeks.

The pressing issue for Mrs KE is .... no income. She’s a self-employed hairdresser. On the plus side, I won’t have any trouble getting booked in for a cut!

I wonder if they’ll be a huge raise in December baby’s born this year? :banana:

The few screwing it up for the many, again...

To all those that were queuing round the block at Tesco, descending on beaches, parks and outdoor spaces in hordes at the weekend: Thanks a fcking bunch!!

Exactly.
When they arrived at the Welsh hills and saw all the others all they had to do was get back in their cars and go home. But no, re-enacting The Human Caterpillar was what they did.

Now BJ, DC, et all believe the rest of us are so lame that after witnessing people being selfish ****holes we will abandon our efforts and do the same. Thanks a fvcking bunch to all of you. If/when you are singled out by the rest of us, don't expect an easy ride. Your actions impact me more than C-19 will but I will still do the right thing for the vulnerable. But unable to do SFA for myself. Crawl home to your 80% of wages and figure how much damage you've done to those without that safeguard. And stay the F away from me.

I went for an early run. Everyone else out seemed to be either another jogger or a delivery van driver.

Anyway, that's me for today. 30 mins of the outside world, crossing the road whenever I saw someone and then home again.

In my lunchbreak I'm going to start on the wiring to support the camelia's + climbing hydrangea's.

Meanwhile the banking sector still has a pulse, albeit a weak one. Prepping for a series of calls this week & next.

I am lucky enough to be working from home but as my wife was made redundant before this crisis there is no way she can get a new job as all the recruitment agents respond with “recruitment is on hold” or just no response as they aren’t working themselves.

On the plus side, I started the long overdue task of painting in the house, so I have that going for me but not sure what I am going to do when I need more paint :/

I will probably start restraining the areas of the fence that have weathered due to the last 6 weeks of crappy/windy/rainy weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am lucky enough to be working from home but as my wife was made redundant before this crisis there is no way she can get a new job as all the recruitment agents respond with “recruitment is on hold” or just no response as they aren’t working themselves.

On the plus side, I started the long overdue task of painting in the house, so I have that going for me but not sure what I am going to do when I need more paint :/

I will probably start restraining the areas of the fence that have weathered due to the last 6 weeks of crappy/windy/rainy weather.

I don't know of course what your lady does but there are a lot of jobs out there. I work for one of the largest retailers in the UK and we are hiring across the board. Pharmacies, delivery companies, even the building trade are going strong.

I don't know of course what your lady does but there are a lot of jobs out there. I work for one of the largest retailers in the UK and we are hiring across the board. Pharmacies, delivery companies, even the building trade are going strong.

Thanks dude, will pass the message on, she is in marketing/digital marketing/copy-writing, but she is still applying like crazy, that is what she is doing during lockdown. (I am thinking about getting back to banning people above me...)

I am going on my usual 30 mile walk, only do it once a day.

Only joking for those easily offended, I will be taking the dog on her usual walk then out in the garden for a bit of grass cutting and bush trimming :devil:

Working , just had an e-mail from my employer that contained my "Critical Worker" letter.

Still rota`d off until next Thursday so cracking on with gardening work until then.

At least going into work will give me a change of scenery , plus it will get me away from the missus for a while to preserve the matrimonial harmony :D

K

Working , just had an e-mail from my employer that contained my "Critical Worker" letter.

K

Also expecting something from my employer today , although I carry enough ID and other items for it not to likely be an issue .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom