Whats it worth?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

M3 SHAM

Car
2005 C180K Avantgarde SE (Sports Pack)
Hi Guys just trying to get an idea on what my 2005 Mercedees might be worth as a private sale? Apolagies for the question first of all as i know people will say 'its worth what its worth to you etc...' but with the mileage it has i'm struggling to compare it to anything i can see on autotrader etc. So vehicle details are:

05/05 Merc C180 Kompressor Avantagarde SE (Sports Pack)
4dr Saloon (facelift model)
Metallic Black Green
6 Speed Manual
Full black leather
Original Sports 17inch alloys
Original Sports uprated breaks/exthaust/suspension
Excellent original condition
157,000 miles with FSH

Many thanks.

Despite the fact that that sort of mileage is not an issue on a well-maintained car, some people still perceive it as an issue.

However, it is still a prestige car.

I think all you can do is compare it to the closest thing you can find and start with that.

If you drop the price of yours below that, what does it compare against i.e. what is the next cheapest car?

Then ask yourself what would you prefer given the choice?

You will get to a price you are happy with and then see what interest there is.

All I do know is the market is tough at the moment, so set your expectations bearing this in mind...

Condition is the most important factor, high mileage does cause a problem with the valuation guides.

The Glass's guide valuation on the Network Q website is quite useful.
Value Your Car - Network Q

With the headline information you provided, they came back with this caveat:

"Please note: Unfortunately, we don't have a valuation for the requested mileage. However, we can value this car at 150,000 miles."

However, you're only 7k miles over this, so this could be reasonably relevant.

2005/05 C180 Kompressor Avantgarde with Sport Pack

Part-exchange Price:
Excellent condition: £3670
Average condition: £3330
Below average condition: £2960

In contrast, a C180 Kompressor Avantgarde SE would be:
Part-exchange Price:
Excellent condition: £3220
Average condition: £2920
Below average condition: £2590

Hope that helps...

Sounds about in-line, I was offered £3600 for it as a part-ex but was wondering what it might fetch if I was to put it on auto trader or similar. The intresting thing here is for argument sake if I was to sell it for say £4000 private, I would have to pay a lot more than that to buy something similar :dk:

I would say try £4,000 but to be honest I doubt that it would be easy to sell in the current climate for at that price.

I'm sure it's a great car, £3,600 for a no hassle trade doesn't sound too bad considering it's a manual too.

Yes, I'd definitely take that trade-in for the sake of £400. Trying to sell it yourself is at the moment is a royal pain in the ****.

Although depending on what you are changing too, they are probably giving you £2000 and the rest off the sticker price.

So you could negotiate that amount off and still sell the car for £3000.

However, there are no guarantees and I tried this route myself. After a lot of pain, I was £500 up then where I would have been otherwise.

Wasn't worth it.

Thanks for your input guys. I have decided not to sell the car as to be honest it is just too good to sell for even 4k. Even though it has 157,000 miles on the clock it looks like a car that done 60,000 miles. It has never gone wrong and has been the most reliable car I have ever owned. The thing that I cant get out of my head is the fact that a low mileage example say 30,000 miles are still up for around 8-9k?? They are no different looking that mine minus a couple of extra digits on the display ;) I shall keep this as my daily runner, the hunt is now on for my weekend car. :thumb:

They are no different looking that mine minus a couple of extra digits on the display ;)

And the associated 120k of wear and tear, naturally. Some of that will be merely perception, some will be tangible.

And the associated 120k of wear and tear, naturally. Some of that will be merely perception, some will be tangible.

This is true, i was thinking on my way into work today the interior of the vehicle is in excellent condition leather is free from significant wear and tear, no scratches to the interior and nothing significant on the exterior. No knocking or other obvious signs of high miles and if the odometer was showing 60,000 miles, if i did not know any better judging from condition and drive i would have thought it was true

Id take the trade in price... It Saves alot of faffing around....

As stated above I have decided to keep the car.... just too good a car to sell for around the 4k mark. The fact that anyone else who is looking at it (who can't see the speedo :rolleyes:) would think it proberbly worth about 8k is just a bonus :thumb:

This is true, i was thinking on my way into work today the interior of the vehicle is in excellent condition leather is free from significant wear and tear, no scratches to the interior and nothing significant on the exterior. No knocking or other obvious signs of high miles and if the odometer was showing 60,000 miles, if i did not know any better judging from condition and drive i would have thought it was true

On the appearance front, you are absolutely correct.

It's the dynamic areas that suffer with miles, things like dampers and bushes will often start to feel a little sloppy at this point and generally it's not as tight as it used to be. However, because it's a gradual change over time and we are used to our cars it mostly goes unnoticed until something fails or deteriorates suddenly. But the signs are always there.

On the appearance front, you are absolutely correct.

It's the dynamic areas that suffer with miles, things like dampers and bushes will often start to feel a little sloppy at this point and generally it's not as tight as it used to be. However, because it's a gradual change over time and we are used to our cars it mostly goes unnoticed until something fails or deteriorates suddenly. But the signs are always there.

Agreed but with the mileage of the car being 95% motorway miles I wonder how different it would be to the same car with half the mileage which has primerilly been driven in city?

I know when i compare it to my friends 54plate C200 which has 70,000ish on the clock and has been used as a family run around in city mainly, we both agree mine feels tighter and quieter (especially the suspension)

Last edited:
Under those circumstances I would expect both to feel sloppy, as neither has had what one would call "average" usage. City streets and speedbumps are hard on the chassis.

You just have to use all the signs to work out the past the car has had.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom