What's the chances of a 211 key surviving a trip to the bottom of a swimming pool?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Londonscottish

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E500 & Fiat 500
Oh holiday at the moment and my little girl has just managed to drop the one remaining key for the 211 into the swimming pool....... Groan.

It was in for 5-10 mins (not exactly sure exactly how long). I have now retrieved it and dismantled it in an effort to let it dry out.

I don't need the car for another three days and have breakdown cover but am wondering if the key might work again or if it's toast?

shouldn't be a problem, a gentle blow with a hair dryer should dry it out, once you have back together, get your camera working on your mobile phone, point the key at the lens, if it is working, you should see it light up

I'm sure that you are meant to put wet mobile phones in rice to dry out.

Might be worth a go, seems a more gentle way of drying?

You Tube is your friend here as far as taking the key to bits- depends exactly on the type. Can you dismantle it to expose the circuit board? My fear would be if the water was chlorinated/treated that there might be slight corrosion bridges between parts of the printed circuit board. If you can access the board it might be an idea to go over the surface with say isopropyl alcohol and some cotton buds + magnifying glass if available . [ local chemist- radio shack -televsion repair shop ? ] pay attention to the small gaps between any chip contacts. then dry the whole thing off with a hair drier-- not too hot mind just lots of warm air. Re assemble and test with a new battery/batteries

Last edited:
I am lead to believe that as long as no buttons are pressed which would result in a short circuit, drying it out should work, theoretically. Not sure about the hair dryer though, unless it is has a cold setting.

Thanks guys. Fingers crossed it dries out. Will let you all know tomorrow.....

Hmm.....the key has not come back to life. Will try to find some new batteries but looks like I might have to order a new one.

What's the wait? 10 days or so?

I've ordered one before and seem to recall I have to go to a dealer with all the paperwork and get one ordered from Germany.

Post a picture to let forum members know the exact type of enclosure we are dealing with? Did you strip it down to printed circuit board level like this vid -not necessarily your one but you will get the idea?
[YOUTUBE HD]mL5WW1ejTl4[/YOUTUBE HD]

i orded one about month ago, they asked to see the car along with Proof of ID, v5 and utility Bill, turn around was about 7 days.

Hmm.....the key has not come back to life. Will try to find some new batteries but looks like I might have to order a new one.

What's the wait? 10 days or so?

I've ordered one before and seem to recall I have to go to a dealer with all the paperwork and get one ordered from Germany.

Will it start the car?

Take out the battery compartment, hair dryer it, then leave it in a warm place for a day or so.

Did you remove the batteries aswell? - try new ones.

If you can actually get into the car ( blade key ) then once it's dried , with no batteries in it put the key in the ignition.

The key is energised from the EIS , not from the batteries. So in theory as there is no power in that circuit due to it not being on the battery path , it should still be ok after it's swim.

Many thanks all for your help and guidance! Much appreciated

The AA have just been. Oddly enough the reason the car wouldn't start is that the (car) battery was flat as a pancake (!) - not sure why although in the past the phone bluetooth thingy has refused to switch off and drained the battery.

Anyway, as soon as there was some juice in the battery it fired up fine - so the immobiliser function of the key works fine.

No joy on the remote function - so will now try to track down some 2025's next.

But at least I can lock, unlock and start it so the holiday can continue.

Footnote; but the AA guy did point out that rubbers in the crank pulley are making a bid for freedom - the pulley is wobbling all over the shop. Waiting for a call to book it into the local garage to get that sorted ASAP.......

Ah the old M113 crank pulley problem well spotted the AA bloke. :thumb:

In a Tupperware tub with rice,it absorbs the moisture but you need to keep the lid on :)

Ah the old M113 crank pulley problem well spotted the AA bloke. :thumb:

Hi Grober, I wasn't aware of that particular problem but I am now....

Hats off to Mr AA.

Mine was majorly on the p*ss. I've never seen a pulley wobbling like that.

PS; the new batteries in the key fob didn't sort the remote lock/unlock.

But I can continue on and sort that when I get back to the UK.

I've fixed similar keys before by washing the board in methylated spirits.

Leave the batteries out until you get back to the UK.

It's a worth a try before buying a new key anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom