Whats the appeal of a Merc?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robertall

Car
Morris 8 Ser. E + MB E320
I brought last week a Merc 320 CDI (2001). I will be picking it up on the 5/6 Jan. The 194bhp/470NM model.

I don't like mercs generally (well, not yet anyway). I wanted a large economical diesel estate car with a tow bar. I like the idea of a BMW but they are smaller inside, ive had a volvo before, but wanted something different.

My test drive, i thought, smooth, comfortable, fast (compared to the pug 307 1.6 hdi).

So...yes, whats the appeal for the rest of the people here? I didn't buy a merc because of the badge, but i know if i like it in the long term, i will keep it.

Smooth, comfortable, fast-ish, handles well, soaks up miles, quiet, overall cheap to run, soaks up road imperfections.

A 210 is a competent car.

Smooth, comfortable, fast-ish, handles well, soaks up miles, quiet, overall cheap to run, soaks up road imperfections.

A 210 is a competent car.

Mine:

Smooth, comfortable, very fast, handles great, soaks up miles, loud (in a good way), overall very expensive to run, sucks up and spits out most other things.

An E63 wagon is a competent but rare car, with monumental first couple of years depreciation...

Love it :thumb:.

Mine:

Smooth, comfortable, very fast, handles great, soaks up miles, loud (in a good way), overall very expensive to run, sucks up and spits out Fuel.

Nicknamed...The Wallet Emptier.

I brought last week a Merc 320 CDI (2001). I will be picking it up on the 5/6 Jan. The 194bhp/470NM model.

I don't like mercs generally (well, not yet anyway). I wanted a large economical diesel estate car with a tow bar. I like the idea of a BMW but they are smaller inside, ive had a volvo before, but wanted something different.

My test drive, i thought, smooth, comfortable, fast (compared to the pug 307 1.6 hdi).

So...yes, whats the appeal for the rest of the people here? I didn't buy a merc because of the badge, but i know if i like it in the long term, i will keep it.

Where did you bring it?

I needed 7x seats and something fast, ain't many 500bhp cars with 7 seats without resorting to a mpv

Hi & welcome. We've got three:

SL - 5.0 V8 in a convertible
Vito - 3.0 V6 in a van
C Class - 2.5 V6 in a small-ish estate

:thumb:

Answer you own question in 6 months time, Merc ownership is something you just get after a while.

Maybe not so much with the newer models as they are getting more and more like other marques, but you will with the S210 E Class you have bought as it is Merc through and through.

When I joined this forum I used to think everyone was really insular and ignorant to other brands like BMW, but then realised that many were just dismissive as they didn't really care about anything else but Mercs for a good reason.

Enjoy!

I've had many many different cars, mostly old. When I got into new cars, it was BMW all the way, the brand, the experience, the sale and aftersales, the design, the idrive, living in Munich...

Haven't had that yet with Merc, but I chose a c63 estate because it's German, it's not an Audi, it's RWD, and well BMW don't make an equivalent. It sounds great, will soon be a thing of the past, and will keep me going until I can afford a f10 M5 (I had an e60 M5). In that time I may find Mercs in general are great, or I may not but one thing for sure is I like the car that I have.

I thought mine was a w210? Or is it S210? I have an estate model with the str8 6 3.2 diesel.

I guess time will tell

I thought mine was a w210? Or is it S210? I have an estate model with the str8 6 3.2 diesel.

I guess time will tell

It's a 210, W for saloon and S for estate. Though we don't get too precious about it.

For me it is:
1. Look. Not many cars look as good as black W210.
2. Interior. W210 is comfortably big and has that touch of luxury that I do not see feel in other cars.

The bad points:
1. Reliability. Nowhere near as Mercedes before 1990s. Nowhere near to Lexus and the like.
2. Rust. Many W210 are worse then even budget rubbish brands of cars as far as rust is concerned.
3. Newer E-class is actually smaller and lost its classical look.

Overall If Lexus had GS in diesel I would definitely go for that, but petrol is too expensive...and their hybrid ... I just don't get it .... why so much work and complication and expense to get economy similar to a simple diesel engine....

I have an s210, and despite a aa callout today really like it.

I am at 150k going to retire it from towing duties.

Just gets on with the job with no hassle ...

What's not to like about this?

Still looking good after 24 years and 200,000 + miles - no engine or gearbox rebuilds.

Sold last year after 6 years and 75k miles of daily use. Good for the next 24 years and another 200k miles.

Too small, not an estate.... Other than those, nothing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom