Whats happened here?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

c63chris

MB Enthusiast
Car
SL63 + BMW 335d Touring
Went to wash my car, hadnt done it for a while and found this :eek: Had noticed the edges were wearing but not this bad. Is the mark just wear or has it hit something that has cut the tyre? Have ordered new tyres but thinking the alignment needs checking too?

Attachments

• IMG_0527.JPG
    IMG_0527.JPG
    21.2 KB · Views: 155
Edge of tread worn through to the underlying textile plies. That's an extremely dangerous tyre and illegal. Suggestive of misalignment incorrect inflation or a suspension problem. If the police stop you you will be done! Get a full suspension check.

It's hard to see from the picture, but it looks as though the rubber has scrubbed off and the inner cords are showing through, making it both illegal and dangerous.
Get the wheel alignment and geometry checked when you have the new tyres fitted.
If it is the inner cords showing through, it's an instant fine and penalty points offence.

Edit: I see grober beat me to it, while I was typing. lol

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. Looked unsafe so will be using my other car, Ka,until tyres arrive on Weds. Are Mercs bad for wearing the outer edge or does this look like alignment?

Thanks for the replies. Looked unsafe so will be using my other car, Ka,until tyres arrive on Weds. Are Mercs bad for wearing the outer edge or does this look like alignment?
My old '98 C240 was forever wearing out the outer edges of its front tyres. All the various tyre fitters I'd visited all said that was standard for Mercs. They do have a very tight turning circle. My rear tyres always wore perfectly evenly, it was only the fronts that chewed the outer edges.

Too early to tell how my current car will behave.

S.

My old '98 C240 was forever wearing out the outer edges of its front tyres. All the various tyre fitters I'd visited all said that was standard for Mercs. They do have a very tight turning circle. My rear tyres always wore perfectly evenly, it was only the fronts that chewed the outer edges.

Too early to tell how my current car will behave.

S.
Apparently the wider rear option on the CLS is prone to wearing the inner edges of the tyres, on mine with the standard widths when the rears needed replacing they were evenly worn across the tread.

I think the GE/AMG set up needs regular inspection of the rear inner edges.

Our V6 Vito wears the outside edge off the front tyres ... has done it from new. The SL doesn't though :dk:

David,

Many thanks for the insight! :)

S.

Watching a Mercedes being driven into a tight parking spot at speed with the front's scrubbing always makes me wince. I try and be much more careful with mine - just because they've got a tight lock you don't have to use it!

The wear looks very confined. If this is the case then it's probable camber is the issue?

Agree with that - mine wore the outside edges of the fronts's due to a lot of excess toe-in, but it was a wider band than that.

Getting tyres fitted on Weds and using my other car in the interim. Have it's booked into my dealer on Friday to have the alignment checked. Agreed £220, is this reasonable for a main dealer?

DCphoenix said:
Looks to me like – too heavy late breaking going into lefthanders...Lol......;)

LOL has been driven hard but not just into left handlers:).

This is classic worn bottom balljoint.
Forget tracking adjustment until you've eliminated the worn component - they can track it 'til Kingdom come, it's not gunna make a shredded-wheat of difference.

Getting tyres fitted on Weds and using my other car in the interim. Have it's booked into my dealer on Friday to have the alignment checked. Agreed £220, is this reasonable for a main dealer?

Forget the main dealer take it to Tony at WIM if you want it doing right :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom