What's the best or worst thing you have ever bought?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If I may add to my list:

Worst: A VAX hoover. It doesn't actually hoover, preferring lo simply skip over the dog hair and dust leaving it exactly where if fell. This assumes that the drive belt has managed to stay on more than 5 minutes (I am not making this up). The electric flex is is positioned to exit the base pf the hoover at the rear. This ensure that you will step on it at least 50 times in as many seconds, before you eventually rip it out the machine. It doesn't even have the good grace to fir in our wheelie bin. Anybody want to buy a boat anchor?

BEST: A SHARK 'lift away' upright hoover. Well designed, brilliant at,,,,well.......HOOVERING things up. Lightweight, well designed and it lights up the floor so you can actually see the dirt ahead of you.

Yes I am a man and (rather sadly) quiet enjoy hoovering - therapeutic.

Last edited:
Best - Miele washing machine and tumble dryer. We were on first name terms with the repair guy for the previous machines we had. These two must be 12 years+ by now and barely a peep out of them. Interesting that views on Miele are so polarised.

Worst - too many to list here - a Rover 213 ranks quite highly though (about the only car I've had that I've actively disliked). And a Magnet kitchen; cost a fortune, incredibly badly installed, barely a straight line, power saw marks left in fresh plaster ("your tiling will cover that, mate" - except we weren't tiling that area), range of wall cupboards sagging in the middle, range of floor cupboards the backs fell out of and he set the whole thing too high so he left our range cooker propped up with the front feet on their last half turn of thread and the back on a block of wood.

There's been lots of highs and lows in my purchasing history, but probably the extremes were both actually the same item.

Worst - engagement ring for fiancee #1. What was I thinking? If only I could go back and slap the earlier version of myself.

Best - engagement ring for fiancee #2. Now Mrs. Gaz, for the last 8 years.

20 years between the two, and although #2 cost many multiples of #1, worth every penny. Age brings wisdom, as they say.

Cheers,

Gaz

Best thing: probably my car. Not the prettiest, not even to me, but whenever I walk away from it I keep turning my head and smile. Says a lot, I guess :thumb:

Worst thing: all the band shirts I bought at concerts that I "soo needed" and was "definitely going to wear". All rotting in the wardrobe now.

Apart from that I'm glad that I have spent my bucks rather wisely over the first 23 years of my life. And I was lucky enough to always get stuff of proper quality. My Toshiba laptop's been used almost everyday for the past 7 years, so has my Canon DSLR camera and my Yamaha western guitar (even longer). Gotta love technology that doesn't let you down, that's actually worth the money.

My rechargeable Fenix UC45 torch that I've owned for over three years has been fantastic.
It's a superb piece of kit.
It has a strobe and four brightness settings and on full power it's unbearable to look into the torch, which, along with the strobe is a great deterrent.
Also waterproof to 2 metres for half an hour.

Druk also has one, and takes it on his travels.

LINK.

Here's one I forgot to mention.
Whether tradesman or DIY these KETER workbenches are super. LINK.

This is the best car related thing I've bought:

shuttle.jpg

cradle.jpg

cradlestored.jpg

shuttle2.jpg

hoist.bmp

and I think one of the worst things my mrs has bought is one of those vegetable choppers where you just stand there, banging this thing up and down like a mindless idiot (I think it was actually from the mother in law!).

0006553_manual-vegetable-chopper.jpeg

Apart from property the best buy was a Bosch dishwasher, 14 years and never missed a beat,
Worst was masking tape from the Pound Shop, if I'd have licked a newspaper and stuck it down it would have been better

Apart from property the best buy was a Bosch dishwasher, 14 years and never missed a beat,
Worst was masking tape from the Pound Shop, if I'd have licked a newspaper and stuck it down it would have been better

I think I may have spoken too soon about our Miele dishwasher, Mrs Ringway may well have finally killed it. Blocked drain and can't sort it out.

Harry, don't buy B&Q own brand masking tape. It is carp.

The best thing I think, (with 3 million unemployed at the time) is/was buying a 66 quid air ticket from Manchester to Schiphol, so long ago now.

It opened up a whole new world and life style change beyond my belief when I packed a bag at about 5,0 am in my West Lancashire house before jumping on that plane!
As my dear old Mah would say "Son when one door closes another one opens"

Tuercas Viejas

The best, although not bought but given me as a gift from a jolly nice chap, a scholar and a gentleman...

My rechargeable Fenix UC45 torch that I've owned for over three years and has been fantastic.
It's a superb piece of kit. :thumb:

Also a hoist in the garage. No more lying under cars on wet and windy days. :bannana:

The worst...

Any kitchen appliance made by Neff. Bloomin things bleep endlessly at the end of whatever cycle they've performed. bleep-bleep-bleep-bleep ad infinitum until you pay it some attention. AAAGGGHHHH! :wallbash::wallbash:

The worst...Any kitchen appliance made by Neff. Bloomin things bleep endlessly at the end of whatever cycle they've performed. bleep-bleep-bleep-bleep ad infinitum until you pay it some attention. AAAGGGHHHH! :wallbash::wallbash:

TOTALLY agree Derek. :thumb:

However, that's not just a Neff thing. We have a mix of different brands in our house and every bloody one does it. (Washer, dryer, dishwasher, microwave) drives us all potty. :crazy: the silly thing is there's no way to disable the 'beep' on any of them.

On the note of washing machines we recently bought a new one. Obviously I did the compulsory 4 days of research before ordering one. I was gobsmacked to find out you can actually get Wi-Fi enabled appliances now + an app for your phone/tablet so that it gives you total control and 'time left' info where ever you are. WTF is that all about?

DeWalt now sell Wi-Fi enabled 18v batteries so you can see via app on your phone the current state of charge for each battery in your van!!!! The worlds gone mad I tell you!

Rant over.

Last edited by a moderator:
^ If it weren't for the obstinate Mrs Druk the wire snips would have been out years ago. bleep-bleep-bleep-snip............ahhhh. :D

Bleeping appliances are the work of pure evil. The townhouse my parents bought had them by the ton, being elderly they couldn't hear them. Horrible things.

Unquestionably the worst: 1994 SL500, Azurite Blue, AMG bodykit. See numerous posts/threads in my profile...

^ If it weren't for the obstinate Mrs Druk the wire snips would have been out years ago. bleep-bleep-bleep-snip............ahhhh. :D

Sounds a good solution in principle Derek but would be surprised one bit if it didn't throw up a 'Fault Code' :wallbash:

Sounds a good solution in principle Derek but would be surprised one bit if it didn't throw up a 'Fault Code' :wallbash:

I'm not that daft Ant. Measure the resistance across the bleeping bleeper and replace it with a resistor. Mrs Druk doesn't believe it would work. Oh ye of little faith. :dk:

Option 2. Stay out the kitchen. :bannana:

Get yourself down here Derek. You can sort out Mrs Ant quingo scooter. It has a reversing alarm similar to a dustbin Lorry. Makes her cringe when she's out in plublic because it draws unwanted attention (I know that's the idea).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom