What's the chances of a 211 key surviving a trip to the bottom of a swimming pool?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If you can get isopropanol it will be better than meths but work the same maybe also brush with a stiff paint brush

Pulley fixed.

Now I know why there was a slight vibration at idle. I noticed it a few months ago. I thought it might have been a slight misfire (once had something similar on one of my C43's) so had the plugs changed a few weeks ago (to no avail).

There was also a quiet ffup ffup ffup noise when the bonnet was up.

It is now restored to serene smoothness.

Key sorted; Ben from RMK (replacement Mercedes keys) swung by earlier. Fixed the remote function on the old key and also sorted me out with a new one.

Cheaper than MB and way more convenient.

Happy days.

Footnote; Ben also showed me how to use the remote to open/close all the windows and the sunroof.

This was a function I often used on my C43's but I'd never managed to make work on the 211. This despite much scratching of my head, re-reading of manuals, searching through COMAND sub menus and reading forums.

He explained that it was an IR function and that the trick was to carefully align the remote with the IR sensor on the driver's door.

In my case that means lining it up perfectly at a distance of no more than 5mm.

Fiddly, BUT IT WORKS!!

You'e no I idea how happy I was to have a proper chrome key in my hand on Tuesday, opening and closing all the windows.

In fact I feel like doing it again when I get home. Because I can.

Thanks again to RMK.

Key sorted; Ben from RMK (replacement Mercedes keys) swung by earlier. Fixed the remote function on the old key and also sorted me out with a new one.

Cheaper than MB and way more convenient.

Happy days.

how does he get new MB keys?

you need to show proof of ownership before you can order a key which is coded to your car

you need to show proof of ownership before you can order a key which is coded to your car

Yeah of course you still have to show V5, photo ID, proof of address.

Then he knocks up a key. Minus a load of Mercedes margin. Minus two annoying trips to the dealer and a long wait in the middle.

I guess the bottom line is MB would like everyone to believe that they have the monopoly on this service but they actually don't.

Sean,

IIRC - these companies can read the 'accepted/known' key codes from the car's EIS. There's something like 8 key codes per vehicle?

They then program a blank key to suit. I'm fairly sure MB can supply blank/uncoded keys (which are obviously useless without the equipment and knowledge to code them)

I think there's a handful of these companies operating nowadays. MB don't just give them keys programmed to other people's car without their consent :)

Does the price now include the stainless steel key blade which is in the key fob? I had RMK make a new key for my E55, but they could not then do the blade as well, so I had to get one through the local dealer - another £27, as I recall, a year ago.

There's a firm in Archway (N6 5AX) who will do the whole thing for £199 all in at their workshop, and they're not a million miles away. I think I might pay them a visit; my new (to me) car came with only one key, and on a car like this, it makes me nervous having only one key; if I lose it, I doubt I'll be able to open the door with a bent coathanger and hotwire the ignition.

Does the price now include the stainless steel key blade which is in the key fob?

In my case it did

my new (to me) car came with only one key, and on a car like this, it makes me nervous having only one key; if I lose it, I doubt I'll be able to open the door with a bent coathanger and hotwire the ignition.

Yeah, this has been bugging me for years. You really want two for peace of mind.

How's the 55?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom