What's the best type of wood to use

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Harrythedog

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
GLC 250 Sport Premium+
Need to replace the wood frame on the apex above the bay window. Any suggestions as to the best type of wood to use. I've been told well treated pine us ok but I'm not too sure
The frame is similar to this picture (it's the black wood I need replacing)

image-340488335.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

Cedar is the choice of timber around my way for new building work.But a lump that size wouldn't be cheap.
If it is being painted regularly ( every 2/3yrs) prepared and treated pine would be OK I think.

Piranha or Pitch pine would last a long time, but in reality, any softwood that has been treated before fitting would.

You could use tanalised softwood for ultimate protection.

It's painted every 2/3 years but is now starting to rot so needs replacing. The house is about 300m from the North Sea and gets some hammer at times

Douglas fir would be my recommendation.

I had my windows replaced with pine frames and oak sills. So in your case I would suggest a timber that is rich in resin, i.e. pine or perhaps fir as suggested.

If I were you I would seek advice from a timbers stockist, the advice would be free!

Red pine, properly sealed on any cut ends and well painted.

Hammer a copper nail into any wood and it won't rot.

Surely, salt spray would stop any rot.

Funny you should say that but when I had the house pointed a few years back the mortar at the rear was as soft as muck but the sea facing front was like bell metal in places

Western Red Cedar if you can get it.

I would have thought oak or even teak for longevity, though expensive.

I would have thought oak or even teak for longevity, though expensive.

Oak is pretty cheap now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom