What's the general consensus on waxing/sealing fresh paint?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MWCLS

MB Enthusiast
Car
S320 CDI Perlite Gray Metallic 2005
Hi all, I picked my car up late yesterday from the bodyshop as I had returned later than expected from a work trip arrived at the shop 5.30 they close at 6pm not open Saturdays so it was my only window to collect the car for another week.

Looked the car over and it all looked good under the lighting, bits of compound here and there,they've had it a month! I wanted to wash the car and get some protection on it today as I've got pretty much zero time in the next couple of months . As I was in a rush I forgot to ask the bodyshop owner about safe products to use.

There seems to be so much conflicting info on how long you should leave the car to 'gas off' the paint is hard, clearly I didn't dig my nail in but on the 10 mile drive home there weren't any fresh stone chips!

Any general advice appreciated , the car is garaged and doesn't have to be used.

** The shop painted the bonnet Thursday morning if that makes any difference no idea when they painted the other parts of the car. ( full paint bar roof) .

Last edited:
I don't know if it correct but I have heard that you do nothing other than gently was for two to four weeks.

Hi all, I picked my car up late yesterday from the bodyshop as I had returned later than expected from a work trip arrived at the shop 5.30 they close at 6pm not open Saturdays so it was my only window to collect the car for another week.

Looked the car over and it all looked good under the lighting, bits of compound here and there,they've had it a month! I wanted to wash the car and get some protection on it today as I've got pretty much zero time in the next couple of months . As I was in a rush I forgot to ask the bodyshop owner about safe products to use.

There seems to be so much conflicting info on how long you should leave the car to 'gas off' the paint is hard, clearly I didn't dig my nail in but on the 10 mile drive home there weren't any fresh stone chips!

Any general advice appreciated , the car is garaged and doesn't have to be used.

** The shop painted the bonnet Thursday morning if that makes any difference no idea when they painted the other parts of the car. ( full paint bar roof) .

I'd speak to the bodyshop that did the work, seek their advice before you touch it.

I just had my bonnet partially resprayed due to some nasty stone chips. The guy that did it said that he had put two coats of a really hard lacquer on to it and baked them both on. He said it was a pain to polish but will make it more chip resistant in the future.

Cheers, I'll give them a call Monday, don't want to muller it!

Usually one to 2 weeks before waxing n sealing

been told three weeks by my body work man just had wing bonnet and bumper sprayed

Last time i had a car in for repairs I was told I could polish it straight away as it had been in the oven...... This said I know absolutely nothing on this subject :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom