whats it like on the iow

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

coupe deville

Car
93 E320 coupe sportline facelift
going to the iow tomorrow for 5 days. 500 miles round trip from up here in the frozen north.
fuel cost
could go in the combo van for zilch or in the coupe for £100. no contest :)
will be setting off around 10.30 to pass silverstone around noon when all the gp traffic should be out of the way and should get to our overnight stay at the portsmouth travel lodge in plenty of time to watch the gp highlights on bbc 3 at 7 o clock
my barber told me yesterday that there are no speed limits on the iow but I think he's wrong on that one :confused:

Yes there are speed limits on the IoW.

It's a nice island, a mixture of tacky seaside resort in places, secluded sandy beaches, rolling green countryside.

I can recommend Carisbrooke Castle, Cowes, Sandown beach, St Catherines lighthouse.

Isle of Wight is fine, not sure about Portsmouth though;)

The Dazzlers really like the Isle of Wight. We go down a couple of times a year.

Favourite place is Ventnor. Definitely worth a visit to go to The Spyglass Inn, great food and wonderful view over the sea and beach.

In fact we went there just for my birthday dinner one year, driving down from the Midlands. Not quite the same in January, but still worth the trip!!

If you enjoy driving - and it sounds like you do - head West out of Ventnor, and stick to the coast road, following signs to Blackgang Chine. Once past Blackgang Chine - heading towards Freshwater - the views out to sea are stunning and it's a great road to drive.

Have a great time...

Bobby Dazzler;1008080If you enjoy driving - and it sounds like you do - head West out of Ventnor said:
staying in shanklin which is near ventnor and plan to do the whole coast road. ive even downloaded a voucher from the official website :eek: that allows me to get fish chips and peas for 2 for £7.50 at "The Needles" park, reduced from £11.50. thats nearly a gallon of petrol.:thumb:
how tight am i ;)

The road from Shanklin to Ventnor is a great road too - more great views, but with more twists and turns. That road is not long enough though!!

I really like the IoW, been there a few times. The thing that really gets my goat is the cost of the car ferry, it's outrageous!

I really like the IoW, been there a few times. The thing that really gets my goat is the cost of the car ferry, it's outrageous!

It's the most expensive strip of water to cross on the planet, based on a per mile cost.

I once sent two containers to the IoW, it cost more to move it from Portsmouth to IoW than it did to ship it to the UK from Israel.

If it was viable for a 500m bridge to the Isle of Skye for a population of 2000, is there not a business case for a 2000m bridge to the IoW for a population of more than 100,000?

Wasnt the IOW was the home of the british space agency? im only a few miles from the red funnel ferry port and yet ive only been to the IOW once! Very nice county side and some great resturants. have fun!

If it was viable for a 500m bridge to the Isle of Skye for a population of 2000, is there not a business case for a 2000m bridge to the IoW for a population of more than 100,000?

Probably but when i've raised enough money i'm going to swap the population of Portmuff with that of the IOW and then carpet bomb the island, sounds extreme but it's best for the majority of the UK population (except tacky gold jewellery shop staff, **** tattooists, professional wannabe cockneys, chav's, DSS staff and all other pondscum). You'll thank me later:rolleyes:

I think the ferry is about £80 return......or £20's worth of Tesco Clubcard Vouchers.

will be setting off around 10.30 to pass silverstone around noon when all the gp traffic should be out of the way

Too late now but I hope you didn't try to pass Silverstone - the road is closed to through traffic!

The ferry is indeed very expensive. With a twin axle caravan it's about £180 in peak season. Incredibly though you can get a ferry crossing with caravan pitch fees included for £130 providing you book through Red Funnel, and stay for exactly 5 nights, which is what we tend to do these days. Bargain!! :confused:

We're back, 600 miles on the clock, 27 mpg
car never missed a beat :thumb: quiet, powerful, smooth, arrow like on the straight bits and felt well planted on the twisty bits, what great roads the A43 and A34 were on the way down.
yes we by-passed silverstone due to the gp and the ferry was £77 return booked online in advance, instead of £180 if you just turn up :eek:
iow is ok, it rained a bit but was never cold.
my barber was wrong about the speed limits, which are just like on the mainland, with a good sprinkling of gatsos and truvelos but as i dont exceed the speed limits in built up areas they weren't an issue, but i did give it the beans down to the needles on the quiet coast road. [ its surprising what a difference 100 mph feels like on a narrow country road as opposed to a motorway]
journey back on friday afternoon was a back to reality check with a stop/start crawl on the M1 all the way from Leicester to South Yorkshire :doh:
What other vehicle could provide this much style and comfort for so little money ? answer --- none :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom