What's the biggest mistake of your life?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Sounds like a great plan Stu.

The good thing is that know you need to change things to make you happier. And at 28 your still very young.

Are you happy to stay in the same field? Or would you consider a career change?

Better the devil you know. I have decided that's what I need. I just don't know why I though working for a massive company was going to work. Too much politics and red tape.

I was just wondering if you'd fancy car sales?

You obviously know your motors and are a full on petrol head. I know the weekends would be busy but I've always thought it's a nice working environment. Or maybe blinkered vision on my part.

Sounds rather subsidised to me.

Benefit from subsidised housing discount.
Benefit from house price inflation.
Benefit from preferential sharesave scheme no doubt.
Benefit from tax breaks on pension rules.
Benefit from redundancy payout.
Benefit from generous (subsidised by the firm's monopoly when a nationalised industry?) pension fund at 50.

Now avoiding contributing via tax or NI.

I wouldn't be willy-waving I'd be keeping quiet.

Worked all my life since 16,never claimed any unemployment/ housing benefits,point I was making is life is all about seizing opportunities and making the best of situations that arise,I've had some breaks but I've made the most of them.......

I was just wondering if you'd fancy car sales?

You obviously know your motors and are a full on petrol head. I know the weekends would be busy but I've always thought it's a nice working environment. Or maybe blinkered vision on my part.

Yeah I probably would if it was my own joint. Funnily enough me and two mates discussed this recently but I don't think I want partners.

35 years ago I was offered a woodland in Linderick opposite the golf course for £600. I didn't buy it, it was sold for building land 20 years later, for 1.5 million......

35 years ago I was offered a woodland in Linderick opposite the golf course for £600. I didn't buy it, it was sold for building land 20 years later, for 1.5 million......

I saw a 40 bedroom castle for sale in Scotland earlier for £900k and have to say I thought not a bad hotel/wedding venue opportunity!

I saw a 40 bedroom castle for sale in Scotland earlier for £900k and have to say I thought not a bad hotel/wedding venue opportunity!

Ecclescraig estate near Montrose?

I've contemplated, ruminated and deliberated over this thread. You see, what has gone before has lead to where I am now and this place (psychologically speaking) is a very good place to be.

In times past when I may not have been so philosophical, I would have said my biggest mistake was not taking the opportunities to leave my parent's home and go to live with my grand parents on any of the half-dozen times they asked me to.

The decision not to take them up on their wonderful offers to escape that caustic environment was based on one factor only; I truly believed at that time that, had I left, the next target in the household would have been one of my younger sisters, the oldest of which was seven years my junior.

I used to wonder how much better a person I might have been or how less scarred mentally I would have been but now, I take pride that, at a young age, I had the presence of mind to think of others, regardless of whether or not my assessment of the situation was right or wrong and in spite of the harm I knew would continue to come my way.

Nowadays, I think all roads lead to here and regardless of the slips and falls along the way, I no longer view them as regretful mistakes, only signposts along the way that mark the temporary deviation from life's path to the future.

I guess what I am trying to say is this; whether it be a minor or a major mistake, what's the difference? To try and rank them can only lead to regret and regrets have a way of indelibly marking the soul.

Apologies if this is not what was expected for this thread or if it is inappropriate in any way.

I've contemplated, ruminated and deliberated over this thread. You see, what has gone before has lead to where I am now and this place (psychologically speaking) is a very good place to be.

In times past when I may not have been so philosophical, I would have said my biggest mistake was not taking the opportunities to leave my parent's home and go to live with my grand parents on any of the half-dozen times they asked me to.

The decision not to take them up on their wonderful offers to escape that caustic environment was based on one factor only; I truly believed at that time that, had I left, the next target in the household would have been one of my younger sisters, the oldest of which was seven years my junior.

I used to wonder how much better a person I might have been or how less scarred mentally I would have been but now, I take pride that, at a young age, I had the presence of mind to think of others, regardless of whether or not my assessment of the situation was right or wrong and in spite of the harm I knew would continue to come my way.

Nowadays, I think all roads lead to here and regardless of the slips and falls along the way, I no longer view them as regretful mistakes, only signposts along the way that mark the temporary deviation from life's path to the future.

I guess what I am trying to say is this; whether it be a minor or a major mistake, what's the difference? To try and rank them can only lead to regret and regrets have a way of indelibly marking the soul.

Apologies if this is not what was expected for this thread or if it is inappropriate in any way.

Post of the month for me GVM. :thumb:

Thanks for sharing.

Ant.

Losing Mrs TDE1, the love of my life, last month due to my own stupidity.

And coming back to our favourite hotel on my own, thinking it would be cathartic.

I'm sat in Mallorca, on my own, as I write this.

Ah well, there's always tomorrow.

Losing Mrs TDE1, the love of my life, last month due to my own stupidity.

And coming back to our favourite hotel on my own, thinking it would be cathartic.

I'm sat in Mallorca, on my own, as I write this.

Ah well, there's always tomorrow.

Grab yourself a nice drink in the bar. As one door closes another always opens.

Choosing drink drugs and lads life in the 90's over the stunningly sexy and beautiful Catherine and losing her:doh:

Last edited:
The market is peculiar. Crazy even.

We're seeing flats going for a bit more than larger detached properties.

So a building with its own land is supposedly worth about the same or less than a smaller box in a large building?

That to me says that there is a huge discrepancy between market values and real underlying values - ie. a distortion or bubble.

And that sort of thing concerns me more than Brexit.

It suggests to me that the problems with asset valuations that were at the core of the bank debacle of nearly 10 years ago are manifesting themselves in the wider market place.

The sustained reduction in interest rates over the last 10 years is contributory to this and today we've seen yet another reduction which I fear is at best a waste of time but worse, more likely to ratchet up the asset price distortions.

In the 2008 corrections the problems were huge but basically centralised. Governments could target large institutions and apply financial aid (aka bail them out). If there is a coming property correction in the UK it's poetntially going to be less centralised. More individuals and families will be personally affected outside the main financial institutions.

I still cannot identify this postcode where flats are worth more than larger detached properties, where can it be?

I think they may not be the same postcodes. Maybe the same postcodes that Mb used to use in early comand,ie 5 digits, but not the full 7 digit.

See how I tried to make an Mb reference there.....?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom