What's good for getting oil off block paving?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BTB 500

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
R129 SL500, W639 Vito 120, S205 C300
Noticed today that Mrs BTB's old Audi has been dripping engine oil onto our block-paved drive :(

Any suggestions for shifting it (the oil, not the Audi :D)?

Got a piece of old carpet down now till I can get the leak sorted.

TIA :)

Various products on the market I'm sure. Maybe de-greaser or traffic film remover are the first things that spring to mind.

More importantly though, if you are going to pressure wash a block paved drive you must not drive on it until you have replaced the silica sand that will be flushed out from between the blocks by the water pressure.

The silica sand is in between the blocks to prevent weeds etc from growing in between the blocks and also stabilises the set up.

You can only really replace the sand when the drive is bone-dry.

Get the sand and put it on the drive and distribute it between the blocks with a clean soft sweeping brush - The sand will fall down in between the blocks.

At a former house, I had a lovely level block paved driveway, until I pressure washed it and didn't replace the silica sand... :eek::rolleyes:

Last edited:
Noticed today that Mrs BTB's old Audi has been dripping engine oil onto our block-paved drive :(

Any suggestions for shifting it (the oil, not the Audi :D)?

Got a piece of old carpet down now till I can get the leak sorted.

TIA :)

How big an area is it?

If cleaning doesn't work, you could lift the affected blocks and turn them over :)

Will

You could try putting down builders sand or similar and scrubbing this into the surface - hopefully the sand will absorb the oil. Clean up the sand and then use a brush and some detergent and then hose off.

I bought a tin of driveway cleaner after a spillage when doing an oil change . Worked quite well .

I can't remember the make , but it came from B&Q .

Cat litter dumped on the area in question and left for as long as possible will help.
Sunny, dry weather is best. Dont do it when its windy or looks like rain ! ! ! !

CHEAP WAY, Scrub affected area with petrol,then rescrub with strong mix of washing up liquid, lightly rinse with watering can, cant GUARANTEE perfection, but thats what i do, & we've all got petrol & washing up liquid, so no extra expense ! (bit of scot in me)

Many thanks guys - will have a play.

You wont get it out completely once it has soaked right in. Best thing is to replace the affected blocks. Its the same with Tarmac.

There is a product called G101 fromm AutoSmart. It is excellent at this type of job.

I used some Gunk Driveway Cleaner but it was not nearly as effective (and as cheap) as washing up liquid. A bit of elbow grease with a scrubber and bob's your uncle!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom