What's the best code reader for the whole car under £100?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tim.100

Car
202&463
Hello,

I have a check engine light on the 2013 W463 and need to reset the service loght on the 1997 W202.

I have had a look at some old threads and it seems that:
- the cheapest solutions (generic OBD readers for £10) are limited to engine only
- The iCarsoft 980 is OK
- Some Autel devices are great but cost £150 and up
- Dodgy STAR clones are best avoided.

I would like to to use a PC/ iPad solution, so as not to buy more gadgets than necessary.

There is an IoS app called myCarly which promises everything if I spend $30 on hardware and $50 on software. However there are no reviews.

A Polish company does a product called MaxiEcu which is on budget and does the whole car (most of the major systems at least). A single review on Pistonheads says it is rubbish.

Has anyone experiences with myCarly or MaxiEcu to share?

I know I'll need an adaptor for the 35pin socket on the W202.

Thanks!

I had an Autel which cost about £60 and recently bought the Icarsoft i980 which for the money is , I think a good buy...

Search youtube. Theres a load of service reset videos on there. You do it on the dash buttons if memory serves, i did mine after i serviced it last year.

I have had a look at some old threads and it seems that:

- Dodgy STAR clones are best avoided.

I would disagree. Seems out of your price range quoted however I would say that if you can buy one with decent hardware (the MUX is of main importance) then a STAR clone will out perform any diagnostic machine on a MB. I personally think anyone who does their own repairs should invest in one, or at least something that will read all body/chassis/gearbox codes as well as engine.

For what you are looking for (from your first post) the iCarsoft seems about right

For what you are looking for (from your first post) the iCarsoft seems about right

Thanks everyone. My iCarsoft 980 arrived today and I've been very impressed.

Quality Car Fault Code readers,and Pro OBD2 Diagnostic Tool supplier - scantool-direct.co.uk were very competitive on price, and supplied mine. A quick phone call before I placed the order was useful and very helpful. No affiliation.

See the Engine section for my DPF errors:doh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom