Whats more economical.. Driving in C or S mode?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mbstarz

Car
Mercedes c220 cdi sport
As title states...

Which is best around town? I don't thrash the car by the way!

C mode seems a bit sluggish to me at times but is it saving me any pennies?!

Good question I have wondered this also I like to keep it in S mode but always wonderednwhat yhe mpg sacrifice is

Tried it in both on many occasions, not the slightest difference in MPG figures.

Russ

I suspect,when driving around town,there will be a lot more gear selection,so I think 'c' mode is actually better suited to cruising on motorways etc - whilst 's' mode better suits lower gear selections in town driving - I think the 's' mode selects a lower gear for better/quicker acceleration,but I am sure an expert member will be along soon an give a definitive answer - but yes - I suspect 's' mode is probably more efficient around town.

Im no expert but c mode selects 2nd gear and s mode selects 1st gear, no idea on economy benefits but I would think it wouldn't be noticeable.

I just leave mine in S mode fwiw.

Tried it in both over a number of week . Made bugger all difference...

Same with and without a/c no difference.

Your driving style, driving conditions and route will be the determining factors.

I think I will leave it in s mode. Much better drive I think

When I bought my previous Merc from a main dealer, the salesman told me S meant 'summer mode'! Shows how much he knew. Personally, I have found no discernible consumption difference between the modes but I do find S much more responsive. So my car stays in S.

When I bought my previous Merc from a main dealer, the salesman told me S meant 'summer mode'! Shows how much he knew. Personally, I have found no discernible consumption difference between the modes but I do find S much more responsive. So my car stays in S.

Dependant on the model he might have been telling the truth.

From memory, at different times the 'S' has stood for "Summer", "Standard" and "Sport".

The 'W' meant "Winter" (Set off in second gear)

The 'C' meant "Comfort" (Set off in second gear)

A lot of people have assumed the 'S' stood for "Sport" bit that's only really been the case in recent years.

Dependant on the model he might have been telling the truth.

From memory, at different times the 'S' has stood for "Summer", "Standard" and "Sport".

The 'W' meant "Winter" (Set off in second gear)

The 'C' meant "Comfort" (Set off in second gear)

A lot of people have assumed the 'S' stood for "Sport" bit that's only really been the case in recent years.

That's interesting and new to me, thanks. He was a veteran - probably nearing retirement - so would be versed in the older terms. I may have maligned him a bit but the model was a 2009 W245 and S definitely meant 'sport' in this case.

As SPX says it depends on the model. On my A45 C is more economical as in S mode it will rarely use 7th and hangs on to the gears which is what you want when pressing on but no good for economy.

Not sure about differences in economy between S, C or M but C selects 2nd gear for setting off and also uses a different reverse gear too, you can still select 1st with the paddles if you want. S uses 1st gear for setting off and holds the gears longer.

There's more about it here:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_7G-Tronic_transmission

I always drive in C and let the box do its own thing, I don't worry about consumption, you can't really with a C63 I suppose.

In economy terms there's no real difference.

I did a test recently and whether in Controlled or Sport I managed to get into double figures.

Conclusive :D

developer said:
In economy terms there's no real difference. I did a test recently and whether in Controlled or Sport I managed to get into double figures. Conclusive :D

You poor devil, did the garage kiosk attendant miss you that day then, or did you make up for it for the rest of the week?

Yes indeed but the most important thing to remember is that D is for daytime and N For nighttime! Although my car always looses drive in the night time still havent got tonthe root cause lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom