What's the buzzing from under the glove box w124 diesel?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

isobars

Car
300SD'79, E300TD '95, 300TDT '82, 280CE '84, 250L '84, 300SEL LPG '91, 300D '80, 300CE '91, 300E '89
Hi All,

I've a 91 300d which is a real pig to start and was begining to think it had something to do with a buzzing noise that I heard from under the glove-box when I turned the ignition.

The hum starts on key-turn, then after about twenty seconds makes a clicking sound and turns into an angry buzz.

The glow-plug light goes off after about five seconds. The car simply fails to explode into life.

My suspicions of the buzz might now be unfounded. This morning I bought another 124 300d ( Estate, 292,000 miles, sweet sound, drives perfectly, great oil pressure) which buzzes merrily, but starts first time.

Could anyone tell me what that puzzling noise is, please?

Cheers,

Paul

Hi,
I don,t have much specific knowledge on a 124 but on a 202 there is a small fan in the overhead console, which draws air over a sensor for information for the cars heater, these can whine and buzz, i believe the 124 has a similar fan but its in the area of the passenger footwell, glovebox. I,d be willing to bet this is what your buzzing is.

'pinn'eck Andy,

That's incredible! They think of everything!

Cheers,

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom