What's the best or worst thing you have ever bought?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Now you've gone off on a totally different tangent. :rolleyes:

I guess I've made my point. I apologise for derailing the thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Best car I've bought - Jaguar XF-R.

Worst car I've bought - E70 BMW X5.

Best thing I've ever bought - my AP watch

Worst thing I've ever bought - Miele washing machine, bought brand new for just over a grand and its very rarely without some issue. Their engineers have been out at least 14 times and the first time it goes wrong again after the warranty is up then it's out!

Worst thing I ever bought: marriage certificate with my first wife's name on it.

Best thing I ever bought: marriage certificate with my second wife's name on it.

My two-penneth on the IVF side-tracking. Whatever it is, it should be the same availability for everyone, no matter where they live in the UK. Some places pay for three sessions, some two and some just one. But it also depends on personal circumstances, such as a couple where one partner already has children then the NHS won't pay for any IVF.

But my ultimate opinion is to agree with Turbo in that it shouldn't be so readily available on the NHS. If you're going to struggle to find the money to pay for IVF, then it follows that you'll struggle to find the money to look after children - they're expensive toys.

My situation? We have a gorgeous daughter who was conceived in a petri dish after well over 15 years of trying naturally (no complaints about those considerable efforts), followed by two different IVF techniques - all at our own expense. I said above that my best purchase was my second marriage certificate, IVF was a very close second.

When we had IVF - The health authority paid for one go if you could meet the "lifestyle" criteria - that is if you were overweight or a smoker and was not prepared to lose weight or give up then it was a no no. Which seems sensible to me.

We decided against the one free go and paid private all the way. Although our GP did give us the first lot of drugs on "prescription" as we declined the NHS treatment (£1500 worth of drugs)

Although it cost me 40 grand all in all to get 2 kids it was worth it. Alot of the 40k was for a private hospital stay when her indoors got proper ill (life threatening) with the first lot of treatment.

Despite me being 40 grand down which would have been a great start in life for the sprogs, I would not have expected others to pay for it as it was our choice.

Might write a thread about it one day as half of it you couldn't make up - especially the first clinic I got chucked out of :)

Worst thing I've ever bought - Miele washing machine, bought brand new for just over a grand and its very rarely without some issue. Their engineers have been out at least 14 times and the first time it goes wrong again after the warranty is up then it's out!

My parents did the same a handful of years ago - on the strength of their "reputation".

Biggest crock of sht they had with a similar number of engineer visits as you.

One of the engineers asked them why they bothered with Miele. He said steer clear!

I found the same with Bosch in our last house.

JohnEBoy said:
My parents did the same a handful of years ago - on the strength of their "reputation". Biggest crock of sht they had with a similar number of engineer visits as you. One of the engineers asked them why they bothered with Miele. He said steer clear! I found the same with Bosch in our last house.
Those big expensive American ones are bad as well.

We've had our Bosch d/w for about 20 years...no break downs.

Smeg fridge freezer had to be replaced under warranty.

Best
1. Six in one screw driver 2xphillips 2xflat 2xawls one of which threaded, bought cheap 30 years ago in MACRO

2. Phillips wireless surround system 6.1 which is more or less defunct but great sound/value and no wires.

3. Vodka and coke for the woman standing next to me at a bar 12 years ago.

Worst.

1. Ford Sierra 1.6L nuff said.

2. Integrated wine cooler - never any wine in it - quick as it goes in it gets drunk.

3. Two lovely ducks for the garden - feckers **** everywhere EVERY 2 minutes

Miele washing machine - first one bought 31 years ago when our cheapo washer/dryer went up in flames. 1 easily fixed fault in 23 years then controller went up in smoke, could still have been repaired but decided to spend an extra £100 and get a brand new Miele - which has been faultless for 8 years so far (and gets used almost daily).

Miele condensing tuumble dryer - collect the condensed water and use it in steam iron, so iron seldom needs cleaning and lasts many years instead of 3-4.

70cm Neff/AEG induction hob - the control of gas with the easy clean of electric.

968 tiptronic - loved the coupe I had for 12 1/2 years but eventually had to scratch the cabriolet itch, so 6 years ago I swopped the tip coupe for a tip cab!

Metabo 10.8 combi drill - small and neat, but so powerful I now seldom use my Metabo 18V combi.

Triton 1/2" router (mounted in router table), wonderful tool. Also Elu 1/4" router for hand held jobs.

The best thing I ever bought is always the last shiny new thing that I acquired, I love new stuff.

The worst thing would be any stuff that's not new, I hate old things.

DrFeelgood, you are a Marketing Man's wet dream!

Please leave me your contact details so I can flog you some shiny tat!

Those big expensive American ones are bad as well.

You mean Smeg?

I heard they were shyte when I first became aware of them a decade or so ago.

The best thing I ever bought is always the last shiny new thing that I acquired, I love new stuff.

The worst thing would be any stuff that's not new, I hate old people.

Old man's piss.

Bleaurgh

Best - a small olight s15r torch. Just brilliant. Try as I might I can't find more at the price I paid.
Worst- another vote for Miele. Dishwasher just doesn't actually wash very well. Actually that's an understatement, it's crap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom