Whats the chance of this fitting in my W124?? 5.0L V8

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If it's the same block as the 500e, I don't see why it wouldn't fit.
But don't quote me......

Not that I know too much about this, but I would have imagined a V8 out of a w126 would have been a better bet, as I'm pretty sure the 500E/124 comesv out of the 126 series.

But as you say PJH; don't quote me on that either.
;)

My understanding was that to get the V8 to fit into the 124's engine bay for the 500E, Mercedes had to do some serious surgery to the chassis?

I will leave that one for a minute then and look for a w126 in the future i need to make some space in the garage first really. Cheers guys it was just a thought :)

DolphiN Tech said:
My understanding was that to get the V8 to fit into the 124's engine bay for the 500E, Mercedes had to do some serious surgery to the chassis?

IIRC chassis of the 500e is a R129 (SL) chassis basically .....

5.0 litre V8 w124's i don't think could be made in RHD because of the steering fouling parts of the engine , hence all 500e's / e500's were LHD

Howard said:
IIRC chassis of the 500e is a R129 (SL) chassis basically .....

5.0 litre V8 w124's i don't think could be made in RHD because of the steering fouling parts of the engine , hence all 500e's / e500's were LHD
Ah but if you dispence with the 124 steering box and fit a C320 rack under the cross member with suitable linkage it would go.

Ian B Walker said:
Ah but if you dispence with the 124 steering box and fit a C320 rack under the cross member with suitable linkage it would go.
I was thinking that it would be a nice little job for you Ian. :D

I also thought that the M119 5.0 V8 as fitted to the W124 500E had a slightly different sump fitted to it as the regular M119 engine as fitted to the SL's and S Classes would not have fitted under the bonnet as the engine would be too tall and they needed to find a way to reduce the deck height of the engine,hence the mod.

Vlad said:
I also thought that the M119 5.0 V8 as fitted to the W124 500E had a slightly different sump fitted to it as the regular M119 engine as fitted to the SL's and S Classes would not have fitted under the bonnet as the engine would be too tall and they needed to find a way to reduce the deck height of the engine,hence the mod.
The modification for the sump is to cut a section out of it to fit over the crossmember and reposition a suitable extention towards the rear of the sump (side or underneath)

The car will probably need serious mods to fit it in, although it could probably be fitted. The 500E has the Jetronic electrics system as well as a few other mods over the standard 5.0L V8 out of the S500 and the SL500. You will need a transmission too, of which might not fit into your existing chassis. It would probably be easier to buy a 500E/C43 or something.

well if anybody is interested it is just down the road from me (15 miles) so if you need anywhere to store it for a short period before getting proper transport organised just let me know.

note - i have no way of getting it to my house, just the space! if it fits with a free weekend i'll even lend a hand getting it out but my mechanical knowledge is somewhere close to that of a newts so would be of limited help i'm afraid :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom