What's everyone doing in the lockdown?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
No, not sorry I asked. Thank you so much for such a comprehensive response.

My only regret is that you said the internally beaded units are the easiest to replace. That’s exactly what we have on the condensation filled units, so I’m running out of excuses for not replacing them. But no doubt the high price of new units will offer me some respite! We have 34 internally beaded units of the type that are suffering, and no doubt those that are still ok will also fail in the next few years. How long is this lockdown lasting!

Most common recent DG unit thickness is 28mm (4-20-4) but remove one and measure it before ordering. When measuring H x W knock 10mm off both.

You'll be very happy with replacements. They'll offer a much better thermal value to the room. New units are filled with argon gas plus a K Glass (or other) on the outside. Get them ordered. :thumb:

Most common recent DG unit thickness is 28mm (4-20-4) but remove one and measure it before ordering. When measuring H x W knock 10mm off both.

You'll be very happy with replacements. They'll offer a much better thermal value to the room. New units are filled with argon gas plus a K Glass (or other) on the outside. Get them ordered. :thumb:
Just have to get my wife back earning first!

No, to change DG units requires extreme skill and years of experience. I doubt many people could carry out this task, it's just that I'm particularly awesome. :D

Only joking, it's fairly easy, However there's a few variables. If frames are timber, getting the timber glazing beads out carefully enough to re-use is the first tricky thing to overcome. Then removing old units can be a pest depending on how they've been installed. Some (fools) use putty with is totally wrong and usually the reason why the unit has failed (when the putty sets hard there's no room for the DG unit to expand and contract throughout the seasons). Glazing mastic is available and that allows DG unit to expand/contract without breaking the vacuum. Once you've removed the old unit and cleaned up the frame, fitting the new units is a relatively easy process.

Upvc frames are much less hassle but requires a bit more technique (ie replacing the beads) depending on which type of glazing profile it is. There are mostly 3 different ones.
  • Externally beaded where the DG unit is held in place with double sided glazing tape. (adhered to window frame) Cut tape with a blade, remove beads, removed unit. (new tape is required before installing new unit)
  • Externally beaded where there is a wedge gasket on the inside which MUST be removed before the beads are taken out. (otherwise the beads will just get damaged)
  • Internally beaded (the most modern type) where the beads are removed and the units are taken out inside the house. This type is by far the easiest to install and to replace units.
Bet you're sorry you asked now eh??? :D

P.S. The most common cause for DG units to fail in Upvc frames (in my experience) is poorly fitted units where the glazing packers are supporting BOTH panes of glass. In the extreme heat of Summer one pane 'slides' downwards breaking the vacuum.

Ant you should start a digital business giving advice on such matters, you could do videos and charge advertisers.

I've got those green crystals at the bottom of the sandwich bit, are they old now?

I paid about Eur250-00 (delivered). It was painted in the colour of the car. Got it from the MB used parts shop in Germany. You get various qualities 'A+' (pristine) downwards, mine was A and needed a tiny touch up on the paint and some of the adhesive tape replaced. I believe full retail is about Eur650-00 so I'm happy.
Looks great, I really like a lip spoiler, to my eyes it sharpens the rear end but is almost invisible.

I had a super rare genuine AMG lip spoiler on my C32 AMG and it looked fantastic for it.

No, not sorry I asked. Thank you so much for such a comprehensive response.

My only regret is that you said the internally beaded units are the easiest to replace. That’s exactly what we have on the condensation filled units, so I’m running out of excuses for not replacing them. But no doubt the high price of new units will offer me some respite! We have 34 internally beaded units of the type that are suffering, and no doubt those that are still ok will also fail in the next few years. How long is this lockdown lasting!
34!!??

Yup. And that’s just the windows at the front and one side of the house. There are plenty more of a different type. I’m not quite as keen as Ant when it comes to cleaning them!
If 34 panels have broken down I dread to think how many there are in total!!

If 34 panels have broken down I dread to think how many there are in total!!
We haven’t got a palace! It’s 34 panels that are internally beaded, with about half a dozen failing. All the other DG panels are externally beaded and all fine.

Arrived on site in the city at about 7.30am, cycling in the roads were quite busy but obviously not as busy as usual.
Skanska have made a real effort to organise the job so it can re-open on Tuesday. I’m very impressed.

...P.S. The most common cause for DG units to fail in Upvc frames (in my experience) is poorly fitted units where the glazing packers are not supporting BOTH panes of glass. In the extreme heat of Summer one pane 'slides' downwards breaking the vacuum.

Wish me luck everybody, I’m just about to head off to Tesco for the weekly shop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom