What's everyone listening to ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Quite possibly the best soul singer Britain ever produced--not bad for a guy who started out as a gas fitter from Sheffield JC. :cool:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Wow! Great band too. Saw him live at an outdoor show outside Cincinatti in 1990. Terrific show. Worked many times on tour with the ladies who were Joe's tour caterers. They frequently said Joe was probably the nicest, most down-to-earth artist they ever worked with. I can believe that.

One for any drummers or proud fathers out there

Listening to era at the moment. Makes a change from the usual, but will it turn me into a demonic driver? As we all know, some tracks in the car turn us into mad max or bodecia.

I'm really enjoying Idles at the moment. It makes you drive a bit quick, mind.

Well I have been watching and listening this.

Remembering a very wet ride back to a motor vehicle tech college in Cologne on my then gold Honda 750 four.
It was 1972, and Willy Brandt was slated to be the next chancellor . His posters were everywhere in the Autobahn truckers cafes
I actually took this road from Zandvoort to Cologne, and at one memorable stage passing Duisberg with rain & hail whacking by Barbour suit and Damen leathers underneath like shotgun pellets.

And the rush @ 145 kms/hr ?
To make sure I hooked up with a college sweetheart from Spain before she left for Madrid .
Oh for the love of a woman !
Tuercas viejas

John Hiatt has a history of working with the best slide players - I saw him play live with Ry Cooder at Manchester Apollo and Sonny Landreth was in Hiatt's band at the Olympia in Dublin. Now he's teamed up to record an album with Jerry Douglas. About time!! Doubt we'll see them together on this side of the pond, more's the pity. One for Graeme....

Saw John Hiatt at the Queen's hall in Edinburgh more years ago than I care to remember!
I think Tennessee Plates is my favorite track of his.

Yup, Tennessee plates is one of my favourites too - typical Hiatt humour. Howver my favourite Hiatt song is Lipstick Sunset, which shows his other (more sensitive) lyrical side.

This clip shows the the line-up I saw at the Olympia in Dublin on November 1st 1987 - from the same European tour. How do I remember the date so clearly? It was a rare night off on a Townes Van Zandt UK and European tour (I had the unenviable job of being Townes' tour manager at the time). We were in Dublin, prior to the last night of Townes' tour, having just flown in from a nightmare gig in Holland. Townes had driven me nearly to distraction (a very long story) and I desperately needed some sanity on my night off. I happened to spot that John Hiatt was playing at the Olympia that evening and I remember saying to Townes "You can do what you like tonight, but you can do it without me - I'm going to see this man play". Hiatt gave a great performance and Sonny Landreth was a superb stand-in for Ry Cooder, who'd played slide on the original album track 'Bring The Family'. Sorry to be so long-winded!

Yup, Tennessee plates is one of my favourites too - typical Hiatt humour. Howver my favourite Hiatt song is Lipstick Sunset, which shows his other (more sensitive) lyrical side.

This clip shows the the line-up I saw at the Olympia in Dublin on November 1st 1987 - from the same European tour. How do I remember the date so clearly? It was a rare night off on a Townes Van Zandt UK and European tour (I had the unenviable job of being Townes' tour manager at the time). We were in Dublin, prior to the last night of Townes' tour, having just flown in from a nightmare gig in Holland. Townes had driven me nearly to distraction (a very long story) and I desperately needed some sanity on my night off. I happened to spot that John Hiatt was playing at the Olympia that evening and I remember saying to Townes "You can do what you like tonight, but you can do it without me - I'm going to see this man play". Hiatt gave a great performance and Sonny Landreth was a superb stand-in for Ry Cooder, who'd played slide on the original album track 'Bring The Family'. Sorry to be so long-winded!
I was fortunate enough to see Townes on his last UK tour few months before his untimely death. The gig was in a small theatre which was part of Perth library. Was organised by two brothers from Goldrush Records who organised/promoted many small-scale live performances of American artists such as Joe Eley, Jessie guitar Taylor, David Halley and many others. Despite playing to relatively small but enthusiastic audiences-- 50-100 was a good turnout! I was always impressed by how professional their performances were. Townes had his demons of course and you could tell he was not a well man back then. RIP.
Not many realised how many of his songs were covered by the country greats and he was held in great respect------Here's two of them---TOWNES himself plays several small parts in this video

Last edited:
Good to know you got the chance to see Townes play, Graeme. On that 1987 tour he gave two performances that will forever stand out in my mind. One was the worst of any artist I've ever worked with (and that's a lot!) - and the other was possibly the most spellbinding - all within the same week. I think Townes aged me by ten years on that tour. Unlike Guy Clark, who I was fortunate enough to tour manage on two UK and Irish tours. Consistently brilliant, a gentleman, hugely professional - and ironically, Townes' best pal. Guy always included Joe Ely's song "Indian Cowboy" in his set.

If you haven't seen this, it's well worth a watch.

I was fortunate enough to see Townes on his last UK tour few months before his untimely death. The gig was in a small theatre which was part of Perth library. Was organised by two brothers from Goldrush Records who organised/promoted many small-scale live performances of American artists such as Joe Eley, Jessie guitar Taylor, David Halley and many others. Despite playing to relatively small but enthusiastic audiences-- 50-100 was a good turnout! I was always impressed by how professional their performances were. Townes had his demons of course and you could tell he was not a well man back then. RIP.
Not many realised how many of his songs were covered by the country greats and he was held in great respect------Here's two of them---TOWNES himself plays several small parts in this video

Grober
Funny you should post a video of Willy Nelson.
I was talking to my eldest son over the weekend who lives in Twickenham, reminding him of when he was just a few months old and squawked almost 24/7 .
The only thing that would shut him up, was this by Willy Nelson.
Rocking the little devil to sleep at Granny's house in Denver .
Cheers Tuercas Viejas

Sheryl Crow Performs "You Don't Know How It Feels" in Tribute to Tom Petty +some surreal video editing.​

This time of night can't beat a shot of Alan Jackson

Alternative music for late in the evening - I watched the entire concert on TV last night. Ourstanding in every way!

My door is open on this issue, I think you need to action plan your proposal and then reflect upon your initial pre plan. Take a look outside the box before you dive into this one though, there could be a heavy storm for you to ride out.
...........going forward like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom