What's stored in Mercedes Digital Service History?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rob77

MB Enthusiast
Car
1990 W201 2.6 Sportline; 2011 S204 C350 CDI Sport; 1978 Foale/Suzuki GS750; 1994 Aprilia Pegaso 650
I've just had the oil cooler (and other) seals replaced on my C350 CDI by an independent. Should this work be stored in the car's digital service history or does it just store basic service history?

It only stores service work (oil/air filters/gearbox oil etc) and brake discs and pads.

It only stores service work (oil/air filters/gearbox oil etc) and brake discs and pads.

Thanks, that's what the garage said but I thought it sounded weird. It would seem to me to be a good idea for it to store all work done, especially expensive (and hidden) jobs, so it would be clear to anyone checking in the future.

^ As long as you keep the invoices for the work done, a full history can be kept updated.
If you think about it, repair work isn't a part of a service, hence not including it on the digital record.

Unlike the Lexus digital service record which shows every visit to the service dept, down to the purchase of touch-up paint!

^ As long as you keep the invoices for the work done, a full history can be kept updated.
If you think about it, repair work isn't a part of a service, hence not including it on the digital record.

Whether it's a repair or not, considering what it cost to fix, I'd like to see it recorded for posterity.

Sure, I have an invoice but these can get lost over the years.

Thanks, that's what the garage said but I thought it sounded weird. It would seem to me to be a good idea for it to store all work done, especially expensive (and hidden) jobs, so it would be clear to anyone checking in the future.

I think it would be great if you could store PDF's of invoices on there for as you say, work that has been done other than servicing. Especially something as big as oil coolers as its a huge selling point if they have been done already!

Natacha

Repairs info is stored locally at the dealer, and you can ask for a printout.

Which is OK if the car has only ever been serviced and repaired by one dealer... but not so great if the car had several previous owners and you have to contact each and every dealer and ask, in order to put together the puzzle of the car's service and repairs history.

Another bugbear of mine is that when dealers carry-on warranty repairs, they do not give you anything written showing what work has been done. So the car may have a 'hidden' history, even if you are in possession of all the bills.

Problem with the Mercedes DSB sometimes is that they just dont enter what has been done.

Example, last year servicing a C class we did brake pads and discs. This was entered into the DSB and shows on the history.
Same for one of our E classes, pads/discs changed and shows on DSB as we entered it.

I've had similar jobs done at main dealer and they just dont bother entering it!

Another bugbear of mine is that when dealers carry-on warranty repairs, they do not give you anything written showing what work has been done. So the car may have a 'hidden' history, even if you are in possession of all the bills.

I agree with this; I can remember (years ago, car now long gone) having a lengthy discussion with my 'service manager', or whatever his title was, advising me that, in addition to being serviced, 'it's been fixed under warranty'. However, he point blank refused to say what they'd done, or give me any paperwork. Eventually, having made the point that it was my car, not theirs, and I wanted to know what they'd done to my car, he relented and advised that they'd replaced one injector (I'd reported the car being noisy). Their attitude really annoyed me and left a bad feeling, which isn't what you want when you're paying exorbitant dealer labour rates. I didn't receive any paperwork either.

As we are enthusiasts, we would be more than happy to have repairs, warranty work and servicing shown on dsb.
However, Joe Bloggs with no car knowledge may walk into a dealership and see that a car has had this, that and the other done, and think I’m not buying that! Had too much done so it’s a dud.

As we are enthusiasts, we would be more than happy to have repairs, warranty work and servicing shown on dsb.
However, Joe Bloggs with no car knowledge may walk into a dealership and see that a car has had this, that and the other done, and think I’m not buying that! Had too much done so it’s a dud.

Possibly, but I still want to know what work has been carried out and when. As well as forming a record of all the work, it's also needed for warranty purposes. If I spend money replacing or repairing something, I don't want to pay again because it wasn't done right (or at all) the first time.

Agreed, a timeline of a recurring fault is good to have. Service managers often listen to customer concerns, and don’t pass it on to the service technician. This is probably just laziness. This is especially true of warranty issues.
If I have an issue always list the fault history with action taken. Leave a copy in the car for the technician to see. And another with the service manager.
They probably think it’s just a fussy old guy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom