What's It Worth - E320 diesel?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

E55BOF

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
CLS63 SB, SLK55, Cooper S, Triumph Sprint (Bike not Dolly...),
Boris the Bounce's Peugeot has persuaded me of the virtues of modern diesels - plenty of torque in just the right place in the rev range for how I drive - and another E55K estate is no longer the Holy Grail it was; maybe I'm growing up at last... (and anyway, the chances of a (another) Tanzanite blue one coming up for sale are probably remote.)

I'm not even so sure I wouldn't have a silver or black one now; the Pug is black, and that looks OK, even with the heavily-tinted rear windows.

I'm looking at a 2005 S211 320CDI V6, on just under 90K miles, fairly basic spec but with my few must-haves (COMAND and parking sensors). There is a possible snag, though (isn't there always...); a six-year gap in the MoT history, and a 30K miles gap in the service history. It may have been serviced in that time; it may not. Judging by the driver's seat outer bolster, the mileage is probably correct.

The owner's son has recently driven it back from Spain, where it's been languishing with little use, and states it ran perfectly (well, he would, wouldn't he?). It passed its UK MoT earlier this month with no advisories.

Some people would say I have a predilection for mechanical waifs and strays, and I'm tempted by this car, if it genuinely runs perfectly.

It will have SBC, but that doesn't worry me. It doesn't have Airmatic.

Two questions, if I may. Firstly, does the V6 diesel engine suffer from the same balancer shaft woes as the V6 petrols of that era?

And secondly, what does the forum think would be a fair price to pay for it, bearing in mind the MoT and service history gap?

All right, three questions. Thirdly, am I totally barking to even consider it?

Last edited:
a six-year gap in the MoT history,

a 30K miles gap in the service history.

where it's been languishing with little use
Too many red flags there Dennis.
Some people would say I have a predilection for mechanical waifs and strays, and I'm tempted by this car
If you ignore the above red flags, some people might be correct!

I'd look for a 2008/09 E320 CDI Sport and stick a Brabus box on; 275bhp and 50mpg.

Too many red flags there Dennis.

If you ignore the above red flags, some people might be correct!

You only answered the third question...

And even then, I'm not so sure. Rather depends on the price; WBAC reckon £3260 unseen (minus £100 for a slight scrape, minus their rip-off £50 fee for doing business with you...), and for that sort of money it might be worth a punt.

Last edited:
You only answered the third question...

The early V6 CDI suffered with turbo problems due to a leaking seal (if you do a forum search it'll show up, it's very common)

What model is it, Sport or Avantgarde?

I'd look for a 2008/09 E320 CDI Sport and stick a Brabus box on; 275bhp and 50mpg.

I think I'd prefer to go to Pendle Performance in Barnoldswick; I was hugely impressed with the proprietor when I met him recently, and the company has a very good reputation, and a damn sight cheaper than Brabus too.

The early V6 CDI suffered with turbo problems due to a leaking seal (if you do a forum search it'll show up, it's very common)

What model is it, Sport or Avantgarde?

It's an Avantgarde, but has the Sport suspension.

I think I'd prefer to go to Pendle Performance in Barnoldswick; I was hugely impressed with the proprietor when I met him recently, and the company has a very good reputation, and a damn sight cheaper than Brabus too.

I paid £200 for my second hand Brabus box, and I'd rather spend that (or up to £500) on something that's been 100% designed for my engine that a remap.

Wait a bit?
There will be far more sellers than buyers for old diesels.
= bargains.

And I've a D6 box... which puts it right up with a 210 E55 on the Newton Meters.

Last edited:
I'm looking at a 2005 S211 320CDI V6, on just under 90K miles, fairly basic spec but with my few must-haves (COMAND and parking sensors).

It will have SBC, but that doesn't worry me. It doesn't have Airmatic.

Being an estate it will have airmatic at the rear axle. This is done to keep the ride height normal even at full load.

Won't it be hydropneumatic SLS at the back if the car is on standard springs ?

Presuming the car has been kept and used abroad for the six years then I wouldn't expect any MOTs to have been carried out so not in any way a negative , but presumably there is something similar in Spain and there might be evidence of that ?

All the estates had self-levelling rear suspension; the AMGs had airmatic as standard, but that's not the same thing.

I'm assured that it has been serviced regularly while abroad, but there's no actual evidence of any of its history, service or otherwise, while out of the UK. I don't think it has been, but it could have been thrashed and clocked, or have been an insurance write-off, for all I know. It's the lack of any mileage evidence whatsoever that is the negative.

I'm still tempted...

I paid £200 for my second hand Brabus box, and I'd rather spend that (or up to £500) on something that's been 100% designed for my engine that a remap.

100% designed for the generic 320 CDI engine, agreed, but to get the best results for a particular engine, the general feeling seems to be that a remap with a rolling road session is best; effectively a custom remap for the engine in the car being tuned.

I'm not questioning or impugning Brabus' quality in any way, but I can see the force of that argument. It's a more elegant engineering solution, too, than an add-on modifying the signals coming out of the ECU.

In Spain they have an I T V, "Inspeccion Technica Vehiculos" which is similar to our M O T, once a vehicle is four years old it has to have this test. Between four and ten years old it is tested once every TWO years, at ten years old vehicles have to be ITV'd yearly.

Though it does affect the price, I'm not too bothered by the gap in the MoT history, and judging by the condition of the driver's seat bolster, the mileage is probably genuine. I've had three petrol S211s (and an S210), and in general terms I'm fairly confident of telling a decent one from a dud, but I've never had a diesel. It's the lack of service history that bothers me, and the potential cost of the turbo seal issue if it does crop up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom