Whats the best female (mum) hatch choice?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Adam230K

MB Enthusiast
Car
German oil burner
Ok basically i'm looking to get my mum a new car next year and I want to get something reliable, and for it to look decent too. My Dad and I bought the 95 Corsa she's got now 10 years ago with accident damage from a friend for £500 and its been the most reliable car I have ever seen, but she's tired of it so I want to treat her to a new car. I'll worry about myself later!

My conditions are:

1) Cant cost more than £3k
2) must be an automatic and less then 1600cc
3) reasonable level of refinement (ride, road noise etc)

So I was thinking of:

1. Vauxhall Astra (the 1.6L 2005-onwards shapes are appealing, but what are they like to live with?)

2. Toyota Yaris/Corolla - expecting it to be able to travel to the moon and back without a fault

3. VW Polo , in that price range probably cant go past 2003 model.

4. Newer shaped corsa, the old one was great but is the new one as good?

5. A-class? - Something I thought about alot, but after hearing of the horror stories of maintenance costing alot of money i'm not so sure what these are like to live with

Any feedback on my choice above would be much appreciated from you all :)

Nissan Micra
Masda2
Smart ForFour

But there's nothing wrong with the cars you've selected either. I guess it's a reflection of how good and reliable cars are these days. If I had to narrow it down I'd stick to something Japanese myself.

I was thinking more jap cars as well Will, but the ride and refinement of these super-reliable jap cars isn't to the standard of german cars in my price bracket are they?

May be Seat? Not many automatics knocking about. My wife has had 2 Ibizas and I have had one (all prior to my Mercedes days) Good cars always reliable and certainly cheaper to buy than the Polos.

my mother is driving a Nissan Micra auto ,its a great little car , and so far been relaible . Before this she drove a Toyota Yaris , this car never missed a beat in the 5 years she had it for .

Get one with a proper 4/5 speed torque convertor box---- that means JATCO [ and probably a japanese/korean make ] and not one of the CVT/automated clutch efforts.

I'd say Polo but also look at a Skoda Fabia. It's the same car but slightly larger and usually with a better spec than a Polo. But get a comfort or an elegance model. The Elegance even comes with heated seats.

Last edited:
Recommend the Yaris great car. Nissan Micra does have engine problems. Some are made in France - research that part if going that route.

Honda Jazz ?

My mother has had two, but both manuals. Totally reliable, well built and excellent space utilisation, plus a high seating position that makes them easy to use for those of more limited mobility (mother having had a knee replacement).

No idea about the auto though and I suspect a good one is possibly above the price point.

Adam

Let me know if unloading the Corsa privately as my friend is looking for something to learn to drive in.

I' m near Reading Berks.

Adam

Let me know if unloading the Corsa privately as my friend is looking for something to learn to drive in.

I' m near Reading Berks.

Will do

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom